Table brace & foot rest - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 10-28-2014, 08:18 PM   #1
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Table brace & foot rest

Wife hates the wiggly table in our 21. My long legs like a foot rest. Combining the two into one solution using plumbing pipe supports and a T-shaped board across the rear of the trailer to capture the rear table post - board in the rear and the J-hooks for both sides and front (one mounted on top and one mounted below the board.)

Board will be secured to both benches with threaded wooden inserts in the bench rails to use machine threaded truss screws so it's quick to take down when the grandkids need a place to sleep.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0637.jpg   IMG_0638.jpg   IMG_0640.jpg  

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 11:09 PM   #2

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21' pulled with 2014 Silverado Crewcab
Question U shaped dinette movement

I have the U shaped dinette in my 21'. There is a lot of left right slop between the post and top sliding mechanism. I am looking for suggestions? Any help!

"Isn't it amazing how much stuff we get done the day before vacation?"
Zig Ziglar
skiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 12:51 AM   #3

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Hi skiman if I think I understand you on my 19 ft to strengthen the slide (it moves more easier) and doesn't kind of hang down I added A 3/4 piece of plywood on top of the orignal ply . I removed the table post holders and then put back on my ply. Now because it is very strong moves much better . I don't know if this will help you if this is what you mean .
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 06:25 AM   #4

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Another reason to get the "U" dinette with the smaller sliding table, no slop movement. In my 19 I had this issue and did not want a repeat problem. I wonder why Escape did not continue with the original plan with the table attaching to the rear wall with a single fold down led as show in the website pictures. It is a non sliding table but perhaps with less slop involved.
Is everyone locking their table while under tow, the side to side movement may be also contributing to the slop issue.
Old 10-29-2014, 07:11 AM   #5

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19', 1974 Boler
Quote:
Originally Posted by skiman View Post
I have the U shaped dinette in my 21'. There is a lot of left right slop between the post and top sliding mechanism. I am looking for suggestions? Any help!
I have always hated the pedestal type table legs, they are not stable (wiggle a lot), and are often difficult to convert the table to a bed with my bad back. I searched high and low until I found the perfect solution for me. I have had these legs in both my Boler and Casita for the past 2 years. The table in the Boler is 36" square and 3/4" thick (re: heavy). Every day we convert the dining area into a bed and back, with this leg system I can raise and lower the table with one hand. It is also very stable and as a bonus the table is free standing so it can be moved outside. The only negative some people may find is that it has to be in a lowered position and secured for travel to hold it in place

Leg system available here

Ian G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 07:14 AM   #6

Ian, is the table still "magic" and slides over for ease of egress and entrance?
Old 10-29-2014, 07:17 AM   #7

Sorry Carl, I missed your comment on your "U" dinette, did you try switching your legs. Is the slop in the slide mechanism or the table itself? I lock my table for travel, that may help.
Old 10-29-2014, 07:59 AM   #8

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19', 1974 Boler
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Ian, is the table still "magic" and slides over for ease of egress and entrance?
yes we had ETI leave the slide mechanism on the table so we anticipate this will make access easier but I cannot tell you for sure as we have not taken delivery or tested it in our Escape yet. On both the Boler and Casita we did not incorporate a slide, we simply move the entire table slightly sideways to improve access.
Ian G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 09:27 AM   #9

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
That cross brace for the back table post is a great idea. I'm not so happy with the sliding table either and have been thinking about shortening mine 6 inches at the wall just to make it easier to sit at the street side seat.
Old 10-29-2014, 09:34 AM   #10
Commercial Member

I'm looking for a better slide mechanism than the plastic track thingy ETI uses. Not really sure what that part is designed for, but it isn't straight enough on my table to be called a "slide."

Has anyone seen one of these locking legs?

http://www.braddandhall.com/productc...&idcategory=38

www.RVWidgetWorks.com
Old 10-29-2014, 10:45 AM   #11

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post
I'm looking for a better slide mechanism than the plastic track thingy ETI uses. Not really sure what that part is designed for, but it isn't straight enough on my table to be called a "slide."

Has anyone seen one of these locking legs?

Removable RV Table Leg Assembly
We have never had an issue with the slide, though we don't have or use any locking hardware. Never an issue, and it travels 99% of the time as a table.

While we are not bothered too much by the wee bit of wobble, something solid would not be a bad idea. I kinda like the look of those pedestals, and not too bad of a price either. Shipping to Canada might be another matter though.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 10:55 AM   #12

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post
I'm a little puzzled why your slide doesn't work for you. Mine seems OK. The major slop was because of that horrible tube and base. The primary problem being the very poor sloppy fit of the taper into the base. Definitely not a morse taper.

Have you examined yours to see if maybe it was an installation problem? I guess for a super smooth slide one could try installing a full extension drawer slide.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 11:44 AM   #13

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
Have you examined yours to see if maybe it was an installation problem? I guess for a super smooth slide one could try installing a full extension drawer slide.
I like the idea of a bit of friction, so that it doesn't slide too easy, especially when you are not ready for it.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 11:58 AM   #14

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15B - 2014 Nissan Frontier SL
Another interesting table observed in a Parkliner at the NOG the beginning of October. Uses the standard wall mount and folding single leg but has a full slide underneath that is pushed back when the table is folded in half. It gives a lot of room when in 1/2 mode but still lots of room. Set up can be done with people already seated.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3551.jpg   IMG_3552.jpg   IMG_3553.jpg   IMG_3554.jpg   IMG_3555.jpg  

techfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 03:45 PM   #15
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by techfan View Post
Another interesting table observed in a Parkliner at the NOG the beginning of October. Uses the standard wall mount and folding single leg but has a full slide underneath that is pushed back when the table is folded in half. It gives a lot of room when in 1/2 mode but still lots of room. Set up can be done with people already seated.
Don't forget this one. One of the most well crafted table mods I've seen:

http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...-mod-3887.html
Old 10-29-2014, 05:24 PM   #16
Commercial Member

Finished the table mods - added a leftover Destaco clamp at the rear of the table and trashed the ETI locking knob. Used brass threaded inserts to secure the footrest/brace so I can remove/install with #8 machine screws instead of wood screws. Stiffened things up so well the ETI slides don't chatter/bind up anymore (a tad of Lithium grease no doubt helps.)
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0641.jpg   IMG_0647.jpg   IMG_0649.jpg   IMG_0650.jpg  

www.RVWidgetWorks.com
Old 10-29-2014, 07:11 PM   #17

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by techfan View Post
Looks a lot like the one I built for my Scamp several years ago

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
10-12-2011 4-09-53 PM  008_resize.JPG   10-12-2011 4-09-54 PM  009_resize.JPG   10-12-2011 4-09-54 PM  0010_resize.JPG  
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 07:28 PM   #18

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15B - 2014 Nissan Frontier SL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
Looks a lot like the one I built for my Scamp several years ago

Ron
Also very nice! I like these ideas because they allow for a big table, but are essentially extremely sturdy. I almost wish I had chosen to do something like this but I did not have ETI install the blocking necessary to mount the table to the wall.
techfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 07:31 PM   #19

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21' pulled with 2014 Silverado Crewcab
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Sorry Carl, I missed your comment on your "U" dinette, did you try switching your legs. Is the slop in the slide mechanism or the table itself? I lock my table for travel, that may help.
Tubes seem OK. All the slop is is in the slides. I thought I would start with tightening screws. Then adding some feet between the table top and lower piece of plywood shimmed to create a borderline interference between the two.

"Isn't it amazing how much stuff we get done the day before vacation?"
Zig Ziglar
skiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 09:51 PM   #20
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiman View Post
Tubes seem OK. All the slop is is in the slides. I thought I would start with tightening screws. Then adding some feet between the table top and lower piece of plywood shimmed to create a borderline interference between the two.
If you can cut up a white kitchen cutting board for shimming between the sliding surfaces that would help; it's actually made of UHMW plastic and pretty slippery. You'd have to screw or pin it in place though, can't be glued.

www.RVWidgetWorks.com