Trailer valet installation on our 2016 21' - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 02-26-2016, 09:37 PM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: La Verne, California
Trailer: 2016 21' Escape
Posts: 33
Trailer valet installation on our 2016 21'

Hi Everyone,
This morning I rec'd the first of many additions to our 21. It's a "Trailer Valet" and it works as advertised. It fits perfectly on the frame with no modifications needed and required only minor mods to the mounting bracket and propane tank cover for clearance. BTW, I have an inclined driveway and was still able to maintain traction on the wheels (uphill) by dropping the nose. I'll respond to questions if any.
Mark
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SAM_1171.JPG (316.8 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg SAM_1167.JPG (311.7 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg SAM_1169.JPG (310.1 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg SAM_1173.JPG (311.5 KB, 28 views)
__________________

M.W.Deters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 09:40 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Patandlinda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Ventura County, California
Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Posts: 4,003
Quote:
Originally Posted by M.W.Deters View Post
Hi Everyone,
This morning I rec'd the first of many additions to our 21. It's a "Trailer Valet" and it works as advertised. It fits perfectly on the frame with no modifications needed and required only minor mods to the mounting bracket and propane tank cover for clearance. BTW, I have an inclined driveway and was still able to maintain traction on the wheels (uphill) by dropping the nose. I'll respond to questions if any.
Mark
curious about the incline of your driveway ? Pat
__________________

Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 09:48 PM   #3
Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: La Verne, California
Trailer: 2016 21' Escape
Posts: 33
My driveway is fairly steep, enough so the jack is nearly bottomed out in order to level the trailer. I'll post a photo tomorrow.
M.W.Deters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 10:39 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Patandlinda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Ventura County, California
Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Posts: 4,003
Quote:
Originally Posted by M.W.Deters View Post
My driveway is fairly steep, enough so the jack is nearly bottomed out in order to level the trailer. I'll post a photo tomorrow.
Thankyou . Still looking for my 19 to get up driveway which has a incline on concrete. How was the weight of the trailer pushing up the driveway ? Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 11:23 PM   #5
Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: La Verne, California
Trailer: 2016 21' Escape
Posts: 33
I back our trailer into the driveway which in my case means downhill. If I didn't chock the back of the wheels it would roll. If you are backing your trailer uphill then the weight increases on the valet and improves traction...that's good. My case is the reverse and so by dropping the nose I can get a bit more weight on the valet and thus better traction. Mine is a worst case scenario and fortunately it works.
M.W.Deters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 11:27 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Patandlinda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Ventura County, California
Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Posts: 4,003
Quote:
Originally Posted by M.W.Deters View Post
I back our trailer into the driveway which in my case means downhill. If I didn't chock the back of the wheels it would roll. If you are backing your trailer uphill then the weight increases on the valet and improves traction...that's good. My case is the reverse and so by dropping the nose I can get a bit more weight on the valet and thus better traction. Mine is a worst case scenario and fortunately it works.
Can't wait for your pictures tomorrow so I can get a better idea . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 11:44 PM   #7
Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: La Verne, California
Trailer: 2016 21' Escape
Posts: 33
Photo of trailer on incline Re: Trailer Valet

Okay, so I just went out and took a photo which shows how much of a pitch our driveway has. The trailer is level so you can see how large the drop is by comparing the front bottom of the trailer to the rear bottom. The pitch unloads the front of the trailer and so takes the weight off the valet. Even still there was enough weight transferred by dropping the nose to afford sufficient traction for the valet's wheels. If I were to turn my trailer 180 degrees it would increase the weight on the valet's wheels and traction would increase as I pushed the trailer uphill. I hope this helps.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SAM_1174.JPG (311.2 KB, 56 views)
M.W.Deters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 12:13 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
Patandlinda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Ventura County, California
Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Posts: 4,003
Quote:
Originally Posted by M.W.Deters View Post
Okay, so I just went out and took a photo which shows how much of a pitch our driveway has. The trailer is level so you can see how large the drop is by comparing the front bottom of the trailer to the rear bottom. The pitch unloads the front of the trailer and so takes the weight off the valet. Even still there was enough weight transferred by dropping the nose to afford sufficient traction for the valet's wheels. If I were to turn my trailer 180 degrees it would increase the weight on the valet's wheels and traction would increase as I pushed the trailer uphill. I hope this helps.
Thankyou . I think it would show better in daylight . I have to push it up the incline . I am worried it would be hard to do . I understand the weight being on the front which It would be my case . I could also get a picture tomorrow. I appreciate you trying to help . So far no one else can reassure me it will work even the trailer dolly sales people . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 07:17 AM   #9
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Lake Worth, Florida
Trailer: 2009 Escape 19
Posts: 46
Can a cordless 1/2" impact drill be used in lieu of the crank on this model?
__________________
Garland & Lou Ann
FlaGman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 10:53 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
Dave Walter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19 & 15B
Posts: 1,869
Quote:
Originally Posted by M.W.Deters View Post
Hi Everyone,
This morning I rec'd the first of many additions to our 21. It's a "Trailer Valet" and it works as advertised. It fits perfectly on the frame with no modifications needed and required only minor mods to the mounting bracket and propane tank cover for clearance. BTW, I have an inclined driveway and was still able to maintain traction on the wheels (uphill) by dropping the nose. I'll respond to questions if any.
Mark
From your photo, it looks like the clearance may be impeded somewhat by both the propane tanks and the storage box. How many degrees of swivel do you estimate that you have. From the photo, which could be misleading, it looks to be less than 90 deg.
__________________

__________________
2013-19' & 2013-15B {avg is two 17's}, towed by 2011 Toyota FJ Cruiser

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off






» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:37 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.