Truma combi heater - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 02-06-2019, 10:48 PM   #21

Trailer: 2017-21' Escape (sold) Casita 17' (sold)
so back on track....

anyone using a Truma Combi? I am considering moving to a new, different kind of rig, built new, and yes the Truma Combi is expensive, but it is much much much quieter and also more efficient with propane use for heat

also does hot water.

they are now standard equipment on some RVs. so (hopefully) service would not be a problem.

thanks for any actual real info about a Truma Combi
Losangeles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 05:16 AM   #22

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I remember when the first on demand water heaters were installed in trailers, had several in my Lance units. They were noisy and came on every time you turned on the hot water to wash your hands. the they ran for like 5 minutes afterwards before shutting off, very loud.
Old 02-07-2019, 10:14 AM   #23

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I remember when the first on demand water heaters were installed in trailers, had several in my Lance units. They were noisy and came on every time you turned on the hot water to wash your hands. the they ran for like 5 minutes afterwards before shutting off, very loud.
This is not apples to apples. The Truma Combi has a 2.6 gallon tank so it is not like a traditional "on demand' water heater. It is also reported to be nearly silent in operation (although I cannot find a single video of it in operation).

Additional advantages to the Combi that I see are:
-Weight savings
-Space savings
-Ducted hot air
-Propane savings (up to 97% efficient)
-Programmable thermostat
-Been used in Europe and Australia since 2007 (proven technology)

Potential disadvantages I see are:
-Cost
-Integrated appliance so one failure has the potential to take out both heating and hot water heating functions
-In furnace heating mode the hot water temperature is unregulated and can reach 162F
-Service providers may be few and far between in US/Canada
Old 02-07-2019, 11:36 AM   #24

Trailer: 2017-21' Escape (sold) Casita 17' (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
This is not apples to apples. The Truma Combi has a 2.6 gallon tank so it is not like a traditional "on demand' water heater. It is also reported to be nearly silent in operation (although I cannot find a single video of it in operation).

Additional advantages to the Combi that I see are:
-Weight savings
-Space savings
-Ducted hot air
-Propane savings (up to 97% efficient)
-Programmable thermostat
-Been used in Europe and Australia since 2007 (proven technology)

Potential disadvantages I see are:
-Cost
-Integrated appliance so one failure has the potential to take out both heating and hot water heating functions
-In furnace heating mode the hot water temperature is unregulated and can reach 162F
-Service providers may be few and far between in US/Canada
all good info..... i did not know that "-In furnace heating mode the hot water temperature is unregulated and can reach 162F"

to me the BIG key would be it being almost silent. I really really dislike the loud blowing of the propane heater.... it wakes me up a lot and i dont sleep so well. Earplugs just fall out, plus I do like being aware of my surroundings, at night.

the other big plus would be it's efficiency, and if I got the Truma Combi PLUS model, it will also heat air and water via 120v. Sweet. That would be very handy in some situations.

and i do plan on doing quite a bit of cold weather camping, plus occasionally below freezing camping, so it would be awesome for that. Especially boondocking.

I am going to call Truma USA now to ask about service....

Given more and more RV's are using Truma Combis (including some Winnebagos) i think service should quickly go from nothing to something.... as to what that something is... TBD.

J.
Losangeles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 12:15 PM   #25

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Losangeles View Post
all good info..... i did not know that "-In furnace heating mode the hot water temperature is unregulated and can reach 162F"

to me the BIG key would be it being almost silent. I really really dislike the loud blowing of the propane heater.... it wakes me up a lot and i dont sleep so well. Earplugs just fall out, plus I do like being aware of my surroundings, at night.

the other big plus would be it's efficiency, and if I got the Truma Combi PLUS model, it will also heat air and water via 120v. Sweet. That would be very handy in some situations.

and i do plan on doing quite a bit of cold weather camping, plus occasionally below freezing camping, so it would be awesome for that. Especially boondocking.

I am going to call Truma USA now to ask about service....

Given more and more RV's are using Truma Combis (including some Winnebagos) i think service should quickly go from nothing to something.... as to what that something is... TBD.

J.
They had a booth at the "Big Tent" here at Quartzsite. Looks like a winner all around, although the cut away version they had on the bench showed it was a very complex device. I'd want a good dealer/repair network before I went for one.
Old 03-09-2019, 11:43 AM   #26

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
They had a booth at the "Big Tent" here at Quartzsite. Looks like a winner all around, although the cut away version they had on the bench showed it was a very complex device. I'd want a good dealer/repair network before I went for one.
It looks like they are serious about moving into the US market. They will have a booth at RVX, a dealer show this March in Salt Lake City. Again, this looks like a very impressive combined hot water / heat device for small trailers.
Old 03-09-2019, 12:44 PM   #27

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Snowblower

Hi Jon
You’re a very nice fellow, I bet whoever is operating your blower while you’re basking in the Southwest appreciates those heated handles. I don’t have them on mine, I use big mittens.
Iowa Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote