Table pedestal -- is it worth it? - Page 10 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-21-2016, 09:26 AM   #181

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
That's great news Jim that they took care of you. Hopefully they will at least update their product description. Improving the design would be even better.

A couple points on cutting the Springfield to fit the Dicor slide: Do wear safety glasses as metal is flying (although no sparks....aluminum is soft) AND mark your holes to drill and set the slider aside or else you get shavings in the slide track (don't ask how I know).
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 09:52 AM   #182

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
That's great news Jim that they took care of you. Hopefully they will at least update their product description. Improving the design would be even better.
I believe they are a good company, just one that needs a better, more informed staff if they want to sell direct to the public, and a much better product description as you mentioned. Heck, the slide for the price was even better than I what I thought it might be, given their description, which really was not much other than an illustrated video.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 01:33 PM   #183

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21, 2016 GMC Canyon Duramax
Quote:
It does go low enough for the bed rails on a raised floor, but you need to orient the clamps to the side to be able to open the top one easily.

BTW- for those wanting to use a smaller table as we did- 23" front to rear is the smallest you can go with the Dicor slider.
Ross, I would like to do a table like yours. What are the exact dimensions of the long side. I know it tapers a bit. Is the table 3/4 inches thick? Thanks.
stephen99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 03:20 PM   #184

Hi Stephen- the table is 23" front-rear, which is about an inch shorter than if you were to cut it where the cut-corner is in the stock table.

To answer your question, the "long side" or width- where it lays across the rails is 33 11/16 X 34 13/16. That is net without the t-moulding which is 1/16" thick or adds 1/8 total width.

I wouldn't use my measurements to cut though- I had one ETI filler board to use and had cut my own second one. The first attempt worked but I wouldn't want that angle on my table. When making my floor platform I needed to use 1/4" backer board and that would be a cheap material to practice with. You want it wide enough to be secure in the bed position but not have to shoehorn it in.

For the rounded corners a cabinet shop clamped my stock table to the new one for a template then used a router.
Old 04-21-2016, 03:31 PM   #185

Quote:
Hi Stephen- the table is 23" front-rear, which is about an inch shorter than if you were to cut it where the cut-corner is in the stock table.

To answer your question, the "long side" or width- where it lays across the rails is 33 11/16 X 34 13/16. That is net without the t-moulding which is 1/16" thick or adds 1/8 total width.

I wouldn't use my measurements to cut though- I had one ETI filler board to use and had cut my own second one. The first attempt worked but I wouldn't want that angle on my table. When making my floor platform I needed to use 1/4" backer board and that would be a cheap material to practice with. You want it wide enough to be secure in the bed position but not have to shoehorn it in.

For the rounded corners a cabinet shop clamped my stock table to the new one for a template then used a router.
Thanks Ross. I asked ETI how much for a raised floor and they quoted $300. I may just let them do it. Also, my wife just informed me she prefers the original size table so I may just let ETI make the table top too since I'm already paying for it and there's no credit for not taking it. With the Dicor slider on a Springfield pedestal the table top can be anywhere from the dinette to the kitchen. I still like the idea of a smaller table and will hold the final decision. I have plenty of time.
Old 04-24-2016, 01:29 PM   #186

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21 "LollyPop" June 12, 2017, sold Coleman pop up
Looks like Overtons has the Springfield pedestal at 15% off for the next three days for those who may be interested.
casejh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 01:42 AM   #187

Trailer: 2017-21' Escape (sold) Casita 17' (sold)
Quote:
It does go low enough for the bed rails on a raised floor, but you need to orient the clamps to the side to be able to open the top one easily.

BTW- for those wanting to use a smaller table as we did- 23" front to rear is the smallest you can go with the Dicor slider.
This is a question for anyone who has done the Springfield pedistal + Dicor 4 way slide combo mod....

I'm not a petite guy, build wise, and i'm slightly concerned that I'll keep hitting a thigh on the small levers that protrude down from the Dicor slide.

could this be an issue?

I ask before I order a Dicor slide, and cut down my Springfield pedistal top.

and FWIIW - it has been confirmed that the 2017 21' will have a 3" raised dinette floor

and FWIIW... we will NOT have a U-shaped dinette. (if this impacts possible thigh clearance issues)

I'll attach pics from an earlier post by someone else ... i did not take these pics.

thanks everyone.
Attached Thumbnails
Springfield plus Dicor slide combo 20160419_195747[1].jpg   Springfield plus dicor slide 20160419_170339[1].jpg  
Losangeles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 12:36 PM   #188

Trailer: 2016 17A
With our 17A we installed the Springfield base with the ETI provided slides. The ETI slides are plastic extrusions and have some sloppiness but operate smoothly. I cut down the table by about 6-7 inches, installed the ETI slides in a front-to-back orientation, and the Springfield base off-center toward the back of the trailer. This allows us to pull the table forward and rotate it 90-degrees which creates two seating spots that are now very easy to access. Off-setting the table base makes room for a dog bed at night which was the criteria that started the whole process. The Dicor slide looks great but does seem to occupy a few significant inches of knee space.
Old 05-29-2016, 12:45 PM   #189

Trailer: 2017 Escape21. Pick up date May,2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by liveoakal View Post
With our 17A we installed the Springfield base with the ETI provided slides. The ETI slides are plastic extrusions and have some sloppiness but operate smoothly. I cut down the table by about 6-7 inches, installed the ETI slides in a front-to-back orientation, and the Springfield base off-center toward the back of the trailer. This allows us to pull the table forward and rotate it 90-degrees which creates two seating spots that are now very easy to access. Off-setting the table base makes room for a dog bed at night which was the criteria that started the whole process. The Dicor slide looks great but does seem to occupy a few significant inches of knee space.
Dog bed? Did you make it so the bed would be on the cushions or underneath the table?
Ginger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 01:20 PM   #190

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginger View Post
Dog bed? Did you make it so the bed would be on the cushions or underneath the table?
Under the table. We learned on our maiden voyage home from Chilliwak that our black lab occupied all of the floor space on her bed at night. This arrangement moves her bed under the table and out of the way.
Old 05-29-2016, 01:40 PM   #191

Quote:
I am on the fence regarding what slide to use. I already have the pedestal and was considering the Dicor but will go with the ETI slide if it works ok. Could you post a picture showing the Springfield pedestal with the ETI slide? I am curious how it all fits together.
Old 05-29-2016, 01:43 PM   #192

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
We did the same mod except cut about 12 in off table and for basically the same reason . The 3 kids (Shih Tzu ) going in a folding nylon dog play pen on the dropped table for the night . Table will completely turn ,reinstalled Escape slide moves front to back or side to side just by unlatching pedestal . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 02:31 PM   #193

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
....... Escape slide moves front to back or side to side just by unlatching pedestal . Pat
Can anyone explain to me (I am easily confused)

What does the Dicor slide offer that the ETI slide does not?

We have the Springfield pedistal

We will not be getting the Ushaped dinette.

2017 21' on order

My concern is the Latches that hang down below the Dicor slide, hitting my thighs.

Old 05-29-2016, 02:57 PM   #194

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Losangeles View Post

2017 21' on order

My concern is the Latches that hang down below the Dicor slide, hitting my thighs.

That would also be my concern ,about the knees and a unnecessary added cost when you already have the Escape slide to reuse . Do a search for the many pics of this mod . If you can't find let me know and I will repost pics again for you . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 04:19 PM   #195

Quote:

2017 21' on order

The Dicor Slide is nice as it gives greater stability than what the stock ETI slide provides. It also gives greater range of motion, however with the standard table that won't be as much of a benefit as with a smaller one.

Being that our floor is raised 3.5 inches also gives more clearance, however your 2017 21 will have the 3".

I would start with the standard slide and see how it works for you with the Springfield before you order the Dicor slide and chop the pedestal base down.
Old 05-29-2016, 04:39 PM   #196

Quote:
The Dicor Slide is nice as it gives greater stability than what the stock ETI slide provides. It also gives greater range of motion, however with the standard table that won't be as much of a benefit as with a smaller one.

Being that our floor is raised 3.5 inches also gives more clearance, however your 2017 21 will have the 3".

I would start with the standard slide and see how it works for you with the Springfield before you order the Dicor slide and chop the pedestal base down.
Thanks. That is very helpful.

I assume then I could easily do the chop later, if I decided to add the Dicor slide later?

No cosmetic downside to start with only the pedistal ?

I would save about $150 usd and it sounds as if I would maybe not miss the Dicor with my setup.
Old 05-29-2016, 04:47 PM   #197

Quote:
Thanks. That is very helpful.

I assume then I could easily do the chop later, if I decided to add the Dicor slide later?

No cosmetic downside to start with only the pedistal ?

I would save about $150 usd and it sounds as if I would maybe not miss the Dicor with my setup.
I think you're right. I plan on going with the U-shaped dinette so the tabletop will be smaller than a standard table. With the Springfield pedestal rotating, a 2 way ETI slide becomes a 4 way slide sorta. My only concern is height of the table in lowered position for use as a bed. With the new floor height in the 2017s I guess we'll have to wait and see if the combo goes low enough to reach the support rails.
Old 05-29-2016, 04:48 PM   #198

Since the Classic 21 & 5.0TA are the only tow models with a flat floor it may be that using even just the Springfield Pedestal only is going result in too low of a table height without blocking up underneath. That is what Captmath did when mating his Springfield with Dicor....which evidently he needed to do as he didn't have a raised floor.

Leon & Lindy have the Springfield with standard table and love it, but they also have a raised floor.
Old 05-29-2016, 05:45 PM   #199

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:

This is good assessment. A regular dinette with a full sized table would not benefit at all from the 4-way slide.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 11:51 AM   #200

17A table pics

Here are some photos of my table. Hope they may be helpful.

Allan

Springfield pedestal offset toward the rear.

Table top trimmed back.

ETI slides mounted front-to-back.

Table pulled forward.

Table swung left.

Then pushed center.