The narrow space under the sink in the 19 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 01-07-2019, 05:25 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: West Coast, Florida
Trailer: None now
Posts: 1,278
The narrow space under the sink in the 19

I've been doing a wiring project and needed to feed 12v dc to the side of the cabinet by the door. I looked and found this where someone removed the back panel.
A few modifications to my 19
I noticed the panel is glued on so it is not removable without destroying it.

So I decided to cut (3) 3 inch holes in the panel to gain access.
Now that I am done I got to thinking about that being a lot of wasted space back there. There are the 2 wheel wells and a bit of wiring along the top and the rest is just space.
So has anyone else with a 19 opened that area up?
__________________

wetzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 05:38 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Kent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Bozeman, Montana
Trailer: 2018 5.0TA / 2018 GMC Canyon/Duramax
Posts: 551
The quick answer is yes. Another forum member has installed a cabinet door by the entry door in the cabinet to make a long storage area above the wheel wells.

I recently ran 6 gauge wire from the back to the panel next to the door so I can relocate my battery disconnect switch next to the entry door.

I do not think those panels are glued, but attached with small nails.
__________________

__________________
2018 GMC Canyon/Duramax / 2018 5.0TA

"Live Life as if everything is rigged in your favor"
Kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 05:42 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Steve Clark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Fremont, California
Trailer: 2016 21. '15 Ford Explorer V-6
Posts: 1,482
I don’t know about a 19, Tom, but I remember Santiago used that space on his 21 to house 2 batteries on each side. He needed space for a total of 6 batteries and put those spaces to use. The other 2 batteries were kept in their traditional location, under the rear u-shape dinette.
__________________
Steve and Debbie
2016 - 21'

“Get out the map and lay your finger anywhere down” -Indigo Girls
Steve Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 05:47 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Kent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Bozeman, Montana
Trailer: 2018 5.0TA / 2018 GMC Canyon/Duramax
Posts: 551
Found the thread posted by MarkVT

Kitchen Side Wheel Well Cabinet Completion
__________________
2018 GMC Canyon/Duramax / 2018 5.0TA

"Live Life as if everything is rigged in your favor"
Kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 05:53 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: West Coast, Florida
Trailer: None now
Posts: 1,278
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kent View Post
Found the thread posted by MarkVT

Kitchen Side Wheel Well Cabinet Completion



That's what I was trying to find. I remembered it was on here but could not find it. According to Escape the area is not structural so I can remove the panel. Mine like the post I linked to is glued and stapled on. I can see the staples but reaching in my holes and pushing does not budge the panels. So I will cut them out instead of ripping them free like the post showed. More space to store stuff like toilet paper and tank chemicals, whats not to like about that.
wetzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 06:02 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: North Van., British Columbia
Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Posts: 4,830
Yes, and I also opened up the space in a different way for different reasons.

First of all, in my experience, the panels do have a few daps of glue in addition to the small staples. I have removed them without damage by gently prying them off.

Mark did a beautiful job of making that space an extension of the under counter storage area. He also did something similar on the other side under the furnace as I did also. There's a huge amount of wasted space there also.

In my case I wanted a secure area to meet Canadian regulations for carrying, umm, long objects.

So I installed a door under the counter extension and made a shelf that runs the full length of the counter. Great fairly secure storage space for all sorts of small valuables as well as longer ones.

Ron
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 15-05-2015 10-14-33 AM_0001_resize.jpg (188.1 KB, 60 views)
File Type: jpg 15-05-2015 10-14-58 AM_0003_resize.jpg (222.3 KB, 56 views)
File Type: jpg 15-05-2015 10-15-46 AM_0006_resize.jpg (172.1 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg 27-11-2014 2-57-22 PM1_resize.jpg (202.7 KB, 61 views)
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 06:20 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
rubicon327's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Burlington Twp., New Jersey
Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Posts: 3,244
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
He also did something similar on the other side under the furnace as I did also. There's a huge amount of wasted space there also.
Ron: I love that under furnace storage area. I would just need to relocate the propane/CO detector. What size door was ordered from Escape? Is the wood framing surround there in its entirety or was that added by you?

On edit I think I found the size: 12-1/4” H x 11”
Optional drawer under closet
__________________
“One way to get the most out of life is to look upon it as an adventure.”― W.F.
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 06:27 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: West Coast, Florida
Trailer: None now
Posts: 1,278
Ron, the storage area under the fridge has a panel to the rear of it too. I was able to just reach over it to feed my fish tape and wire but now wonder if that too could be removed to add more space.
wetzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 06:59 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Phoenix Area, Arizona
Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
Posts: 762
Quote:
Originally Posted by wetzk View Post
Ron, the storage area under the fridge has a panel to the rear of it too. I was able to just reach over it to feed my fish tape and wire but now wonder if that too could be removed to add more space.
Yes. You can remove it and access a lot more space, very much like under the sink.
jamman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 07:11 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: North Van., British Columbia
Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Posts: 4,830
Looks like I added a bit of solid wood around 3 edges.

Someone recently purchased some non ETI doors from another source and they were much less pricey. But given a door under the furnace is next to an existing door the ETI door might be a better choice.

There is a lot of space and if you find the thread where Mark opened his space completely you'll see it. In my case the door provides access for what you can see but also the space over and between the wheel wells. I have a lot more than the tool bag stored in that area.

Also makes running wires etc. much easier.

Ron
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 23-11-2014 3-49-27 PM5_resize.JPG (336.3 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg 23-11-2014 3-39-10 PM6_resize.jpg (175.1 KB, 47 views)
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 08:21 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
rubicon327's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Burlington Twp., New Jersey
Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Posts: 3,244
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
Looks like I added a bit of solid wood around 3 edges.

Someone recently purchased some non ETI doors from another source and they were much less pricey. But given a door under the furnace is next to an existing door the ETI door might be a better choice.

There is a lot of space and if you find the thread where Mark opened his space completely you'll see it. In my case the door provides access for what you can see but also the space over and between the wheel wells. I have a lot more than the tool bag stored in that area.

Also makes running wires etc. much easier.

Ron
Thanks Ron.
__________________
“One way to get the most out of life is to look upon it as an adventure.”― W.F.
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 10:10 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
Eggscape's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Kelowna, British Columbia
Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Posts: 1,238
I will be opening up the area under the furnace in my 2018 19. However I am not going to worry about matching up an oak door. I will be just using a vent hinged like a door. I will paint it black to match the furnace so it looks like it is part of the heating system. This may provide a bit of security to whatever is behind it.
__________________
So many modifications...so little time.

http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 11:08 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: North Van., British Columbia
Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Posts: 4,830
That's pretty clever, saves $ and makes a possibly more secure storage area.

I re-located my propane detector to the other side to the left of the under sink doors.

One side benefit of using a vent is that location is there's lots of heat from the furnace more or less trapped in that area. It might let some out into the interior.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 10:56 AM   #14
Senior Member
 
Patandlinda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Ventura County, California
Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Posts: 5,687
Quote:
Originally Posted by wetzk View Post
I've been doing a wiring project and needed to feed 12v dc to the side of the cabinet by the door. I looked and found this where someone removed the back panel.
A few modifications to my 19
I noticed the panel is glued on so it is not removable without destroying it.

So I decided to cut (3) 3 inch holes in the panel to gain access.
Now that I am done I got to thinking about that being a lot of wasted space back there. There are the 2 wheel wells and a bit of wiring along the top and the rest is just space.
So has anyone else with a 19 opened that area up?
I found a lot of wasted space in trailer . I also moved detector to opposite kitchen cabinet . Cut open space under heater. Only needed to extend 2 wires which are under a false floor I made in cabinet .The propane line is behind the wood I lined new cabinet with . Purchased door and hardware from Escape . Pat
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0012.jpg (137.4 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0013.jpg (102.4 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0014.jpg (96.5 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0015.jpg (144.0 KB, 16 views)
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 11:02 AM   #15
Senior Member
 
Patandlinda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Ventura County, California
Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Posts: 5,687
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
I found a lot of wasted space in trailer . I also moved detector to opposite kitchen cabinet . Cut open space under heater. Only needed to extend 2 wires which are under a false floor I made in cabinet .The propane line is behind the wood I lined new cabinet with . Purchased door and hardware from Escape . Pat
Also under kitchen cabinet, modified cabinet. Opened up cabinet and redid . on the wheels , carpeted, found a net at Harbor Freight which holds all things put there. The cabinet down on bottom is still the same just shorter for cans etc. I use screws instead of staples and glue . On the wheels I have paper towels, toilet paper, kleenex , now all in one place . Pat
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0016.jpg (158.2 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0017.jpg (191.8 KB, 33 views)
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 03:54 PM   #16
Senior Member
 
Eggscape's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Kelowna, British Columbia
Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Posts: 1,238
I like that idea Pat...I might just make the back wall a little higher.
__________________
So many modifications...so little time.

http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 04:37 PM   #17
Senior Member
 
Patandlinda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Ventura County, California
Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Posts: 5,687
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggscape View Post
I like that idea Pat...I might just make the back wall a little higher.
The reasoning I had was the height still keeps things from falling out at the bottom and you want to be able without too much trouble getting your items out from the wheel area . I have even had a 1/2 gallon of water in the bottom for dogs water , no problem . The best part was a cabinet over the dinette , passenger side is a food cabinet , like chips , bread , cookies etc. so much better to have one storage for paper towels etc. now before on longer trips things like paper towels were in different cabinets , now in one place . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 04:39 PM   #18
Senior Member
 
Patandlinda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Ventura County, California
Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Posts: 5,687
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
The reasoning I had was the height still keeps things from falling out at the bottom and you want to be able without too much trouble getting your items out from the wheel area . I have even had a 1/2 gallon of water in the bottom for dogs water , no problem . The best part was a cabinet over the dinette , passenger side is a food cabinet , like chips , bread , cookies etc. so much better to have one storage for paper towels etc. now before on longer trips things like paper towels were in different cabinets , now in one place . Pat
Also I didn't show very well but the area where the 2 wheels come together has a space that is lower , keeps tollet tissue rolls , perfect . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 08:31 AM   #19
Senior Member
 
rubicon327's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Burlington Twp., New Jersey
Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Posts: 3,244
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
I also moved detector to opposite kitchen cabinet.
Pat/Ron: Where did you grab 12V power for the relocated CO/propane detector? I'm not aware of anything on the galley side down low or maybe I just haven't looked hard enough. Thanks.

Inquired with Escape for the 12" x 11" door. Unfortunately the doors I removed from the upper front cabinet when I installed my mini-split are too wide.
__________________
“One way to get the most out of life is to look upon it as an adventure.”― W.F.
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 10:57 AM   #20
Senior Member
 
Eggscape's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Kelowna, British Columbia
Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Posts: 1,238
Not that this info will help you Dave or others with older trailers but the models with the new flush stove have a power feed to the back of the stove for the electric igniter.
__________________

__________________
So many modifications...so little time.

http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off






» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Escape Trailer Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:22 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.
×