Tounge Battery ( Topic has been split/merged ) - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 01-23-2010, 01:42 PM   #21

Trailer: 2010 Escape 17 B
Re: Tounge Battery ( Topic has been split/merged )

Glenn, I LOVE that!!!!
Old 01-23-2010, 02:55 PM   #22

Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014

Gerda I do not think you need to worry about having a battery stored inside the camper. This method of carrying a battery have been common in the industry for over 20 years. If a battery is inside a trailer or camper it (by RV Code) must be installed in a sealed and vented container. Notice on the photo below the venting is on the top, as a scientist you know the properties of hydrogen, the design allows any buildup to rise and escape (notice that play on words).

A bigger issue would be the loss of storage and the need to access it several times in the year to check water levels and perhaps remove it for winter storage.

You were going with the single 12 volt on your 17' were you not?

I like the battery out of sight, it can be stolen. Probably unlikely as they are heavy and do not have a good resale value. My main reason is appearance, I think it looks funny hanging off the back.
Attached Images

fudge_brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 03:21 PM   #23
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA

Perhaps a future mod for y'all, but the molded manufacturer that starts with a "C" has the battery inside too. But, there's an exterior hatch door and the entire battery area is sealed from the cabin area. A regular RV battery can be used. Many have added a sliding shelf to mount the battery and it makes battery maintenance far easier. Too, a battery "disconnect" switch can/has been added. Flip the switch, the entire electrical system is shut down. I don't even know where the inside battery is located in the Escape, so maybe this isn't even a possibility....
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 05:38 PM   #24

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4

Hi: Donna D...In our 5.0 the 12V. is under the rear dinette bench and the vent outlet is beside the pass. side tail light. So far it is the original battery and I have only checked levels and added a small amt. of distilled water once!!! The table comes out and the cushions removed...but the biggest job is to unbolt the case top and make sure it re seals. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 07:49 PM   #25

I had a little time today to take a few pictures of our tongue/box. I really like it, the guy at the RV shop who filled the propane tanks today really liked it also and was really impressed with the Escape and had never seen anything quite like it. The box really offers some great storage for tools, chocks and so forth even with the two 6v batteries inside the box. My dad threw some stuff in there and we have not organized anything yet.

Attached Thumbnails
trailer 002a.jpg   trailer 003a.jpg  
GoCougsKev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 08:02 PM   #26

pics of batteries
Attached Thumbnails
trailer 010a.jpg  
GoCougsKev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 06:47 PM   #27

Trailer: 2009 17B "Suite Escape" pulled by a 2020 Toyota Sienna

Needless to say, there are occasional earthquakes in California and we are required to put straps on water heaters to affix them to the house (the garaged ones, anyway.) I had a left over one that my son modified and we put it around battery and bumper on the "Suite Escape" and secured it with a padlock. I was afraid of theft. While not foolproof, it will be a bit of work to remove it! However, it makes for a bit more work to check the H2O level, but I'd rather do that than miss a battery.