The nerdstick, revisited - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-26-2016, 12:12 PM   #1

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
The nerdstick, revisited

I changed up the antenna configuration on the telescoping antenna pole that is attached to my trailer's spare tire carrier. The white vertical antenna is an omnidirectional WireEng marine cellular antenna that some of you have. I will use it with my Wilson Sleek amp when necessary. The antenna replaces a directional Wilson antenna, which I removed from the mast but will carry with me in case I need it.

The black vertical antenna is a ham radio two-meter antenna. It works here, but I think I'd be better off with one that has a ground plane.

The white horizontal antenna below is the King Jack TV antenna that several of you have. It replaces an amplified Mohu antenna that was meant for home use. I think the vibrations of trailer towing killed the Mohu. And besides, it was damn ugly.

I know it's not a good idea to cluster antennas together like this, but with the vertical antennas I had no choice, and I can't move the King Jack down on the mast without fear of breaking my rear window when I'm towing with the mast retracted. I really need to have a clamp made so I can mount this assembly near an end of the rear bumper.

Oh, and the green thing in the background is my banana tree.
Attached Thumbnails
nerdstick.jpg  
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 01:40 PM   #2

Trailer: pondering.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis View Post
I changed up the antenna configuration on the telescoping antenna pole that is attached to my trailer's spare tire carrier. The white vertical antenna is an omnidirectional WireEng marine cellular antenna that some of you have. I will use it with my Wilson Sleek amp when necessary. The antenna replaces a directional Wilson antenna, which I removed from the mast but will carry with me in case I need it.

The black vertical antenna is a ham radio two-meter antenna. It works here, but I think I'd be better off with one that has a ground plane.

The white horizontal antenna below is the King Jack TV antenna that several of you have. It replaces an amplified Mohu antenna that was meant for home use. I think the vibrations of trailer towing killed the Mohu. And besides, it was damn ugly.

I know it's not a good idea to cluster antennas together like this, but with the vertical antennas I had no choice, and I can't move the King Jack down on the mast without fear of breaking my rear window when I'm towing with the mast retracted. I really need to have a clamp made so I can mount this assembly near an end of the rear bumper.

Oh, and the green thing in the background is my banana tree.
and how tall is the pole typically when extended? pic?
like it...may do something similar.....
freespirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 02:23 PM   #3

I think the antenna mast is about sixteen feet long when extended. I bought it from Ham Radio Outlet for about $100. It has held up pretty well over a couple of years of travel.

Here is a photo of the mast extended while I was parked at San Luis State Park in Colorado. On the mast are the aforementioned Mohu TV antenna and Wilson directional cellular antenna, both of which I have replaced in my current configuration.
Attached Thumbnails
san_luis_sp_co.jpg  
Old 08-26-2016, 03:17 PM   #4

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis View Post
Clearly, you have just determined that you need two masts, on each end of the bumper, or each end of the trailer.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 03:27 PM   #5

Trailer: 2018 Escape 5.0 TA
Can you provide the model name/number for the mast? How is it attached to the spare?
MikeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 04:40 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Clearly, you have just determined that you need two masts, on each end of the bumper, or each end of the trailer.
I'm reserving space at one end of the bumper for a big ol' ugly HF vertical ham radio antenna, extendable for 30+ feet. Probably an Eagle One, but I dunno. That does leave the front of the trailer for more decorations, though. Hmm...

Unfortunately, a big HF mast plus what I have now should probably be enough to repel any female who might otherwise be tempted to approach the trailer to check it out, not that this is my intent.
Old 08-26-2016, 04:59 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeS View Post
Can you provide the model name/number for the mast? How is it attached to the spare?
The receipt says Comet-NCG model CP-45 aluminum mast. Oops, it's extendable to only 14 feet, eight inches, sorry. The price was $99.95, and I bought it at the Ham Radio Outlet store in Portland, Oregon, while on my shakedown cruise after buying my trailer. HRO has a big Internet business, so it would be easy to order from them.

I attached the mast to the vertical bar that holds the spare tire, using stainless steel U-bolts and hose clamps. Since I didn't know which to use, I used both. It seems pretty safe and secure, but I can't say that this is the best way to do it. I think I should have a custom mount made at a welding shop and attach the mast to the end of the rear bumper. If I do, I'll provide photos.

One drawback to this method of mounting is that the mast partially blocks the view from the rear window, another reason to move it to the end of the bumper.
Attached Thumbnails
antenna_mast_mount.jpg  
Old 08-26-2016, 05:05 PM   #8

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Is there a reason you leave the mast and antennae mounted, Mike? I was planning on doing something removable. I do not plan on a ham antenna though.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 05:13 PM   #9

Trailer: Escape 19, 2018: Last Best Escape
Maybe this is a good place to ask my question which some of you nerdy folks might think is really dumb. My goal is to connect an antenna like Mike's BoatAnt WirEng through the wiring of the cable connection in the Escape. We don't use cable at all but it's wired in, of course. Is this possible?

Assuming I can get the correct fittings [I'm quite certain I can] could I connect the WirEng antenna, using the cable wiring, to my weBoost cell phone cradle? I'm tired of snaking the cradle antenna through an open window and placing it on top of my Pilot just to boost the signal. Yes, it works but it's darn inconvenient.

It would be the lap of luxury to sit on the bed, using the cradle via the cable outlet inside. I'm assuming I can set up a mount, either a mast like Mike's or do a roof mount if necessary.

FYI, I have tried connecting the WeBoost cradle through the cable wiring to the WeBoost antenna outside but had no improvement in cell signal whatsoever, if that's relevant.

All you people who know this stuff, please chime in. I'm clueless.

Klaus

Honda Pilot 2019
ksitte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 05:14 PM   #10

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksitte View Post
All you people who know this stuff, please chime in. I'm clueless.s
Not totally Klaus, you knew enough to ask here.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 05:19 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Is there a reason you leave the mast and antennae mounted, Mike?
Mainly laziness. But also, the more I do something the greater the probability that I'll eventually screw up. There is a chance that if I install / remove the mast for every trip, at some point I won't fasten something correctly and it will come loose while I'm driving down the road. Or I'd forget the thing and leave it at home. So as long as I think it's safe I'll leave it on the trailer.
Old 08-26-2016, 05:25 PM   #12

Quote:
My goal is to connect an antenna like Mike's BoatAnt WirEng through the wiring of the cable connection in the Escape. We don't use cable at all but it's wired in, of course. Is this possible?

Assuming I can get the correct fittings [I'm quite certain I can] could I connect the WirEng antenna, using the cable wiring, to my weBoost cell phone cradle?
Klaus
No, I'm afraid you would have an impedence mismatch. The TV cable is 75 ohms, the antenna wiring for the cellular amp is 50 ohms. This would cause problems like reflection of the signal in the line. You need to connect cellular stuff with 50-ohm cabling.
Old 08-26-2016, 05:33 PM   #13

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Maybe this is a good place to ask my question which some of you nerdy folks might think is really dumb.
I agree with Jim - knowing to ask shows wisdom.

Quote:
My goal is to connect an antenna like Mike's BoatAnt WirEng through the wiring of the cable connection in the Escape. We don't use cable at all but it's wired in, of course. Is this possible?

Assuming I can get the correct fittings [I'm quite certain I can] could I connect the WirEng antenna, using the cable wiring, to my weBoost cell phone cradle?
It's certainly possible. Unfortunately, when you go to get adapters to make the different cable connectors go together, they will probably be difficult to find, because this isn't done. The problem is that all transmission lines (including coaxial cable) have a property called characteristic impedance, and it needs to match for the system to work properly. The cable used for television video signals (including "cable TV" and satellite dish to receiver links) is normally 75 ohm (such as RG-6 and RG-58 types of cable, and the F-type connector on them), and the cable used for other radio antenna systems is normally 50 ohm. The Escape's built-in cabling should be 75 ohm, to suit the intended purpose, but that won't match most WiFi and mobile (cellular) radio gear.

My Wilson Sleek has a 50 ohm antenna connection, with an SMA connector. You could presumably get an F-type to SMA adapter, but that wouldn't fix the mismatching impedance.

Quote:
FYI, I have tried connecting the WeBoost cradle through the cable wiring to the WeBoost antenna outside but had no improvement in cell signal whatsoever, if that's relevant.
I assume that what was happening was that the mismatch of impedance killed so much of the signal that the net result was useless.

Edit note: Mike beat me to posting the answer, but at least the answer is the same (differing only in degree of detail).
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote