"The Trailer" - Likes, Loves and Dislikes - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-22-2017, 09:55 PM   #1

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
"The Trailer" - Likes, Loves and Dislikes

Today I zipped out to The Trailer and took a huge pile of photos. I've had folks ask for some of these and others are "just cuz" type photos.

The purpose of this thread is to let others know what I like, love and dislike about my 2016 21 footer Escape trailer.

There will be lots and lots of photos, with my usual verbage with each post.

So, enjoy with your evening bowl of ice cream, morning coffee or whatever. It's gonna take a while to post all these.

(For those wondering about the title - Dirk and I don't name our vehicles. Last year or so there was a thread about names of your trailer and what-not. Tongue in cheek, I decided to name it The Trailer. Heck, we already have the Tacoma, FJ and Tundra, so why not? )
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 10:01 PM   #2

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Dislikes

I'll get this bit out of the way first. Here's what I disliked about it.

It's covered in snow! 9 inches (or so) of that stinking stuff.

Granted, I wasn't quite ready to use The Trailer then, but still! And that I had to shovel a pathway to it to make sure it didn't have any leaks or what not.

Whew, there weren't any. I was rather worried with that much snow on there. Did take off what I could.

Much better in the third photo. Out in the wilds of Corvallis Oregon. First trip I took with it after getting my lessons through RV Driving School in Sequim WA.

Other than the snow, I think that's all I can come up with in terms of dislikes.
Attached Thumbnails
DSC05092.jpg   DSC05093.jpg   DSC05214.jpg  
Old 06-22-2017, 10:08 PM   #3

Nemesis boot clamp

I'm sure you're looking at the previous photo, wondering what the heck that orange thingie is. It's the Nemesis from Purple Line. I get more comments on that from fellow campers than my trailer and my truck, combined. More than one have commented on stolen trailers and all that.

Nemesis Professional Caravan Wheel Clamp | Trailer Accessories | Purple Line

I'm getting better at putting it on. Having a little stool to sit on while doing that helps a great deal. Comes in other colors, but of course I got the blue.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

We also got the KoJack levelers from Purple Line. Fortunately I don't need to use 'em at every campground I've been to, but sure need 'em at home.

We also got their Purple Line Mover (not Purple People Eater, Nathan ) but don't have any photos of it. It really saved me a huge amount of time waiting around when I was in a situation where nobody moved their trailers until the last/first in the row was gone. Used the mover and got out of there quickly. Acquired quite a crowd watching us. I was directing Dirk, so couldn't take any photos. Sorry Pat. Eventually I will.
Attached Thumbnails
DSC04986.jpg   DSC04990.jpg  
Old 06-22-2017, 10:20 PM   #4

Storage Cubby

I didn't think I'd like this, but I actually do. However, as you can see, I don't wad it with a ton of stuff so it doesn't look cluttered (least to me and Dirk). The turquoise is a fold up thingie that holds bandaids. Lots of 'em. I need stock in the company.

In the rest of the bins are small, rolled up bath mats/rugs from Ikea. I lay 'em out before I go to bed so I don't track gunk from the rug in front of the door into bed when I take off my slippers and socks. And I get to step on clean rugs when I get out of the shower and sit at the end of the bed doing my beauty routine.

Not quite in the love category, but I do like having 'em there. Yeah, never thought I'd say that, huh?

The Command hook on the side is used with small bungies for keeping the door open. Note the burgundy screw cap covers.

12/12 Snap-Caps - for #10, #12 & 1/4" screws | Pro-Dec
Attached Thumbnails
DSC05321.jpg   DSC05322.jpg   DSC05323.jpg   DSC05410.jpg  
Old 06-22-2017, 10:40 PM   #5

Bathroom, part 1

Okay, never ever thought I'd say this. If someone wants me to eat my words, make sure they're made with low FODMAP ingredients. Otherwise I'll get sick eating 'em.

Yep, I LIKE having the bathroom sink in there. There, I said it. For those that have spent some time on here or are reading old posts, I had quite the conversation when we were working on our build sheet about not getting that sink. Then finding out that it wasn't possible and we had to have it. I wanted the extra room and not the sink.

Well, my posterior doesn't smash in to it while taking a shower, thankfully. I can stash my soap in there all the time and the showerhead while traveling. I don't use it for anything else, but yeah, it's nice having it there. (guess my words can be made of popcorn)

ETI screwed in the showerhead holder. Not us.

Showerhead from Eco Camel:

Jetstorm Handheld

Shampoo dispenser from Amazon, most likely. Yeah, no surprise there, although the 2 chamber one isn't linking up. You'll get the idea.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...e?ie=UTF8&th=1

The infamous TP holder is used mainly for keeping a spare roll within easy reach. I got tired of taking it out whenever I wanted to use it. Command hook is for a black plastic bag that I shove used TP in as none of that stuff is going down my toilet. Yeah, that's for another discussion, you think?

I call the next photo "Self Portrait on my arm".

This shows the TP holder that I actually use. Much easier to roll it off the standard type holder. From Ikea, as well as the towel holder under the curtain. Both attached with heavy duty Velco. Both stay up way better now.

Note all the washcloths. Yep, use 'em all. For my face while I'm showering at I detest water in my face (please note you will not be able to use this fact as you won't catch me in a swimming pool where you can splash water in my face). Drying off my hair. As well as the toilet and another for the walls.

The lovely, double sided curtain comes off before my shower. Held up with Command hooks. Sewed it myself.

Close up of the stunningly beautiful cat shower curtain I found in Coos Bay at the Fred Meyer store down there. Others may have it, but they ran out last month as I bought 'em all. Cut it in half and trimmed some off around the ledge for the toilet and it fits perfectly.

Cat bath towels!!! Yep, found 'em on Amazon. They have lots. It was hard to pick which ones I wanted. OMG, I love these. Super soft and they do absorb water. I was afraid they'd be pretty things and that would be it.

I need to submit a review of 'em. I just LOVE, LOVE, LOVE 'em.
Attached Thumbnails
DSC05324.jpg   DSC05325.jpg   DSC05326.jpg   DSC05331.jpg   DSC05333.jpg  

DSC05334.jpg   DSC05362.jpg  
Old 06-22-2017, 10:43 PM   #6

Sorry, there isn't a Bathroom Part 2 as I forgot I could put up to 8 photos per post.

And for those wondering, the shampoo dispenser is held on with heavy duty Velcro as well.
Old 06-22-2017, 10:48 PM   #7
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Cat Owner View Post
Okay, never ever thought I'd say this. If someone wants me to eat my words, make sure they're made with low FODMAP ingredients. Otherwise I'll get sick eating 'em.

Yep, I LIKE having the bathroom sink in there. There, I said it. For those that have spent some time on here or are reading old posts, I had quite the conversation when we were working on our build sheet about not getting that sink. Then finding out that it wasn't possible and we had to have it. I wanted the extra room and not the sink.

Well, my posterior doesn't smash in to it while taking a shower, thankfully. I can stash my soap in there all the time and the showerhead while traveling. I don't use it for anything else, but yeah, it's nice having it there. (guess my words can be made of popcorn)
No FODMAP involved Laura, I assure you. But I did tell you so...[emoji1]

No worries though. There were a few things I asked about before my trailer was built where I went against the general advice and wished later that I hadn't.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 06-22-2017, 10:54 PM   #8

The Kitchen, Part 1

We're still both in love with the kitchen counter. As well as the sink and the backsplash. I can not admire those two components enough. Formica is Basalt Slate:

Formica® Laminate - Basalt Slate

ETI won't install this type of sink any longer. I forget why, but others remember (Donna and ?) why. Bummer as we just love it. I had them rotate it so the faucet would be off to the side instead of in the middle of my prep/counter area.

Bucket is from Lowe's. Pat (of PatandLinda) gave me the suggestion of putting something inside the sink when dry camping so I could use that water for the toilet. Fits perfectly. Thanks Pat!

Ceramic cat holder for the scrub brush for cleaning dishes. Had it for years. The Trailer asked for it. I could not turn down that request.

Backsplash is Peel & Stick tiles from Lowe's:

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Peel-Stick-...-in/1000009118

Another color of screw cap covers. Just love using the different colors. Two more colors in other parts of the trailer. Yeah, had fun with 'em.

If you're considering getting the flip up counter at the end of the counter. Don't hesitate! I could not use the kitchen without it. I just shoved the trash can up there for this photo but plenty of other stuff has been wadded on there. I do want to paint the back of it black though. One of these years. I can see the unpainted part when sitting on the dinette.

The trash can came with this attachment thingie that I tried gluing on the door. Don't bother. I tested it out and epic fail. Left a rough spot that I usually don't notice or I do my best to ignore. I keep the can shoved under the counter, along with extra bags, the grey bucket and some "snacks".
Attached Thumbnails
DSC05336.jpg   DSC05337.jpg   DSC04904.jpg   DSC04945.jpg   DSC05338.jpg  

DSC05339.jpg   DSC05340.jpg  
Old 06-22-2017, 10:59 PM   #9

Test for ya

So, who noticed the addition to the door lock in the photo showing the flip up counter?

Says "locked".

I could not remember which way was which and was running the risk of breaking a nail (oh no!! The Horror!!) when it was locked and I thought it wasn't.

Printed it out on my Dymo LabelMaker. Just love it. I need to print more labels for other areas of the trailer.

Just something to think of to make your own trailer easier to use.
Old 06-22-2017, 11:18 PM   #10

Kitchen, Part 2

Empty drawer. Didn't last long in that state. Put in some of this purple sticky stuff that's adjustable. Drawer Decor - read the link; it's easier to understand. I had to get the purple directly from the company as it wasn't available on Amazon and it might be discontinued by now. Bummer.

Kitty themed (of course!) spoon rests from Amazon. Careful washing 'em as they break in the sink if you bang 'em around too much. Don't ask me how I know. I just know. I now have more than two, just in case.

Knives from Analon. They have covers that slide off. Love 'em.

Gotta upgrade my utensils. They're blue plastic from the cooking set I got with pots that I love. These are more for backpacking. Low on my list as they work. Sort of. I'm really picky about my utensils as many of 'em don't feel good in my hands. These work for now.

Some have asked about the windows. I don't have the other, slider style to compare with. But I do like these. I like having 'em open when it's drizzling outside. And I do feel a breeze through them. Ignore the view out the window.

Multi reasons for the next photo, besides admiring the nice wall hanging. Yep, bought a big bundle of those larger Command hooks, as you can tell.

This is the photo with the new, under the stove vent light that Charlie of RV Widgets told me about. Got it from Amazon (should have bought stock in them years ago). It really, really lights the place up. I LOVE this light. I tried taking a photo of it off and then on, but it really doesn't show the difference as my camera flash kept going off. But it really lights the place up. Thanks Charlie!

Note the "stove vent closed" sign. Got tired of that thing flapping around in the wind one night, so for my next trip I made this sign and hung it up to remind me when I close it. That way I can remember to open it the next AM (or whenever). It's the little things like this that really make it easier to use The Trailer.

What, she's using paper plates!?!?!? Nope, not quite. Check out the next photo. I just love these plates. I got the dinner and salad size plates, as well as the cups. Yeah, way more than I need for myself, but they're fun to choose a different color each time. Things like this make me really have fun using the trailer.

Bowls are great for salads and snacks.
Attached Thumbnails
DSC05341.jpg   DSC05342.jpg   DSC05344.jpg   DSC05347.jpg   DSC05352.jpg  

DSC05353.jpg   DSC05355.jpg   DSC05356.jpg  
Old 06-22-2017, 11:22 PM   #11

Drawer toppers

LOVE 'em. From RV Widgets. I have 3 of 'em and can't imagine not having them. One in the kitchen and two for the drawers at the end of the bed stack.
Old 06-22-2017, 11:34 PM   #12

Kitchen, Part 3

Collapsible stuff. LOVE 'em. Got 'em all from Amazon (of course). Just look 'em up and you'll find wads to choose from. I don't recommend the measuring cups though. They're pretty flimsy and regular ones would have been better. Not that I use 'em much - mainly to measure out my rice/quinoa mix and water for it. Or to hold small bits of chopped up food.

See how much stuff I wadded in the upper cabinet? It's all over the counter so you get an idea of how little space all that stuff takes up.

Okay, sharp eyes will note the purple square containers aren't collapsible. Hey, they're purple and that's all I need to say.

Toaster oven. Takes up the entire cabinet but I like having it. I like having two racks as many times I'll cook multiple items in there. Yep, Amazon. (Okay, technically they don't call it a toaster oven - hard habit to break, I guess.)

Kitty food containers from The Container Store that I now use for TP since Lucy isn't around to travel with me.

https://www.containerstore.com/s/dry...11003848&q=cat

Towel rack from Amazon. Funky looking cats but the one I really wanted wasn't available. This works.

Yet another sign that makes using the trailer so much easier and gives me peace of mind. I'd pull over at a rest stop (or handy exit ramp), dash back to pee after turning on the water pump. Zip back out and then start driving. Oops, did I turn it off? Can't remember, so let's stop again. Jeez.

This sign saves me so much time and worry. When I dash in, I put the door key on the hook in front of the sign. I grab the key when I leave and have to read the sign. Yep, it works. It's the simple stuff some times, isn't it? Anyone is welcome to use this idea.
Attached Thumbnails
DSC05365.jpg   DSC05366.jpg   DSC05368.jpg   DSC05369.jpg   DSC05371.jpg  

DSC05379.jpg  
Old 06-22-2017, 11:39 PM   #13

Purple stuff?

So, what's that purple stuff wrapped around the cord of the toaster oven in the previous post? Yeah, LOVE this stuff. Velcro type material, but not that brand (least I don't think so).

Sorry the photo is fuzzy, but you get the idea. I think I got it at The Container Store, but not sure. It came in this roll that I've been working my way through. You might see it on cords and such in other photos. LOVE it. I hate using rubber bands on cords. And I especially detest cords laying around where I can trip over 'em or whatever. Super messy look. Not any longer!

I need more.
Attached Thumbnails
DSC05345.jpg  
Old 06-22-2017, 11:50 PM   #14

The dinette

Yep, custom purple fabric. Which I LOVE! As well as the pillow covers I made. And the filler board and cushion. I LOVE sitting here listening to critters outside. And reading in the quiet. I've not once watched a DVD in the trailer as I'm loving the solitude and quiet so much. And snuggling under my fleece blanket a friend made me and against the pillows. More will be coming along as I have a huge pile of cat themed fabric just waiting to be cut up and sewn.

I have both a thick and thin fleece blanket. With cats on 'em. Do my friends know me or what?

I know some of you are debating if you want a u-shaped dinette or not. Try to figure out how you're gonna use it. I knew this is how I would and it's the best option for me. Yet another thing to love about the Escape trailers - all the customizing you can do. Not only the fabric, but which type of dinette you want.

When I want to eat, I usually put out the folding TV tray, along with reversible cat placemat (hey, gotta still have some style while camping out, right? Right!) and cloth napkin. I got them from another vendor at one of the Xmas shows I sell at. They're in the LOVE category.

When I'm not using the tray I fold it up at the end of the bed or put it on the bed when traveling. It does fit under the bed, but I'm usually too lazy to bend over and shove it in there. The top of the bed is easier.

The kitty rug is also in the LOVE category. Bought if from guess where even before we ordered the trailer.

Flooring is Manhattan 999 from IVC but the link doesn't go to it any longer and their site doesn't have a search feature. Weird. Anyway, it's also in the LOVE category.
Attached Thumbnails
DSC05374.jpg   DSC05375.jpg   DSC05376.jpg   DSC05377.jpg   DSC05378.jpg  

DSC05386.jpg  
Old 06-22-2017, 11:56 PM   #15

The blinds

We LOVE the blinds. Got 'em from Blinds Galore. Can't remember the exact style and the link I have doesn't take me there. Getting too tired to look it up. They were rather expensive to get, but we really felt they were worth it. They block tons of light and some sound. Double cell, blackout style.

We did get a credit from ETI for not using theirs. Plus, there aren't any metal stickie out thingies to catch your shoulder on. They attach under the cabinets. I use velcro on the knobs on the windows along the back wall as there's still a bit of a curve there. Not in the other locations.

Oh, and the dinette fabric is Sunbrella. Forget the name now. Brain fart, I guess, as I just love it.
Old 06-23-2017, 12:03 AM   #16

Keeping out the light in the AM

Besides the blackout shades on every window, I've also added some other items to help block out the light in the AM. I know I'm not the only one out there that likes to sleep in a much darker room. It's been discussed on here before.

For both of these, I got some thick black felt from JoAnn's and layered it between the fabric. Trimmed the fabric, seamed it and all that. I used sticky Velcro strips to hold them in place. The one on the door window has a tendency to fall off, so I need to get a heavier duty one than the one Dirk picked out.

It's hard to tell in the photo, but for the door window it's black fabric with grey kitties. Yeah, it has cats, but it's also black, which is quite helpful. Lots of light comes in through that window. Not any longer!

Both are in the LOVE category and also in the category of making the trailer that much more fun to use.

For the overhead fan I can peel off one corner for air to flow during the night. It still blocks the light quite well. The first night I used it I forgot to peel back the corner and turn on the fan. Yep, condensation on the walls around the bed. Not the second night. Yay!

(I peeled off more of the cover in the photo to show the velcro strips I used to hold it in place.)
Attached Thumbnails
DSC05380.jpg   DSC05381.jpg   DSC05382.jpg  
Old 06-23-2017, 12:27 AM   #17

The Bed

We have a full size Select Comfort/Sleep by Number bed on there. We've used those beds for years and wanted to use it in the trailer as well. I know everyone has their own personal likes and dislikes when it comes to beds, but this works for us.

Yes, the end of the bed does stick out into the walkway a bit as it's not cut off on the corner like the mattress from ETI does. However, I'm really used to it and those that have visited me in the trailer don't notice it. Granted, most of 'em don't know what it's usually like. But, just letting you folks know it's not as bad as I thought it would be. You'll be able to see a bit of the overhang in a photo later on. I'll try to remember to point it out.

Now, another drawback on this bed is that it's shorter than the platform. I fiddled around with various set ups and this is the one that's working for now. I have some thick foam layered in front of part of the bed (oh no! rubber bands - gotta change that! ). That way I have room for other stuff on each side. (The pillow fits over the foam area when I sleep or read in bed.)

Such as a small bin (from Lowe's) that holds things like cough drops, ear plugs, travel alarm and what nots. The other side has the pump for the bed and my kleenex box next to it. As well as my sound machine on top of it. This item is in the LOVE category. I could not sleep without it. I have it set on "rainfall". I have one at home as well.

Yep, Amazon. I got it for way less than the currently listed price. I guess I just got lucky and hit it during a short sale.

Funny story - one of my first nights in the trailer I had it turned on. Woke up much later and thought "I don't remember turning it on that loud". It was real rain falling on the roof and not my sound machine. I went back to sleep. The sound of rain doesn't bother me.

The next photo shows the small power inverter I use at rest stops when I want to take a nap and I use the sound machine to cover up the sounds of the semis next to me. Or at least it covers up enough of the sound I can fall asleep. The first inverter I had came with a fan that sounded like a jet engine was next to me. Not soothing in the least. Chucked it and asked Dirk to find me one without a noisy fan. This works great.

Small heater for the tootsies. Forget where I got it. I'm sure Amazon has it, but I've had several for years and grabbed this extra one out of my bedroom. In the LOVE category.

Kitty wall curtain, even though there isn't a window there. I just wanted to spiff up the "room" and since blank walls drive me nuts, this was a most excellent solution for me. I fiddled around with several ways to keep it in place. Finally settled on yet more large Command hooks (told ya I got a big bundle of 'em). They and the curtain stayed in place even over super bouncy roads that took out other things (including the bathroom cabinet door - yep that thing can come open). The tension rod I originally used didn't work worth beans. And can conk you on the head when it falls down. Yep, trust me on that.
Attached Thumbnails
DSC05383.jpg   DSC05384.jpg   DSC05385.jpg   DSC05387.jpg   DSC05388.jpg  

DSC05389.jpg   DSC05390.jpg   DSC05391.jpg  
Old 06-23-2017, 12:42 AM   #18

Fleece blankets! Part 1

Yep, Pat and Linda, here they are. Made ya wait for 'em, didn't I?

A friend made me a lap blanket that has the fringe on the ends. You slit both pieces of fabric (the double layered ones) and then kind of weave them together. I can't really explain it, but once Debbie showed me I understood and then got addicted to making 'em. Yeah, you'll see what I mean. Addicted and then some.

But, like Dirk says, one can never have enough cat blankets.

First 4 photos show the same kitty face fabric on the front, but with different colored fleece on the back. Two different friends gave me these. How could I turn 'em down as I absolutely LOVE this fabric. I even got some of it in flannel.

They really have a different look in either the pink or grey backing, don't they?

Next two blankets are in the goofy kitty, but super fun category. On the last blanket I did a triple weave so you can see the backing coming through on the fringe (the black/white paw prints). Takes way more time, but sure looks really nice, depending on the fabric.

Yeah, I know I won't use these all at once, but I can switch them around and have loads of fun with them. Yet another reason to use the trailer - to have fun! And use my fleece blankets. (I'm not doing much camping during the hot, summer season. We planned long ago to go mostly in the shoulder season.)
Attached Thumbnails
DSC05392.jpg   DSC05393.jpg   DSC05398.jpg   DSC05399.jpg   DSC05396.jpg  

DSC05397.jpg   DSC05400.jpg   DSC05401.jpg  
Old 06-23-2017, 12:52 AM   #19

Blankets, part 2

Sharp eyes will note I did not put the fringe along the top of the blankets. When I used the blanket Debbie made me it tickled my nose and made it hard to sleep. For the ones I made, I just folded over the edge and did a straight stitch (for those wondering).

This next blanket is super long as it was the end of the bolt and I decided to take it all. Well, at least for one layer (it was the end of the bolt) and I was okay with it being longer. I triple weaved this one as well.

Next blanket is the one Debbie made that got it all started. All of the other kitty fabrics came from JoAnn's, but this one she got from a fabric store going out of business. Lucky me! It was also one of the first things to go into The Trailer when I hauled it home. In fact, it went up to Canada with me as I knew I'd be taking a nap on the way home. It's an International Traveler!

The next blanket is a single layer as there's times I won't want a thick blanket on me, but need a bit more than just a sheet. Edge is rolled twice and then double stitched.

Yep, not a cat! Zebras in fact. I made this for the house, but I knew Pat and Linda would want to see it, so here it is. Goofy fun, isn't it?
Attached Thumbnails
DSC05402.jpg   DSC05403.jpg   DSC05404.jpg   DSC05405.jpg   DSC05406.jpg  

DSC05407.jpg   DSC05394.jpg   DSC05395.jpg  
Old 06-23-2017, 12:55 AM   #20

Trailer: 2008 17B Escape
Wow---you really have made it your own..

Looks very nice---I am a cat person too, but have nothing of cats in the trailer...

It is because of you I did the backsplash in my trailer--Big job but I sure like the way it looks---and seems to be holding up just fine...

It's funny how these trailers initially start out semi the same and then everyone adds their own touches---nice to see and get ideas..

How is the velcro holding up on the vent? I tried velcro before for my black out blind ideas and it never stayed up... I now just tuck reflectex in each window--I like it dark too..

Keep on enjoying..