The narrow space under the sink in the 19 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 01-07-2019, 05:25 PM   #1

Trailer: None now
The narrow space under the sink in the 19

I've been doing a wiring project and needed to feed 12v dc to the side of the cabinet by the door. I looked and found this where someone removed the back panel.
http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...html#post72932
I noticed the panel is glued on so it is not removable without destroying it.

So I decided to cut (3) 3 inch holes in the panel to gain access.
Now that I am done I got to thinking about that being a lot of wasted space back there. There are the 2 wheel wells and a bit of wiring along the top and the rest is just space.
So has anyone else with a 19 opened that area up?
wetzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 05:38 PM   #2

Trailer: 2018 5.0TA / 2018 GMC Canyon/Duramax
The quick answer is yes. Another forum member has installed a cabinet door by the entry door in the cabinet to make a long storage area above the wheel wells.

I recently ran 6 gauge wire from the back to the panel next to the door so I can relocate my battery disconnect switch next to the entry door.

I do not think those panels are glued, but attached with small nails.
Kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 05:42 PM   #3

Trailer: 2016 21. '15 Ford Explorer V-6
I don’t know about a 19, Tom, but I remember Santiago used that space on his 21 to house 2 batteries on each side. He needed space for a total of 6 batteries and put those spaces to use. The other 2 batteries were kept in their traditional location, under the rear u-shape dinette.

“Get out the map and lay your finger anywhere down” -Indigo Girls
Steve Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 05:47 PM   #4

Trailer: 2018 5.0TA / 2018 GMC Canyon/Duramax
Found the thread posted by MarkVT

http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...html#post85711
Kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 05:53 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kent View Post

That's what I was trying to find. I remembered it was on here but could not find it. According to Escape the area is not structural so I can remove the panel. Mine like the post I linked to is glued and stapled on. I can see the staples but reaching in my holes and pushing does not budge the panels. So I will cut them out instead of ripping them free like the post showed. More space to store stuff like toilet paper and tank chemicals, whats not to like about that.
Old 01-07-2019, 06:02 PM   #6

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Yes, and I also opened up the space in a different way for different reasons.

First of all, in my experience, the panels do have a few daps of glue in addition to the small staples. I have removed them without damage by gently prying them off.

Mark did a beautiful job of making that space an extension of the under counter storage area. He also did something similar on the other side under the furnace as I did also. There's a huge amount of wasted space there also.

In my case I wanted a secure area to meet Canadian regulations for carrying, umm, long objects.

So I installed a door under the counter extension and made a shelf that runs the full length of the counter. Great fairly secure storage space for all sorts of small valuables as well as longer ones.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
15-05-2015 10-14-33 AM_0001_resize.jpg   15-05-2015 10-14-58 AM_0003_resize.jpg   15-05-2015 10-15-46 AM_0006_resize.jpg   27-11-2014 2-57-22 PM1_resize.jpg  
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 06:20 PM   #7

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
He also did something similar on the other side under the furnace as I did also. There's a huge amount of wasted space there also.
Ron: I love that under furnace storage area. I would just need to relocate the propane/CO detector. What size door was ordered from Escape? Is the wood framing surround there in its entirety or was that added by you?

On edit I think I found the size: 12-1/4” H x 11”
http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f7...tml#post197154
Old 01-07-2019, 06:27 PM   #8

Ron, the storage area under the fridge has a panel to the rear of it too. I was able to just reach over it to feed my fish tape and wire but now wonder if that too could be removed to add more space.
Old 01-07-2019, 06:59 PM   #9

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by wetzk View Post
Ron, the storage area under the fridge has a panel to the rear of it too. I was able to just reach over it to feed my fish tape and wire but now wonder if that too could be removed to add more space.
Yes. You can remove it and access a lot more space, very much like under the sink.
jamman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 07:11 PM   #10

Looks like I added a bit of solid wood around 3 edges.

Someone recently purchased some non ETI doors from another source and they were much less pricey. But given a door under the furnace is next to an existing door the ETI door might be a better choice.

There is a lot of space and if you find the thread where Mark opened his space completely you'll see it. In my case the door provides access for what you can see but also the space over and between the wheel wells. I have a lot more than the tool bag stored in that area.

Also makes running wires etc. much easier.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
23-11-2014 3-49-27 PM5_resize.JPG   23-11-2014 3-39-10 PM6_resize.jpg  
Old 01-07-2019, 08:21 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
Looks like I added a bit of solid wood around 3 edges.

Someone recently purchased some non ETI doors from another source and they were much less pricey. But given a door under the furnace is next to an existing door the ETI door might be a better choice.

There is a lot of space and if you find the thread where Mark opened his space completely you'll see it. In my case the door provides access for what you can see but also the space over and between the wheel wells. I have a lot more than the tool bag stored in that area.

Also makes running wires etc. much easier.

Ron
Thanks Ron.
Old 01-07-2019, 10:10 PM   #12

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
I will be opening up the area under the furnace in my 2018 19. However I am not going to worry about matching up an oak door. I will be just using a vent hinged like a door. I will paint it black to match the furnace so it looks like it is part of the heating system. This may provide a bit of security to whatever is behind it.

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 11:08 PM   #13

That's pretty clever, saves $ and makes a possibly more secure storage area.

I re-located my propane detector to the other side to the left of the under sink doors.

One side benefit of using a vent is that location is there's lots of heat from the furnace more or less trapped in that area. It might let some out into the interior.

Ron
Old 01-08-2019, 10:56 AM   #14

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by wetzk View Post
I've been doing a wiring project and needed to feed 12v dc to the side of the cabinet by the door. I looked and found this where someone removed the back panel.
http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...html#post72932
I noticed the panel is glued on so it is not removable without destroying it.

So I decided to cut (3) 3 inch holes in the panel to gain access.
Now that I am done I got to thinking about that being a lot of wasted space back there. There are the 2 wheel wells and a bit of wiring along the top and the rest is just space.
So has anyone else with a 19 opened that area up?
I found a lot of wasted space in trailer . I also moved detector to opposite kitchen cabinet . Cut open space under heater. Only needed to extend 2 wires which are under a false floor I made in cabinet .The propane line is behind the wood I lined new cabinet with . Purchased door and hardware from Escape . Pat
Attached Thumbnails
DSC_0012.jpg   DSC_0013.jpg   DSC_0014.jpg   DSC_0015.jpg  
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 11:02 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
I found a lot of wasted space in trailer . I also moved detector to opposite kitchen cabinet . Cut open space under heater. Only needed to extend 2 wires which are under a false floor I made in cabinet .The propane line is behind the wood I lined new cabinet with . Purchased door and hardware from Escape . Pat
Also under kitchen cabinet, modified cabinet. Opened up cabinet and redid . on the wheels , carpeted, found a net at Harbor Freight which holds all things put there. The cabinet down on bottom is still the same just shorter for cans etc. I use screws instead of staples and glue . On the wheels I have paper towels, toilet paper, kleenex , now all in one place . Pat
Attached Thumbnails
DSC_0016.jpg   DSC_0017.jpg  
Old 01-08-2019, 03:54 PM   #16

I like that idea Pat...I might just make the back wall a little higher.

Old 01-08-2019, 04:37 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggscape View Post
I like that idea Pat...I might just make the back wall a little higher.
The reasoning I had was the height still keeps things from falling out at the bottom and you want to be able without too much trouble getting your items out from the wheel area . I have even had a 1/2 gallon of water in the bottom for dogs water , no problem . The best part was a cabinet over the dinette , passenger side is a food cabinet , like chips , bread , cookies etc. so much better to have one storage for paper towels etc. now before on longer trips things like paper towels were in different cabinets , now in one place . Pat
Old 01-08-2019, 04:39 PM   #18

Quote:
The reasoning I had was the height still keeps things from falling out at the bottom and you want to be able without too much trouble getting your items out from the wheel area . I have even had a 1/2 gallon of water in the bottom for dogs water , no problem . The best part was a cabinet over the dinette , passenger side is a food cabinet , like chips , bread , cookies etc. so much better to have one storage for paper towels etc. now before on longer trips things like paper towels were in different cabinets , now in one place . Pat
Also I didn't show very well but the area where the 2 wheels come together has a space that is lower , keeps tollet tissue rolls , perfect . Pat
Old 01-09-2019, 08:31 AM   #19

Quote:
I also moved detector to opposite kitchen cabinet.
Pat/Ron: Where did you grab 12V power for the relocated CO/propane detector? I'm not aware of anything on the galley side down low or maybe I just haven't looked hard enough. Thanks.

Inquired with Escape for the 12" x 11" door. Unfortunately the doors I removed from the upper front cabinet when I installed my mini-split are too wide.
Old 01-09-2019, 10:57 AM   #20

Not that this info will help you Dave or others with older trailers but the models with the new flush stove have a power feed to the back of the stove for the electric igniter.