Trailer valet installation on our 2016 21' - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 02-26-2016, 08:37 PM   #1

Trailer: 2016 21' Escape
Trailer valet installation on our 2016 21'

Hi Everyone,
This morning I rec'd the first of many additions to our 21. It's a "Trailer Valet" and it works as advertised. It fits perfectly on the frame with no modifications needed and required only minor mods to the mounting bracket and propane tank cover for clearance. BTW, I have an inclined driveway and was still able to maintain traction on the wheels (uphill) by dropping the nose. I'll respond to questions if any.
Mark
Attached Thumbnails
SAM_1171.JPG   SAM_1167.JPG   SAM_1169.JPG   SAM_1173.JPG  
M.W.Deters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 08:40 PM   #2

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by M.W.Deters View Post
Hi Everyone,
This morning I rec'd the first of many additions to our 21. It's a "Trailer Valet" and it works as advertised. It fits perfectly on the frame with no modifications needed and required only minor mods to the mounting bracket and propane tank cover for clearance. BTW, I have an inclined driveway and was still able to maintain traction on the wheels (uphill) by dropping the nose. I'll respond to questions if any.
Mark
curious about the incline of your driveway ? Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 08:48 PM   #3

My driveway is fairly steep, enough so the jack is nearly bottomed out in order to level the trailer. I'll post a photo tomorrow.
Old 02-26-2016, 09:39 PM   #4

Quote:
My driveway is fairly steep, enough so the jack is nearly bottomed out in order to level the trailer. I'll post a photo tomorrow.
Thankyou . Still looking for my 19 to get up driveway which has a incline on concrete. How was the weight of the trailer pushing up the driveway ? Pat
Old 02-26-2016, 10:23 PM   #5

I back our trailer into the driveway which in my case means downhill. If I didn't chock the back of the wheels it would roll. If you are backing your trailer uphill then the weight increases on the valet and improves traction...that's good. My case is the reverse and so by dropping the nose I can get a bit more weight on the valet and thus better traction. Mine is a worst case scenario and fortunately it works.
Old 02-26-2016, 10:27 PM   #6

Quote:
I back our trailer into the driveway which in my case means downhill. If I didn't chock the back of the wheels it would roll. If you are backing your trailer uphill then the weight increases on the valet and improves traction...that's good. My case is the reverse and so by dropping the nose I can get a bit more weight on the valet and thus better traction. Mine is a worst case scenario and fortunately it works.
Can't wait for your pictures tomorrow so I can get a better idea . Pat
Old 02-26-2016, 10:44 PM   #7

Photo of trailer on incline Re: Trailer Valet

Okay, so I just went out and took a photo which shows how much of a pitch our driveway has. The trailer is level so you can see how large the drop is by comparing the front bottom of the trailer to the rear bottom. The pitch unloads the front of the trailer and so takes the weight off the valet. Even still there was enough weight transferred by dropping the nose to afford sufficient traction for the valet's wheels. If I were to turn my trailer 180 degrees it would increase the weight on the valet's wheels and traction would increase as I pushed the trailer uphill. I hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails
SAM_1174.JPG  
Old 02-26-2016, 11:13 PM   #8

Quote:
Okay, so I just went out and took a photo which shows how much of a pitch our driveway has. The trailer is level so you can see how large the drop is by comparing the front bottom of the trailer to the rear bottom. The pitch unloads the front of the trailer and so takes the weight off the valet. Even still there was enough weight transferred by dropping the nose to afford sufficient traction for the valet's wheels. If I were to turn my trailer 180 degrees it would increase the weight on the valet's wheels and traction would increase as I pushed the trailer uphill. I hope this helps.
Thankyou . I think it would show better in daylight . I have to push it up the incline . I am worried it would be hard to do . I understand the weight being on the front which It would be my case . I could also get a picture tomorrow. I appreciate you trying to help . So far no one else can reassure me it will work even the trailer dolly sales people . Pat
Old 02-27-2016, 06:17 AM   #9

Trailer: 2009 Escape 19
Can a cordless 1/2" impact drill be used in lieu of the crank on this model?
Old 02-27-2016, 09:53 AM   #10

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Quote:
Hi Everyone,
Mark
From your photo, it looks like the clearance may be impeded somewhat by both the propane tanks and the storage box. How many degrees of swivel do you estimate that you have. From the photo, which could be misleading, it looks to be less than 90 deg.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 09:57 AM   #11

Yes, you could use a cordless, I plan to give it a try. It uses a square drive shaft but I believe you could use one of the universal sockets or make one to spin the drive. The manufacturer sells an adapter for $40 but that's crazy.
Old 02-27-2016, 10:03 AM   #12

I have at least 90 degrees of swivel relative to the trailer. Enough so that I can pivot the rig left or right without pushing it backwards.
Old 02-27-2016, 10:11 AM   #13

Re: Trailer valet on incline

Here's a daytime photo of our trailer and the incline of our driveway...the trailer is level. I believe the manufacturer says a 5 degree angle is acceptable, mine is more and it functions quite well.
Attached Thumbnails
SAM_1175.JPG  
Old 02-27-2016, 10:16 AM   #14

BTW, the crankshafts are interchangeable for use on either side of the unit if clearance is an issue.
Old 02-27-2016, 11:36 AM   #15

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Now that I can see your incline, why could you not just use a adjustable hitch that can be lowered enough to that measurement shown in the picture, 9-12" ? I'm guessing.
Old 02-27-2016, 04:57 PM   #16

Quote:
Here's a daytime photo of our trailer and the incline of our driveway...the trailer is level. I believe the manufacturer says a 5 degree angle is acceptable, mine is more and it functions quite well.
Thankyou for the picture. As they say a picture is worth a thousand words . I don 't think that would work for my situation . Too much hill to push up for me and I would have to make a turn from another hill . I am always looking . Pat
Old 02-27-2016, 05:02 PM   #17

Hi Jim,
I need the valet to maneuver around the driveway. It's not practical to back into place with the truck. The incline does not pose a problem when hitching up.