Toddler bed rail - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 09-20-2015, 12:03 AM   #1

Trailer: 2015 19" -Are we there yet?-
Toddler bed rail

Wondering if anyone uses a bed rail for their small child. I'll be picking up an escape 19' and plan to have my 2 year old sleep on the dinette conversion bed. If you use a product or have a mod that works please let me know.

Thanks
erikcampbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 02:02 AM   #2

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic #7
greetings erikcambell,
we have a 21, our kids are 7,4 & 9mo, when they were younger mom and dad would each sleep in a different bed. Now the olders sleep on the dinnette bed together.

we never used a bed rail.
7th Heaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 05:21 AM   #3

Hey,

Quick easy off the top of my head fix is a baby/ dog gate from the bath wall to the door frame . They make them to fit all size door widths and heights from 32 to 48 inches the pressure bar style would keep the baby from falling out . Or the permanent mount style ie clips screwed in gate drops on would be more secure as the baby couldn't push it . If your handy with wood even a little a folding panel that slips under the cushion to sit on the supports under it would work. Though ,you would have to mount a bracket or flip up hinge to attach the panel to the supports to prevent it from sliding out. I am not near my shop at the moment but if you wait I can sketch it up and post it . Mind you it is 0620 lol so thanks are the best ideas on only a single cup of coffee. note I am more of a metal fabrication person there are several skilled wood workers here who probably have some better thoughts on wood specifics.

Cypher
Cypherian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 10:21 AM   #4

Trailer: 2006 17b Goucho
I made a bed rail out of copper pipe for my goucho bunk but you could use PVC pipe instead and slide it under the cushions (I assume). Copper pipe is thinner, so it would have less of a bump under the cushion. I had to use copper to fit inside square rail supports that I had to add under the bunk. You could add as many vertical and horizontal rails, as closely spaced, as you like. If the under cushion legs were screwed on then it would be easier to store it out of the way.

The bathroom wall provides a built in bed rail for about a quarter of the bed so a rail doesn't have to be too long. I don't think you would want to totally rail off the entire width as there would be no way to climb into bed.

This link provides details.

Escape Trailer Bunk Bed Rail - Fiberglass RV
Thane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 10:48 AM   #5

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Put a couple of pillows along the top edge of the bed, maybe even wrapped in a blanket. Kids grow really fast. It will only be a short while and your youngster will manage quite fine without restraints.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 11:04 AM   #6

Trailer: Escape 19, Escape 23 on order
We're in the same situation, with two young girls. We have a 19 and plan on putting one or two of the adjustable shower curtain rods in place by the dinette.

We tried some pillows in the previous trailer and the oldest still ended up rolling out in the middle of the night. The screaming probably woke most of the campground.

I wonder if I should look into one of those stretchable cargo nets instead, given that my girls are 'active' sleepers.

I like Thane's modification, may need to create something similar. Bonus points if I can stow it up above when in dinette mode.
smeagol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 01:15 AM   #7

Trailer: 2015 19" -Are we there yet?-
My wife said we already had a conversation about this subject. She suggested just using a foam noodle under a blanket. As ice-breaker says, kids grow really fast. I know this to be true by the amount of baby stuff in my garage that was used for a month or two. So I won't be making a mod-rail or anything like that. Basically just a long pillow will be used.
erikcampbell is offline   Reply With Quote