Table Height revisited - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-10-2016, 02:01 PM   #1

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Table Height revisited

Redoing my table again, making the top smaller. While I'm at it I'm going to install regular ball bearing drawer glides as opposed to the plastic style ETI uses. It brings up the question of what's the ideal table height.

The original double leg height was 32" from an UNraised floor to the top of the table, the legs were just a tad over 30".

The Springfield pedestal is 28", if I use the original table top on it I'd loose 2" of height for a total of 30"

I had shimmed this up with a piece of 3/4" ply when I installed the pedestal, but even that only makes it 30 3/4".

Reading a few old threads I see anything from 29" up to close to 33". Does anyone know if there is such thing as an ideal height?
Old 11-10-2016, 02:05 PM   #2

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Won't that depend on how tall a person is? Especially when sitting down? I'd just figure out something to test out what height works best for you, since it's your trailer.
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 02:15 PM   #3

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Bob, the standard height for a table top is 30", and a chair seat is 18". Ensuring about 12" between seat and table height will give you the comfort you are used to.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 03:38 PM   #4

Thanks, the bench top = 18", if I add 2" to the pedestal I'd have the 30" table top. Must just be the 3 or 4" cushion that makes the difference. I'll use 30".

Laura, I'm 6'2", Deb's 5'3", kind of like Mama and Papa bear, ones too high, the other is too low.
Old 11-10-2016, 03:55 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
Thanks, the bench top = 18", if I add 2" to the pedestal I'd have the 30" table top. Must just be the 3 or 4" cushion that makes the difference. I'll use 30".
Is that 18" to the top of the cushion, or the bench lid? I know this was an issue where some folks raised the floor as they found the benches too high. The new models have the floor raised with the mould.

Quote:
Laura, I'm 6'2", Deb's 5'3", kind of like Mama and Papa bear, ones too high, the other is too low.
My one grandpa was 6' 4", and my granny was 5' -0 1/4". She was quite proud of that 1/4". There wedding photo had granny standing beside grandpa sitting, and they were near the same height.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 11-10-2016, 05:16 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Is that 18" to the top of the cushion, or the bench lid? I know this was an issue where some folks raised the floor as they found the benches too high. The new models have the floor raised with the mould.
That's to the bench lid/bottom of the cushion. A while back I asked Deb if the floor was too low when sitting, she says it's fine as is so no need to raise half the floor.
Old 11-10-2016, 05:57 PM   #7

Quote:
That's to the bench lid/bottom of the cushion. A while back I asked Deb if the floor was too low when sitting, she says it's fine as is so no need to raise half the floor.
You will likely have to shim the pedestal to get it to a comfortable level, probably close to what it was before.
Old 08-07-2017, 03:35 PM   #8

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA
Length of screws into floor with Springfield pedestal?

Quote:
Bob,

Did you add 2" on top of or under the pedestal?

What length screws did you use to attach the base to the floor. I believe you have the stock factory 2014 floor.

Does your table slide back to front? I saw some other threads that said that orientation wouldn't work, but I believe that was with non-5.0TAs.

Thanks,
David
D&R_SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 05:06 PM   #9

David, if you use just the original 1/2" plywood between the slide and the pedestals plate that ETI used, on mine at least, you'd end up with a height of 30" to the table surface. I added 3/4" to the 1/2" for just under 31" height.

Here's a pic of the table top upside down sitting on horses in the basement. You can see the 3/4" that was added. I used wood inserts https://www.ezlok.com/inserts-for-wood in the 3/4 for the bolts before I attaching it to the 1/2".

1" SS screws to the floor.

had 2 holes to fill in the floor after I finished, HD sells a laminate repair kit that worked good enough.
Attached Thumbnails
table top.jpg  
Old 08-07-2017, 08:24 PM   #10

thanks

Thanks Bob.
Old 09-06-2017, 11:21 AM   #11

Hi Bob,

Finally got around to copying what you had done with the 3/4" plywood and inserts.

My last question is where did you set the base? As I'm writing this I had the thought that if you only had two old holes exposed, you must have centered it between the former bases.

Thanks,

David
Old 09-06-2017, 11:54 AM   #12

Still wanting the table to work as a bed, I slid the table top all the way towards the front (aisle), put the table sort of in place and pushed it down and locked it at it's bed height. Then just slid the whole unit back so it was roughly 1/4" shy of the back dinette. In essence, it is in bad mode. Turned the base a bit to get the holes where I wanted them and drilled for the screws.

I ended up where the table when all the way forward and pushed down, it's perfect for making it into a bed. When pushed back it gives me the max open area.

If you want it forward a little more then me, do the same thing but slide it forward to where ever you prefer the forward limit to be. Just make sure it's down on the "bed rails" so it lines up correctly.

Let me know if this isn't clear, I can take some pictures if needed.

I can take pictures if you need them.
Old 09-06-2017, 12:14 PM   #13

I get what you are saying. No need for pictures.

I guess i need to make sure my size 13s will fit behind the pedestal, if I'm sitting on the back of the u.

Thanks again,

David