Table brace & foot rest - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 10-30-2014, 07:26 AM   #21

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21' pulled with 2014 Silverado Crewcab
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post
If you can cut up a white kitchen cutting board for shimming between the sliding surfaces that would help; it's actually made of UHMW plastic and pretty slippery. You'd have to screw or pin it in place though, can't be glued.
I like it! Countersunk screws...

"Isn't it amazing how much stuff we get done the day before vacation?"
Zig Ziglar
skiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 11:56 AM   #22

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Tractors: Your Destaco clamp idea is next on my list.
Attached Thumbnails
DinBrack2.jpg  
Old 11-01-2014, 12:23 PM   #23

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
Tractors: Your Destaco clamp idea is next on my list.
The only potential problem with those clamps is that they can exert a lot of force. The adjustment between "just enough" and "too much" is fairly small. It would be easy to adjust it for a little too much force and rip the screws out.

But like Jim, I've found the slight amount of friction just about right and we never bother locking our table for side-to-side movement either when it's in use or when we're underway.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 01:54 PM   #24
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
The only potential problem with those clamps is that they can exert a lot of force. The adjustment between "just enough" and "too much" is fairly small. It would be easy to adjust it for a little too much force and rip the screws out.

But like Jim, I've found the slight amount of friction just about right and we never bother locking our table for side-to-side movement either when it's in use or when we're underway.

Ron
The Destaco clamp comes with a rubber tip. That can be adjusted up/down over a 1/4 inch range and locks in place with two nuts. I set it with just enough force to hold the table in place; it can still be moved by pushing on one edge very firmly. Easy to adjust while the table is flipped upside down.

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 02:03 PM   #25

[QUOTE=tractors1;71751]I set it with just enough force to hold the table in place; it can still be moved by pushing on one edge very firmly. /QUOTE]

Clever. That'll avoid any problem with too much force.

Ron
Old 11-02-2014, 02:11 PM   #26

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21' pulled with 2014 Silverado Crewcab
Quote:
Originally Posted by skiman View Post
Tubes seem OK. All the slop is is in the slides. I thought I would start with tightening screws. Then adding some feet between the table top and lower piece of plywood shimmed to create a borderline interference between the two.
I took the table/slide apart yesterday and tightened screws. For some reason screws were pretty loose. It took 2/3 of slop out. I still want to put cutting board material in there per Charlie's suggestion.

"Isn't it amazing how much stuff we get done the day before vacation?"
Zig Ziglar
skiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 10:19 AM   #27

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Going to try these: $36.99 each; RV Wholesalers
Folding Table Leg Base

Durable 24" aluminum tripod base extends 24" and quickly converts most RV tables into outdoor tables. Folds to 4" x 16". Weighs only 2-1/2 lbs.
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 10:49 AM   #28

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
Folding Table Leg Base
That is way cheaper than Camping World's price. I have looked at these before, they are available all over the place, but it would seem they would raise the table height by a fair bit, up to 6", which would make it awkward for sitting at, especially if lawn chairs are used.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 11:28 AM   #29

Am thinking of them for inside mostly; perhaps the tubes can be shortened. One of the reasons we like the u-shape dinette is the table isn't as unwieldy. We can store it easily in the back of the TV, but would like the option of using it occasionally- especially on our first camping Thanksgiving.
Old 11-07-2014, 11:30 AM   #30

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15B - 2014 Nissan Frontier SL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
Folding Table Leg Base

Durable 24" aluminum tripod base extends 24" and quickly converts most RV tables into outdoor tables. Folds to 4" x 16". Weighs only 2-1/2 lbs.
Sorry you missed when I was giving mine away!! Tried various table legs and these did raise too high, were still wiggly, and we're just as hard to remove the post. Just our experience... Would still recommend the free standing legs we and Ian use. (They are on our website. )
techfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 11:43 AM   #31

Appreciate the quick reply and got the order cancelled. Still looking for the right solution for occasional table use inside.
Old 01-03-2015, 11:30 AM   #32

Trailer: Bigfoot 25' 2018
It seems better to add to this thread than start a new one. So:

I'm about to temporarily raise the dinette floor in our 19, to match the raised dinette. I want to check how it works before raising the electrical panel and do the finish carpentry. My current question regards the tipsy table.

In the first post of this thread Charlie showed a leg support, and in post 22 Myron showed a similar modification. How well did this work? It should reduce the wobble but mostly at the front, and not do much for the top base slop. In your experience did the mod fix the problem?

I'm thinking of putting in three table legs, two spread apart at the front (of the trailer) and one to the rear as is now there. Three supports should stop the table from tilting. Then, if needed, apply the fix Charlie & Myron did to the two front legs. That should fix all degrees of freedom and create a solid table, but still readily removable.

The two front legs would take up more space, and partially block the outlet(s) at the front of the dinette. There are only two of us though and the table is more than large enough. The outlets can be moved when the panel is raised.

Also thinking of using flush mounting base similar to these since the floor will be raised enough.

I'm looking for input before I order either 2 or 3 of these legs.

Thanks.
currinh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 02:02 PM   #33
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Quote:
Originally Posted by currinh View Post
It seems better to add to this thread than start a new one. So:

I'm about to temporarily raise the dinette floor in our 19, to match the raised dinette. I want to check how it works before raising the electrical panel and do the finish carpentry. My current question regards the tipsy table.

In the first post of this thread Charlie showed a leg support, and in post 22 Myron showed a similar modification. How well did this work? It should reduce the wobble but mostly at the front, and not do much for the top base slop. In your experience did the mod fix the problem?

I'm looking for input before I order either 2 or 3 of these legs.

Thanks.
The mod I did greatly stabilized the table; note there were two hangers used - above and below the rear brace, which made it easy to "capture" the rear leg all the way around (rear is against the brace.) While it's not "rock solid" it's now rigid enough that the binding of the ETI slide mechanism under the table is gone.

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 02:30 PM   #34

I knew from sitting in the demo trailer that I didn't like the sloppy factory pedestals so I had my trailer delivered without the table pedestals installed.

I fabricated a table base out of 1" aluminum tube.

Aside from the slop in the factory pedestal the second thing that I didn't like was that the two pedestal bases took up a lot of the space where people like to put their feet.

I put the the front most legs hard up against the front wood panel. When I'm sitting in the dinette my feet don't end up playing footsies with the table legs. So I think you're on the right track and putting the legs as far forward as possible worked for me.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
P4230055_resize.jpg  
Old 01-03-2015, 09:37 PM   #35

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
My rear post cross-brace has also proved to be a good move. Table wobble now mostly a non issue. Also liking the brace available as extra shelf space.
Old 01-04-2015, 12:07 AM   #36

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
We just added 3/4 ply on whole bottom . It slides smoother . Also added shelf across back . Helps table and it is handy .
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 01:17 PM   #37

I made a shot at a three leg table. I combined it with the shelf concept though.

I put two flush mount table leg bases on the outsides of the shelf. Then rebuilt the table "platform" to mount on three legs. After shortening two table legs it all goes together. Much more stable than the original two post system. I'm very pleased with it.

Blow by blow description at the Raised Dinette thread.

Thanks for your help.
Old 01-16-2015, 02:35 PM   #38

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Very interesting. Looks good.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 05:00 PM   #39

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
Can the table still be lowered to make the bed? From the photo, it appears the "platform" might come all the way to the table edge.
Old 01-17-2015, 09:58 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by santacruzer View Post
Can the table still be lowered to make the bed? From the photo, it appears the "platform" might come all the way to the table edge.
I think you're right, there is a problem. I must have tried the fit before final assembly. I'll have to cut out the support rails to clear the wings of the "platform". I think that will fix it but the table might tilt for lack of support in the front. I may have to trim the "platform" back at the front and put a lip on the shelf to support the front of the table. It is fixable.

Thanks for the observation. I'd likely have found this in the middle of nowhere trying to set up the bed. Much easier to fix at home.