Tire Question - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 02-03-2017, 01:14 PM   #1

Trailer: Used to own a 17B and a 19 Escape
Tire Question

I did a search for this but didn't find anything.

Does anyone know if Goodyear Wrangler HT 215/75/15 will work as a replacement to the OEM ST205/75R/15 tires on the OEM rims? More specifically will the 215 work vs the 205 on the 15 inch rims? It looks like the load rating is okay but I may be missing something. This is my first trailer.

I have a 17B.

https://www.goodyear.com/en-US/tires...&cta=undefined

Thanks for the help.
ichrisdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 01:23 PM   #2

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by ichrisdr View Post
I did a search for this but didn't find anything.

Does anyone know if Goodyear Wrangler HT 215/75/15 will work as a replacement to the OEM ST205/75R/15 tires on the OEM rims? More specifically will the 215 work vs the 205 on the 15 inch rims? It looks like the load rating is okay but I may be missing something. This is my first trailer.

I have a 17B.

https://www.goodyear.com/en-US/tires...&cta=undefined

Thanks for the help.
Hey nice to see someone else from NJ! I'm sure they would fit on the rims, but don't you want "ST" Special Trailer designated tires on a trailer ideally?

Tire Tech Information - Trailer Tires vs. Passenger Vehicle Tires
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 01:43 PM   #3

Hey! Yup from good old NJ! I just picked up my 17B last summer.

I have read so much on the internet regarding ST for LT that my head is spinning. I want something with a higher speed rating and can maybe handle light off road a little better. Not that I plan on cruising the highways out west at 80 mph but I would like to feel a little more comfortable at or above 65 mph.
Old 02-03-2017, 02:22 PM   #4

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by ichrisdr View Post
Hey! Yup from good old NJ! I just picked up my 17B last summer.

I have read so much on the internet regarding ST for LT that my head is spinning. I want something with a higher speed rating and can maybe handle light off road a little better. Not that I plan on cruising the highways out west at 80 mph but I would like to feel a little more comfortable at or above 65 mph.
You might be the only 17 in NJ. I know of two other 19's and a newer 21 in Ocean City. That's it for Escapes to my knowledge. Never even seen another one in person.

Back to tires and sticking with your stock size for a moment. There are some ST tires rated for higher speeds than 65mph so I wouldn't completely abandon the idea of staying with ST. See below example that is rated for 81 mph.
Provider ST205/75R15 Radial Trailer Tire - Load Range D Taskmaster Tires and Wheels TR20515D

You can't get a 215/75/R15 in ST because that is a very odd trailer size. Would need to go up to 225/75/15 but you would need to confirm the fit with stock rim width and trailer clearances. You would be going from ~8" wide tread to ~9" and ~27" tall to ~28.3" tall.
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 02:35 PM   #5

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Spent hours on this topic last year looking for LT tires. Airstream and Oliver use them, however on 16" rims. Could have used a Yokohama or something but decided to stay with ST and bought Maxxis- which are made in Thailand- next to the rubber tree plantation
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 02:38 PM   #6

There is at least one other 17 in NJ. I saw it via the referral program. We drove out to pick ours up over the summer and saw one 19 Escape in Idaho. We were at the same RV park so we sat and spoke for a while. In hindsight I wish we went with the 19 for the dual axle and larger bed. But we are happy with our 17. It is super easy to tow.

I don't need new tires yet. I was only looking to upgrade to get something with a higher speed rating and maybe a little more durable. I'll check out the 225 ST and see if they would fit on the rims we have. I have to find out how wide they are. I got the suspension lift so I should have the clearance.
Old 02-03-2017, 02:42 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
Spent hours on this topic last year looking for LT tires. Airstream and Oliver use them, however on 16" rims. Could have used a Yokohama or something but decided to stay with ST and bought Maxxis- which are made in Thailand- next to the rubber tree plantation
Yea I have spent way too much time. I'm making myself crazy. I had thought about buying 16" rims but I would have to look into the bolt pattern to see if anything will fit. I don't know how much that would throw off the trailer balance also with taller rims and presumably a taller tire. I'll check out the Maxxis tires. I have used their mountain bike tires in the past.
Old 02-03-2017, 04:13 PM   #8

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
While your looking, Google "China bomb tires". That's why as soon as I can, I will be switching out the ST tires for LT. I had this issue, along with others, with ST tires - the ones built in China (most of them are built there) are prone to blowout.

The Carlisle tires Escape uses are better than the Marathon China bombs but no where near as good as LT tires.
tdf-texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 04:30 PM   #9

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Special Trailer (ST) are designed to be used on trailers.
Light Truck (LT) are designed to be use on trucks.
Old 02-03-2017, 04:43 PM   #10

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Special Trailer (ST) are designed to be used on trailers.
Light Truck (LT) are designed to be use on trucks.
Then why are several manufacturers of LT tires certified for use on trailers? LT tires must meet higher standards than ST tires. And I guess Airstream and others are wrong when they specify LT tires on their trailers.
tdf-texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 04:46 PM   #11

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdf-texas View Post
While your looking, Google "China bomb tires". That's why as soon as I can, I will be switching out the ST tires for LT. I had this issue, along with others, with ST tires - the ones built in China (most of them are built there) are prone to blowout.

The Carlisle tires Escape uses are better than the Marathon China bombs but no where near as good as LT tires.
Yeah, I researched all that too, which is why I went for the Maxxis. Problem with LT tires is that they don't make hardly any in the size needed for an Escape. We don't drive over 65 anyway so the Thai Tires work for us.
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 05:49 PM   #12

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15B - 2014 Nissan Frontier SL
There has been a lot of previous discussions on tires. I had GREAT luck with my original Carlisle's and replaced them with new ones and to my surprise found an 80 mph limit on the new ones. Makes you feel more comfortable for that occasional higher speed. I would still stick with ST tires for my trailer. See thread and picture here:

http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f3...tml#post144453

From the title you can tell this is a thread that got off topic, but has a lot of good information.
techfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 06:24 PM   #13

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
I'm on the second set of ST Goodyear Marathons on our 19. The First set went 42000
Miles and still had 4/32 or better. I usually run about 62 MPH or less if the limit is lower.
The key, I feel, is consistently checking the inflation and even side to side loading in the trailer. When we drive 62, we usually travel between 3 and 4 hundred miles in a day. 6 to 7 hours is easy for me yet. Balanced tires are a must. Will rotate Front to back this year. Works for me.
Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 06:50 PM   #14

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
From the RV101 site:

Tim Fry, senior development engineer with Goodyear Tire & Rubber Company stated, “The major difference is reflected in the polyester cords used in ST tires. These cords are bigger than they would be for a comparable P or LT tire. Typically, the steel wire also has a larger diameter or greater tensile strength to meet the additional load requirements. Because of the heavier construction for an equal volume of air space, an ST tire is designated to carry more load than a P or LT tire.”

One thing I'm sure of is that tire engineers know more than I do about tires, so I tend to put more weight into what they have to say rather than anecdotal "evidence" on websites.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 07:01 PM   #15

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
I currently have 3 trailers with various rated ST tires, and have had another dozen trailers over the years with them too. I have always ran them at maximum inflation, and have never had an issue due to the tires. Personally, I would always opt for the stiffer walled ST tires on a trailer, just what they were designed for.

This is what works for me, everyone is free to choose as they wish.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 07:02 PM   #16
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
I hate tire discussions. I've been a member of the all-molded towable forums since 2002. A very long time. One thing I've concluded, is there's no clear winner when it comes to brands. Not even good 2nd or 3rd place winners.

It always seems to come down to conditions other than "best" brand. There's things like, asphalt temperature, born on date, speed of travel and tire pressure. Casita 17' seem to have the biggest issues. Is it due to the trailer being typically heavier on one side?

IMHO I've determined, buy the best tires you can. This is not where you cheap out trying to save a few bucks when your expensive asset depends on 2 or 4 tires. Pay attention to heat, air pressure and speed. Replace the tires when it's time, based on YOUR travel experiences and needs.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 08:06 PM   #17

Trailer: pondering.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
IMHO I've determined, buy the best tires you can. This is not where you cheap out trying to save a few bucks when your expensive asset depends on 2 or 4 tires.
agree with that ...last time this camper checked, ETI offered standard a rather middle of the road tire .....was told ETI gets their tires delivered on a rim and they don't change tires on the rim.
Asked about upgrading to a better tire and you have to bring them mounted on a rim...(which is a PTA) and they will put your tires/rims on trailer and give you about $70 CDN deduction per tire/rim..so bottom line if you want to buy what you feel may be a better tire than standard when you get your trailer its going to take a bit of effort apparently..it would be nice if ETI worked out some kind of deal with a tire place near them...which there may be several to consider.
....and you might need to ask ETI for the specs on their rim so you can get one that fits!.....
freespirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 08:16 PM   #18

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I think Safeway should keep the charcoal briquettes and steak sauce in the same aisle as the meat.
Old 02-03-2017, 08:26 PM   #19

Trailer: pondering.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
I think Safeway should keep the charcoal briquettes and steak sauce in the same aisle as the meat.
thought the thread was about tires....
freespirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 08:50 PM   #20

Trailer: 2017 5.0 TA picked up in July 2017.
Quote:
Originally Posted by freespirit View Post
agree with that ...last time this camper checked, ETI offered standard a rather middle of the road tire .....was told ETI gets their tires delivered on a rim and they don't change tires on the rim.
Asked about upgrading to a better tire and you have to bring them mounted on a rim...(which is a PTA) and they will put your tires/rims on trailer and give you about $70 CDN deduction per tire/rim..so bottom line if you want to buy what you feel may be a better tire than standard when you get your trailer its going to take a bit of effort apparently..it would be nice if ETI worked out some kind of deal with a tire place near them...which there may be several to consider.
....and you might need to ask ETI for the specs on their rim so you can get one that fits!.....
At 5 tires/wheels per trailer that could be a lot of storage space depending on how often they get deliveries. Adding more choices than the two offered can get complicated quickly and limit their discount on the brands they are using.
SFDavis50 is offline   Reply With Quote