Tongue jack modification - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 02-18-2017, 11:18 PM   #1
Member
 
Ralph & Paulette's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: St. Louis, Missouri
Trailer: 2016 21' - "Escapee"
Posts: 83
Tongue jack modification

We ordered our 21 with the standard manual tongue jack, thinking we didn't really need an electric jack (our Casita was easy to jack up manually). Now, we sometimes wish we had the electric one. Sigh... Now, I guess I could replace it with an electric and tap into 12v power somewhere, but what I'd REALLY like is a manual jack with a removable handle and a drive nut the same size as on the stabilizers so I can raise and lower it with my cordless drill. Has anybody made that modification to their manual jack? Or found a replacement manual jack like that?


Sent from my SM-T807V using Tapatalk
__________________

__________________
Ralph & Paulette
Ralph & Paulette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 11:37 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Posts: 11,793
Yes, but not me, and the modification was not necessarily to the same jack you have:
Tongue Jack handle
__________________

Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 11:54 PM   #3
Member
 
Ralph & Paulette's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: St. Louis, Missouri
Trailer: 2016 21' - "Escapee"
Posts: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Yes, but not me, and the modification was not necessarily to the same jack you have:
Tongue Jack handle
Hmm, interesting. Thanks. My 21 is currently in storage, but I'm picking it up Friday, so I'll have to take a closer look at the jack and see if I can make it work on that jack. If not, I'll check out jacks on etrailer.com.
__________________
Ralph & Paulette
Ralph & Paulette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 12:38 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: North Van., British Columbia
Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Posts: 4,810
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph & Paulette View Post
Has anybody made that modification to their manual jack? Or found a replacement manual jack like that?
Sent from my SM-T807V using Tapatalk
Yup, and I've done tons of mods that worked out well. That wasn't one of them.

I replaced the shaft with one that had the same size head as the stabilizers. It was horrible. I don't think the gearing is suitable for use with a cordless drill. First, it requires a lot of torque, not a problem but difficult to control. Secondly, the howl, even well greased, may me think the the cut of the gear just wasn't suitable.

So I'd say, either buy an electric one or use the manual one as is.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 12:37 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Kelowna, British Columbia
Trailer: 2008 Escape 17b
Posts: 1,890
I've just got the 17' Escape trailer but, that said, I've never found the manual jack even the slightest bit of a problem to wind up or down. An electric jack can easily be added later, perhaps even bought on sale. Why not try the manual jack first.
J Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 12:45 PM   #6
Member
 
Ralph & Paulette's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: St. Louis, Missouri
Trailer: 2016 21' - "Escapee"
Posts: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Mac View Post
I've just got the 17' Escape trailer but, that said, I've never found the manual jack even the slightest bit of a problem to wind up or down. An electric jack can easily be added later, perhaps even bought on sale. Why not try the manual jack first.
Yeah, been using the manual jack. It works ok, but you have to crank it what seems like a really long time to raise or lower a few inches. Maybe I'm just getting lazy...

Sent from my SM-T807V using Tapatalk
__________________
Ralph & Paulette
Ralph & Paulette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 02:01 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Kamloops, British Columbia
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
Posts: 249
Manual jack - simple, reliable, inexpensive
Power jack - several moving parts and heavy, risk of power source or motor failure, higher cost
Physically unable to use manual jack - benefit power jack, otherwise, burn some calories and stick with the manual jack.
gharper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 02:27 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
gbaglo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: North Vancouver, British Columbia
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B - "Toad". '08 Toyota RAV4 V6
Posts: 13,669
Should also be mentioned that the electric jack, when operating, sounds much like nails on a chalk board, but so much louder.
__________________
2009 Escape 17B "Toad"
2008 Toyota RAV4 V6 Sport
North Vancouver, British Columbia

What happens to the hole when the cheese is gone?
- Bertolt Brecht
gbaglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 02:38 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
float5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Denison, Texas
Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Posts: 5,156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph & Paulette View Post
Yeah, been using the manual jack. It works ok, but you have to crank it what seems like a really long time to raise or lower a few inches. Maybe I'm just getting lazy...

Sent from my SM-T807V using Tapatalk
Wish we had a power jack, too. It is one of those items that we are "going to get." Some time. Have been in a few situations where the manual was a lot of trouble no matter the temperature, and also could have used it in 100F. An RV place will install one if you want.

Are you placing some blocks to keep your cranking distance down? That can help but have to be careful not to put too many.
__________________
Cathy. Floating Cloud
"Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air.... "
Emerson
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 02:56 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Patandlinda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Ventura County, California
Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Posts: 5,673
Quote:
Originally Posted by gharper View Post
Manual jack - simple, reliable, inexpensive
Power jack - several moving parts and heavy, risk of power source or motor failure, higher cost
Physically unable to use manual jack - benefit power jack, otherwise, burn some calories and stick with the manual jack.
Well said our thoughts exactly . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 03:40 PM   #11
Member
 
Ralph & Paulette's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: St. Louis, Missouri
Trailer: 2016 21' - "Escapee"
Posts: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by float5 View Post
Wish we had a power jack, too. It is one of those items that we are "going to get." Some time. Have been in a few situations where the manual was a lot of trouble no matter the temperature, and also could have used it in 100F. An RV place will install one if you want.

Are you placing some blocks to keep your cranking distance down? That can help but have to be careful not to put too many.
Yeah, we have started putting blocks under which has definitely helped. I guess I'll stop whining and consider it part of my exercise program.

Sent from my SM-T807V using Tapatalk
__________________
Ralph & Paulette
Ralph & Paulette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 04:49 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
Steve Clark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Fremont, California
Trailer: 2016 21. '15 Ford Explorer V-6
Posts: 1,482
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph & Paulette View Post
Yeah, we have started putting blocks under which has definitely helped. I guess I'll stop whining and consider it part of my exercise program.

Sent from my SM-T807V using Tapatalk
Alternate your arms, Ralph, so you don't over develop your dominant side.
__________________

__________________
Steve and Debbie
2016 - 21'

“Get out the map and lay your finger anywhere down” -Indigo Girls
Steve Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off






» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Escape Trailer Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:31 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.
×