Trailer mule - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 07-03-2014, 09:50 PM   #1

Trailer: Escape 15A
Trailer mule

For my trailer mule,I used the basic idea from

John Skora

Also from jac 2976

I did some things different and used some materials I had laying around.It will enable me to manoeuvre my Escape around on my cement pad and get it up on my levelling ramp,which I couldn't do before and had to jack it up all the time to run the fridge.

Before all the armchair critics get to it,I know and will have to secure it to the trailer frame better,but it works for what I need.

My version:
Old 07-03-2014, 11:37 PM   #2

Trailer: 2002 Escape 13'
Pretty slick design!
hotfishtacos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 11:51 PM   #3

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 Classic
Great job!!!
Seef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 12:31 AM   #4

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
I hadn't seen those designs before, thanks for posting and good job. I hope some others will post their designs also.

For both my mule projects I used a similar modified winch with a sprocket.

On the Scamp 13 I added it to a cheapo trailer dolly powering one wheel. It worked fine but the the dolly was so flimsy that it probably would have self destructed if I'd used it for a longer time.

For the much heavier tandem axle Escape I didn't even bother trying it out. I knew for use on uneven ground that two wheel knobby tires would be needed. I'm glad that I only made up a mock-up of the frame from wood for testing because some changes are required. I didn't realize how much extra effort it took to make the tandem wheels pivot. Before I make a finished version I'll add a lay shaft so that I can give it more grunt.
Attached Thumbnails
cropped trailer dolly_resize.jpg   P4220040_resize.jpg  
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 11:35 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
I hadn't seen those designs before, thanks for posting and good job. I hope some others will post their designs also.

For both my mule projects I used a similar modified winch with a sprocket.

On the Scamp 13 I added it to a cheapo trailer dolly powering one wheel. It worked fine but the the dolly was so flimsy that it probably would have self destructed if I'd used it for a longer time.

For the much heavier tandem axle Escape I didn't even bother trying it out. I knew for use on uneven ground that two wheel knobby tires would be needed. I'm glad that I only made up a mock-up of the frame from wood for testing because some changes are required. I didn't realize how much extra effort it took to make the tandem wheels pivot. Before I make a finished version I'll add a lay shaft so that I can give it more grunt.
I first bought a dolly same as yours and had in mind to do the same thing,but also found it to be to flimsy , so then found this style on line.
Your wooden mock up should work.What size winch motor are you using,don't think mine would be strong enough to move a larger unit.

Yes, it would be great to see what others have made if they have.
Old 07-04-2014, 02:39 PM   #6

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
The wood frame actually was fine from a structural point and it could continue to work fine but I'll probably weld up a steel frame at some point.

My winch, which I already had, is rated for 1500#. It really groans under load. The videos were good to see because those winch motors also make quite a bit of noise under load. It's never popped the circuit breaker but I don't like making it work that hard. Not only is the Escape much heavier than the Scamp but the mule wheel diameter is also larger so if I add a lay shaft it shouldn't have to work as hard.

Lot's of DIY'ers on this site, so let's see what else has been done. Always interesting to see how others have solved a similar situation.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 03:13 PM   #7

Woodie, I have a commercial tug and it moves much slower than yours and is very controllable. You may gain some power and stability by increasing the diameter of the sprocket to the largest you can get for the drive wheel.

Steve
Old 07-04-2014, 04:23 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotfishtacos View Post
Woodie, I have a commercial tug and it moves much slower than yours and is very controllable. You may gain some power and stability by increasing the diameter of the sprocket to the largest you can get for the drive wheel.

Steve
Would be nice to see a picture or video ,or an internet site that tells all about it.Yes I could have gone a little bigger on the sprocket,to late now as it is welded to the tire rim.
Old 07-04-2014, 04:58 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodie View Post
Would be nice to see a picture or video ,or an internet site that tells all about it.Yes I could have gone a little bigger on the sprocket,to late now as it is welded to the tire rim.
Woodie, I didn't know it was welded or I wouldn't have made that suggestion. I have the PowerMovers model AC6. Here is a video of it in action.

PowerMoverVideo04-01-13 - YouTube
Old 07-04-2014, 06:11 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotfishtacos View Post
Woodie, I didn't know it was welded or I wouldn't have made that suggestion. I have the PowerMovers model AC6. Here is a video of it in action.

PowerMoverVideo04-01-13 - YouTube
No worries on your suggestion earlier,I welcome all comments.
Thanks for the link.Those are really nice,but a little pricy on my budget.I do like the idea that it is not permanently attached to the trailer like mine,but then again I can use mine at the campground to bring the trailer to the tow vehicle instead of backing up my truck and getting in and out 10 times to line it up