Table pedestal -- is it worth it? - Page 12 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-21-2016, 11:37 PM   #221

Trailer: 5.0 TA hatched April 2017
Question

I was wondering if the one or two people that have installed the Lagun pedestal by Marine tech could chim in. I would like to install one and wondered if the back of U shaped bench should be reinforced for the pedestal to be installed? What do you think the table top dimensions should be?
Terry H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 12:50 AM   #222

Trailer: 2017 5.0 TA picked up in July 2017.
Yes the vertical wall of the bench will need to be reinforced and there may be some interference with the cushions so you may need to add a block of wood as a spacer.

I am toying with the idea of having the walls reinforced by the refrigerator and/or stove and then mounting the pedestal along the front side of the U shaped dinette. It might be easier to use a reinforced wall to help anchor the front side of the bench for mounting the plate. A rectangular table top could be sized to fit anywhere in the U shape and also can stick out into the aisle for use as an additional counter space. I plan on having the 12" filler board and cushion for a lounge and the pedestal won't interfere if it is on the front edge.
SFDavis50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 07:35 AM   #223

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Be careful, most reinforcement is from the middle up, not 100% coverage to the floor. The Lagun table has been discussed here on other threads and if you research it the consensus is you will have to install it yourself as the reinforcement needed will not be done by ETI.
Old 12-22-2016, 11:49 PM   #224

Trailer: 5.0 TA hatched April 2017
I know I will be installing. Sounds as if the reinforcement should be mounted on the face of the bench, that way it will give the pedestal cushion clearance and keep it from interfering with inside bench space. So from what I understand either the passenger side of the bench or drivers side might be better for the install. But will this interfere with the use of the bench when sitting?
Terry H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 11:39 AM   #225

Trailer: 2014 5TA/ *012 17B (previous)
Is it possible for others who are using the Springfield pedestal and cut down the size of the factory table to indicate the size they cut the table to and why? And is it working well - the size they chose?
'Have No Regrets'
Chapitre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 11:53 AM   #226

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapitre View Post
Is it possible for others who are using the Springfield pedestal and cut down the size of the factory table to indicate the size they cut the table to and why? And is it working well - the size they chose?
We have the Springfield pedestal . Mainly to make it easy to make dinette to a bed at night for the dogs . There are 3 , all together 29 lbs . We got a nylon playpen from Camping World for 28 . Keeps them all snuggled together off the floor for the night . Also cut down table to make it easier to get in dinette in the 19 . Kept the side to side length so it still makes into bed . Really didn't need the huge table like we thought . Cut 4 in off back , have a shelf across in back , across rails . Cut the front off , I think about 8 in , which is now our removable counter extension . Many pictures in our albums . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 12:01 PM   #227

Trailer: Escape 21 'Toto'
Our table is 18" front-to-back, and it has worked well. If I had it to do over again (that's NOT happening), I would make it about 24" front-to-back, and have an appropriately sized filler board to use when we want a bed. At 18" it works fine most of the time but for working (laptop, paper, etc.), slightly bigger would be better.

Also: we re-used the ETI 2-way slide that came with our stock (U-shape) table, and if I were to re-do I would try to get that 4-way slide (I forget the name).

Who knows, maybe we will re-do it some time! But many projects higher on the list. Always.
Old 01-16-2017, 12:04 PM   #228

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by drpaddle View Post
Also: we re-used the ETI 2-way slide that came with our stock (U-shape) table, and if I were to re-do I would try to get that 4-way slide (I forget the name).
Hi Doug. I can't remember - do you use the springfield pedestal? It so, my understanding is that the table should be able to spin because of the pedestal so there would not be a need for the 4 way slide. So perhaps I'm wrong on that? Or maybe you don't have the pedestal support?
Jill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 12:11 PM   #229

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill View Post
Hi Doug. I can't remember - do you use the springfield pedestal? It so, my understanding is that the table should be able to spin because of the pedestal so there would not be a need for the 4 way slide. So perhaps I'm wrong on that? Or maybe you don't have the pedestal support?
You are correct . We reused Escape slide and table will swing all around . That was the reason for removing back 4 in . Pat
Old 01-16-2017, 12:15 PM   #230

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
You are correct . We reused Escape slide and table will swing all around . That was the reason for removing back 4 in . Pat
Thanks Pat. We have our first big trip in just 2 weeks. I'm going to see if I can get a new table made in time. I think this will be a big improvement as we are finding the big table a bit more than we need for the 2 of us. A smaller table will be more versatile. I intend to keep the old table and have a new one made so we can switch back if we have a need for it.
Old 01-16-2017, 12:17 PM   #231

Quote:
Thanks Pat. We have our first big trip in just 2 weeks. I'm going to see if I can get a new table made in time. I think this will be a big improvement as we are finding the big table a bit more than we need for the 2 of us. A smaller table will be more versatile. I intend to keep the old table and have a new one made so we can switch back if we have a need for it.
Welcome Pat
Old 01-16-2017, 12:32 PM   #232

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Quote:
Knowing I wanted the Dicor 4-way slide as we have a u-dinette I mocked up different sizes and went with 23" front to rear. The Dicor needs at minimum 22".

Working very well for us- we make the dinette into a bed regularly and is much easier than stock twin poles.
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 01:00 PM   #233

Trailer: Escape 21 'Toto'
Quote:
It's true that the Springfield pedestal rotates and makes it easier to live with a 2-way slide. You can see how ours looks and works, sort of, in this blog post.
Old 01-16-2017, 05:12 PM   #234

Thanks Doug - your blog is really helpful!

I think we're going to go with a 28" depth front to back as we currently do not have the U dinette, so want it wide enough for someone to sleep on. If we go much deeper than that I think it would become useless for sitting on. And of course we'll keep the 35" width so it will still rest on the side rails.
Old 01-16-2017, 07:39 PM   #235

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
I made a new top at 24" front to back, in essence I cut off the angled part of the u dinette table. Went with either 10 or 12" drawer slides so I wouldn't have to take apart the original table top. I like the new size but Deb likes the original. Glad I didn't cut up the original..

Fwiw... the ball bearing drawer slides let the table shake a lot if you leave it extended. Hadn't thought of that.
Old 01-16-2017, 09:31 PM   #236

Trailer: 2017-21' Escape (sold) Casita 17' (sold)
we have a 2017 21' with a stock dinette, (so not a U dinette) and the Springfield pedistal, along with the stock Escape (2 way) slide

makes it very very easy to switch from bed to dinette in moments.

we learned that there is no point to have a 4 way slide in our setup.

we are very happy with it all.

I will say that our setup is * slightly * more fragile feeling than i thought it would be, but we'll be careful and we'll be fine.

ever so slightly wobbly.

John
Losangeles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 10:33 AM   #237

Trailer: 2016 17A
Quote:
I modified the table in our 17A to 1) improve access and 2) create bed space for our dog below. The pedestal is biased toward the rear which helps create the labrador sized bed area. The escape supplied slides are remounted front-to-back allowing one to pull it slightly forward in order to rotate the entire table. An unanticipated benefit of having the table swing sideways is that it allows one to sit and put on one's shoes in the morning. We are very happy.

You can see the results in posting #200 on this thread dated 05/31/16.

Happy trails,
Allan
Old 01-28-2017, 08:16 AM   #238

Just wondering what others have used to attach the Springfield pedestal to the table bottom - I know Bob-Padlin used T-nuts , just looking to see what has worked for others?
'Have No Regrets'
Old 01-28-2017, 08:57 AM   #239
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Just wondering what others have used to attach the Springfield pedestal to the table bottom - I know Bob-Padlin used T-nuts , just looking to see what has worked for others?
Are we talking about the stock table base? I just attached the plywood square to the pedestal with screws. Sturdy.
Old 01-28-2017, 11:19 AM   #240

Yes just the plate on top of the Springfield to the current plywood slider from escape.
Thanks
'Have No Regrets'