"Texas"fan option for refrigerator - Page 5 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 12-02-2013, 08:27 AM   #81

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthe View Post
Okay so bottom line here -- can we in general, figuring that we're not in extremely hot places -- count on the freezer to keep meat and fish frozen?
Ruthe, we have had no problems with out fridge to date. We have the larger 6.7 cu-ft fridge in our 19'. During a 3 week vacation last summer with outside temperatures varying from about 15° C to 34° C (59° to 93° F) with the fridge powered the entire time by propane (including driving), items in the freezer including ice-cream remained frozen. In our case, the warmer temperatures prevailed for only about 1 week.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 09:27 AM   #82

Trailer: Escape 19 February 2014
Here's another question. With the additional fan is there additional noise? THe thing we loved about our Dometic in the Airstream was that it was absolutely silent.
Ruthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 11:05 AM   #83

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Since there are some of us who seem to know how these things work, I have often wondered, if operating off 120v, does the refer need an exhaust and fresh air intake. The reason I ask is, as some have already mentioned, in cold weather the refer is not as efficient as in more temperate climates. Would it not be good to cover the fresh air intake to (1) make the trailer warmer in colder climate and (2) help the refer? I realize this only applies to 120v operation.
I am ignoring Josephson junction and other solid state coolers.

Both compressor and absorption refrigerators work better in cooler weather. Both use a fluid which circulates inside the fridge and takes heat from the inside to the exterior. The fluid is either heated (absorption) or compressed, and passes through a "radiator" to give up heat to the outside air.

The differences are in efficiency and the details of the cycle - fluids used, piping, leveling requirements, etc. Compressor coolers are better except: 1) they are usually noisier and 2) they run on electricity, not LP. Off the grid solar houses often (usually?) use high efficiency, well insulated compressor fridges rather than absorption units because they are so much more efficient.

Blocking the exterior vents will cause the fridge interior temperature to rise, since the fluid will have only warm (stagnant) air to try to give heat to. (Wrapping the electric heating element and the fluid pipe though it with insulation would make it work better since more of the heat would get used in the fridge cycle - but could (WOULD) cause problems running on LP.)
jamman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 11:17 AM   #84

Forgive me if I'm repeating something already posted, but I just spoke to Reace who said that there is a product called the Camco Solar powered frig vent that could be installed on the top of the trailer above the frig, after the build is complete, and this is reputed to do the same thing as the Texas Fan. It's a bit cheaper than the Texas fan would be at the initial installation and definitely cheaper than installing the Texas fan after the fact.
Old 12-02-2013, 11:49 AM   #85

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Ruthe,
See post #6 here it refers to this Solar-powered RV Fridge Vent System - Camco 42165 - Refrigerator Accessories - Camping World
this will work only if you have the roof vent, so in making your refer decision, make sure you get the refer with the roof vent, it may only be the big one (6.7?)
Old 12-02-2013, 11:52 AM   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamman View Post
I am ignoring Josephson junction and other solid state coolers.

Both compressor and absorption refrigerators work better in cooler weather. Both use a fluid which circulates inside the fridge and takes heat from the inside to the exterior. The fluid is either heated (absorption) or compressed, and passes through a "radiator" to give up heat to the outside air.

The differences are in efficiency and the details of the cycle - fluids used, piping, leveling requirements, etc. Compressor coolers are better except: 1) they are usually noisier and 2) they run on electricity, not LP. Off the grid solar houses often (usually?) use high efficiency, well insulated compressor fridges rather than absorption units because they are so much more efficient.

Blocking the exterior vents will cause the fridge interior temperature to rise, since the fluid will have only warm (stagnant) air to try to give heat to. (Wrapping the electric heating element and the fluid pipe though it with insulation would make it work better since more of the heat would get used in the fridge cycle - but could (WOULD) cause problems running on LP.)
I'm only concerned with absorption refers operating off 120v, do they operate the same as compressor units or is the absorption still operating using the 120v as a source of heat?
At home your refer is a heat pump, it cools by pumping the heat out of the box. Thus you will fell heat around the exchange unit and the cooler you keep the area, the more efficient it becomes. Is this theory the same with absorption refers?
Old 12-02-2013, 12:21 PM   #87

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19' #2
Quote:
Ruthe,
See post #6 here it refers to this Solar-powered RV Fridge Vent System - Camco 42165 - Refrigerator Accessories - Camping World
this will work only if you have the roof vent, so in making your refer decision, make sure you get the refer with the roof vent, it may only be the big one (6.7?)

Roof vent comes on all 19 & 21 now. I'm sure 5T will also have it.
Old 12-02-2013, 12:28 PM   #88

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
Quote:
I'm only concerned with absorption refers operating off 120v, do they operate the same as compressor units or is the absorption still operating using the 120v as a source of heat?
At home your refer is a heat pump, it cools by pumping the heat out of the box. Thus you will fell heat around the exchange unit and the cooler you keep the area, the more efficient it becomes. Is this theory the same with absorption refers?
Absorption units on 120V use a resistance heater (think toaster) for heat instead of an LP flame, they do not use a compressor. ALL refrigerators are heat pumps - the cooler the outside heat exchanger the more efficient the fridge.
jamman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 12:30 PM   #89

Trailer: 19'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kountrykamper View Post
Last week, Kim told me the fridge in the 19`trailer has 2 side vents: One for intake, one for exhaust. j
jamie beers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 12:48 PM   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kountrykamper View Post
I think it depends on which refer, currently but supposedly I read someplace where Escape in 2014 will only be installing the standard 6.7 with roof vent in the 19 and 21 without any substitutions, for simplifying things. I maybe wrong.
That may eliminate a lot of the disparities the members have between units of the same type.
Old 12-02-2013, 12:51 PM   #91

I guess you`ll find out soon how the 6.7 is installed in the 21 ........

oh, in the Dometic installation manual they pair the roof vent with an intake in the floor, so that would seem new for Escapes also.
Old 12-02-2013, 12:52 PM   #92

I know I have the roof vent, saw it in the build pictures. Yes, counting the hours…..
Old 12-02-2013, 01:42 PM   #93

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
Jim, are you watching the weather map for the delivery route to PA? This is snowstorm season!
Old 12-02-2013, 01:47 PM   #94

yes, and you can be one of my "weather cams"….
Old 12-02-2013, 04:31 PM   #95

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamie beers View Post
Last week, Kim told me the fridge in the 19`trailer has 2 side vents: One for intake, one for exhaust. j
We have the 4.3 with a roof vent. The mold on the 19 was changed a while back to accept the roof vent. I think Kim is about a year behind on this. I would ask Reace or Tammy because I have seen many come off the line with the 4.3 and roof vent and it was not anything that was special ordered.

This is our trailer and if you look close you can see where the mold has been changed for the roof vent. From what I have seen this was done somewhere in late 2012.

Old 12-02-2013, 04:39 PM   #96

Here is a better view of Parker & Carols 19. It has a 6.7 but you can see how the mold was changed to make a flat spot for the roof vent.

Old 12-02-2013, 04:58 PM   #97

thanks for the pictures. This is what Reace was talking about today when he told me that if we didn't get the fan and we had trouble with cooling in hot temperatures then we could get the Camco Solar powered frig vent to replace the roof vent. He said it is an extremely simple replacement. Not much cheaper than the Texas fan if the Texas fan is put in during the build, but maybe neither will be necessary with the new way they are installing them. He won't know til people go camping in the heat next summer.
Old 12-02-2013, 05:08 PM   #98

Trailer: No more Escape 21
The Amazon comments on the Camco unit were not all the favorable, problem with the solar unit and noisy fan.
Old 12-02-2013, 05:27 PM   #99

I saw that too. I think factory install would be a better option.
Old 12-02-2013, 07:53 PM   #100

Cool, thanks for the pics. On each picture it seems like a side intake vent can be seen. If so, I guess the roof vent fridges can be installed with a floor or side intake.

(off topic - too bad the 19 mold can`t be changed to accommodate a maxx fan in bathroom : ) )