The nerdstick, relocated - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 09-02-2016, 11:29 AM   #1

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
The nerdstick, relocated

I bought a two-foot length of steel pipe labeled "1-1/4 inches" but measured 1-3/8 inches inside diameter, just big enough to hold my antenna mast. I had a welding shop weld a square steel plate to it and drill four holes. Then after painting the assembly I mounted it onto the rear bumper of my trailer with galvanized square U-bolts.

I located the mount near the end of the back bumper in order to clear as much of the right taillight as possible. I used U-bolts to avoid drilling into the bumper, but now I'm having second thoughts, so I may drill and put one bolt through the back bumper to keep the mount from migrating off the end while I'm towing.

I secured the mast to the pipe with a hole drilled through both and a bolt through them at the bottom. There is a bit of "rattle room" at the top of the pipe. I put one wrap of Gorilla Tape there to take up some of the gap, but I might shim the mast somehow if I can think of something to put there.

The mast is at about the same height as it was when mounted on the spare tire carrier. When retracted the white WireEng cellular antenna is below the level of the trailer's A/C. The black VHF antenna (hard to see in the photo of the mast retracted) extends a few inches above the A/C, but I can easily remove it for travel. I cut off the ends of the long U-bolt that holds the Jack TV antenna to the mast, as they came close to the fiberglass body of the trailer when lowered. I put rubber caps over the ends of that U-bolt.

Please see attached photos.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mast_mount.jpg (379.5 KB, 67 views)
File Type: jpg mast_mount_2.jpg (318.3 KB, 62 views)
File Type: jpg mast_extended.jpg (299.9 KB, 69 views)
File Type: jpg mast_retracted.jpg (296.9 KB, 70 views)

Old 09-02-2016, 11:42 AM   #2

Trailer: Looking for a Quality Built Trailer!
very nice work..
so the mast stays in the pipe holder while traveling?
you extend this section by section while in the pipe holder?

sorry for what is probably a redundant question.
the mast was purchased where?

was thinking of putting a connection box inside the curb side rear hatch on an Escape 19 or a dedicated connector port on the lower rear of the Escape
Thank for the info

freespirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 11:52 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by freespirit View Post
very nice work..so the mast stays in the pipe holder while traveling?

sorry for what is probably a redundant question.
the mast was purchased where?

was thinking of putting a connection box inside the curb side rear hatch on an Escape 19 or a dedicated connector port on the lower rear of the Escape
Thank for the info
Yes, when I had the mast mounted on the spare tire carrier I left it on all the time. It has held up pretty well like that for two years, so I'll continue doing this. The mast is aluminum, and I'm pretty sure it will wear out in a few more years. I keep an eye on it.

I bought the mast at Ham Radio Outlet in Portland, Oregon. Details are in the thread "The Nerdstick, Revisited".

I run my cables through the hatch for the trailer's power cord. I wish I had a second hatch for stuff like this, but I can make it work.
Old 09-02-2016, 12:04 PM   #4

Quote:
you extend this section by section while in the pipe holder?
Thank for the info
Sorry, forgot to answer this: Yes, I extend the mast by section when it is in the mount. There are three sections, and when fully extended the mast is a bit less than fifteen feet long, not counting the antennas. When retracted the mast is a bit more than five feet above the trailer's bumper, again not counting the antennas. It no longer retracts fully due to the room taken up by the bolt through the end of the bottom section to hold the mast in the pipe.
Old 09-02-2016, 12:29 PM   #5

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
I am considering doing something like this as mentioned elsewhere, so taking good notes on what others are doing.

Though, mine will not be know as a "nerdstick", but an "uber kewl techie pole".

I am thinking of using an antenna holder something like this, which could be held by an outrigger.

“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 12:52 PM   #6

Trailer: 17B 2017
I've been using these to shut in windows and doors for cable pass-through. Match the Ohms you need tho. HRO has them.
gocamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 01:11 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I am thinking of using an antenna holder something like this, which could be held by an outrigger.

Well that's interesting. I've seen antenna mounts that use a 2" hitch receiver, like the one included in the "bike rack ready" option on our trailers. But I wanted to move my antenna mast out of the rear window field of view so I could take "what's our your back window" photos like normal people do.
Old 09-02-2016, 01:14 PM   #8

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
Hi Mike, so we've both ended up with Jack antennas on a pole at the rear of the trailer.

To make the aluminum pole fit more firmly in the steel pole you might consider cutting about a 3" vertical slit with a hack saw and using either a hose clamp or muffler clamp to squeeze it onto the aluminum section.

If I might make a suggestion, it would be to have someone drive along side as you go through a range of speeds. Sometimes there's a difference in how an object behaves during static testing and what it does under dynamic conditions.

I might end up with a two pole set-up. The new lightweight, semi-rigid solar panels would seem to lend themselves to being raised up on a tilting swivel mount similar to what I already have on the front.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 01:27 PM   #9

Quote:
Thank for the info
Here are the connector ends as they exit the power cable hatch. The color coding is unnecessary right now as the connectors are different, but I intend to go to all BNC connectors in the future, and I figured I could remember "RGB" in order.

The connections are two-foot jumpers that terminate inside the trailer under a dinette seat. These are all BNC connectors in "RGB" order.

You can see that I made a mess installing a 12V PowerPole socket beneath them; I damaged the veneer. I decided that it wasn't a big deal, no one would see it. But now no one will see it, except for the entire Internet.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg connectors_at_trailer.jpg (319.0 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg bnc_connectors.jpg (287.2 KB, 42 views)
Old 09-02-2016, 01:29 PM   #10

Trailer: Currently between RVs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I am considering doing something like this as mentioned elsewhere, so taking good notes on what others are doing.

Though, mine will not be know as a "nerdstick", but an "uber kewl techie pole".

This is an interesting option as I was envisioning doing something like the bumper mounted pole for the jack antenna and only pulling it out when needed. Then I could justify the 2nd solar panel. Of course this is all theoretical at this point as I'm Escapeless right now.

MikeS is offline   Reply With Quote