TV mount in 19' - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 02-25-2012, 09:32 AM   #1

TV mount in 19'

I just had my brand new beautiful 19' delivered here to So Cal last Sunday (along with Steve). I ordered just about every option available as it is my soon-to-be-retired, go everywhere trailer. I've graduated from my simple 13' Scamp after 6 years and am a bit overwhelmed with the details of how to do everything in "Miss Fancy".

I ordered the dvd player/cable ready/tv antenna package. I'm trying to figure out today where the mount goes and HOW to mount it... I thought I had asked for the cable and plug for it to be in the far rear passenger side corner, thinking I would do some sort of hanging mount in the cabinet, but I guess I wasn't quite clear. The cable hook up is on the upper cabinet above the bed, next to the wall between the bed and stove, opposite the dvd player/radio.

In looking at others' mounts, it seems to me most are placing the mount on the aisle-edge of the wall - there must be a stud in there of some sort. My tv is a little 19" Vizio that weighs around 7 pounds. I'd like to cram it back into that corner as best as possible - I don't really want it sticking out into the aisle in any way and I only want the viewing to be from the bed... I'm trying to avoid any messy "cord management" problems... as the cable hookup and plug are the depth of the cabinet away in distance.

I'd like to leave the tv mounted during travel if I can. I'm looking for a secure place where it won't rattle off the wall and I'm trying to keep it as out of the way as possible.

Anyone have there's mounted in the corner?

Thanks.

Carol
Carol A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 03:06 PM   #2

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Re: TV mount in 19'

It looks as though the factory calls for the mount to be on the end wall between the stove and bed as you describe (the wall itself seems to be mostly hollow as far as I can tell). Mine has a piece of tape there "mount TV arm here". My cable outlet is in the same position as yours. I haven't looked too much into the mount yet (and I do not have the TV yet either) so I cannot really comment further. I also read or was told that the TV needs to be removed and stowed for travel. Perhaps others that have this same arm setup can post a photo and help us out.

Steve
2019 Chevy Silverado RST 1500, 5.3L
sjnuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 05:03 PM   #3

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4

Hi: Carol A...& sjnuss... Sorry I can't be of help as the wall of our 5.0 was reinforced, and the arm& gate lock installed for the previous owners. They kept the TV. I only mounted the flatscreen and the gate lock keeps the TV tight against the wall for travel. 1,000's of travel miles and I have only had to tighten one screw to the wall!!!
It's easy to find the reinforcing 1"X2's in the walls as Escape staples the panelling to the cross bars. You just have to locate the staple marks in the wood grain. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
Attached Thumbnails
gatelock open.jpg   wall flower.jpg  
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 05:30 PM   #4

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA

Carol, we have yet to use a TV, but have it ready for one, and the jacks are the same place as yours. I plan to mount the mount (which I got from Reace) on that gable between the kitchen and the bed, close to the front on the bed side. This was we can lay in bed and watch, or turn it towards the dinette and watch there.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 05:31 PM   #5

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19

Alf,
Your mount is different than what they are suppling for the 19. It looks as if "our" mounts are made to fit directly on the end piece. Here is a photo of where the factory marked the mounting spot.

Steve
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0364.jpg  
2019 Chevy Silverado RST 1500, 5.3L
sjnuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 09:06 PM   #6

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4

Hi: sjnuss...Yes our TV arm is major overkill, meant for a much larger, heavier TV. I would think Escape recommends putting the arm on the end of the partition so the screws will not possibily protrude through the wall. I believe our partition was made with a wider, poss. 1X3" edge board inside the wall. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 09:34 PM   #7

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE

How about a game of charades?

baglo
Old 02-26-2012, 09:40 AM   #8

Trailer: '09 Escape 19 "Grasshopper"

Here are pics of the tv mount & various cable connectors in our '09 19'. They are both on the driver side of the trailer. Also, the wires are run from the cd/dvd/radio player thru the cabinets (bundled together neatly along the bottom lip of the cabinet) to the connection location. The tv mount is near the edge but not on it. Hope this helps... Brad
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2522.JPG   IMG_3940.JPG  

'09 Escape 19 "Grasshopper"
'14 MB GL350 BlueTEC; '99 Toyota 4Runner V6 4WD
Texscapees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 10:37 AM   #9

That is exactly what I will do, Brad. Except that it will be on the other side of the bed. We sleep with our heads on the bath side.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 02-27-2012, 07:40 AM   #10

All of your photos are very helpful! I'm still trying to decide what to do... I'd like to use an under-counter mount in this corner and tuck the tv right up there. There are bulkheads in the cabinets that don't allow me to see what is in there but it feels very solid. I might have the wiring just moved back to the corner...

The other possible solution is to just buy a smaller tv - a 15 or 16", as the 19 is just a little too long to fit neatly in the standard location. If I do that, I think I may put a board to reinforce the wall and just mount it "not" on the edge... I guess I just don't want the tv to stick out - I want to be able to tuck it in a corner.
Attached Thumbnails
tvcornersm.jpg  
Old 02-27-2012, 09:57 PM   #11

Still puzzling about this this evening... if I get a smaller tv and more or less put it in the prescribed place, I've then still got wires sticking out everywhere - which is not particularly attractive... and I can foresee some sort of dog disaster (someone's going to get tangled while leaping around and pull the tv down and the wall with it no doubt).

So I must mount it high and out of the way.

The other solution is to just have some expert type person relocate the hook up... and just mount it in the corner as I first envisioned... it just seems to me, that the cable hook up thing would be better mounted on the bottom of the cabinet so the wires can mostly be stapled, at some corner seam, to the cabinet or something... and put some little security box over it so packing the cabinet extra full doesn't pull anything loose...

hmm...
Old 02-28-2012, 07:44 AM   #12

Carol, if you mounted it in the corner like you are suggesting, would it not make it more difficult to see from the dinette. Not only would it be further away, you could not see it from one side. Maybe if you hung it in the center, but then you are blocking much of the window.

Is this something you think will be mounted full time, or would it just be put up occasionally when you need it?

I don't think the cables would be that big of an issue, just have them made to an appropriate length (or buy them that way). You would likely want the TV fairly high anyway to keep it out of the way.

Do understand this is just speculation on my part, as in 3 years we have watched about 2 hours of TV, and maybe 4-5 DVDs, and just used a laptop sitting on the table for that.
Old 03-02-2012, 10:51 PM   #13

I'm still liking the rear corner for the tv. In poking around last weekend, it seemed like I should be able to run the wiring up along the base of the cabinet right along the edge between the cabinet and the wall, as it will hide behind the valance.

Now I'm on the hunt for a small "ceiling" mount...

I'm still concerned with what is up in that back corner... I did get the tv antenna and I'm thinking it is mounted and stabilized behind the bulkheads there... (may have to glue up a mounting board for the mount to the bottom of the cabinet so there is no possible interference).
Old 03-02-2012, 11:17 PM   #14

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE

I had my TV mounting arm for about 18 months trying to decide where to put it.
In the end, I gave it away.
I've got a 7" DVD player for movies, but we've not used it, even though I have a half dozen DVDs in the cupboard.
I was able connect that DVD player to a 15 inch TV I bought that could sit on the counter or in the closet.
The TV went with the daughter to college in Halifax.

I'm here at home watching TV so I'm not preaching, I hope, but you should try camping for a while without it. Figure out where you like to sit in the trailer in the evening, and then worry about where to mount the arm and how to wire it.

Drill no holes before their time.

baglo
Old 03-03-2012, 08:34 AM   #15

well, baglo, I've got 50 years of camping experience without a tv... so I know how it is... and I know I've got a lot of alternatives for watching movies as far as using the laptop...

I'm just trying to get the set up on the tv right, so I can do it once and be done.... I just don't want to keep fiddling around with it.

I fired up the water heater last weekend for the very first time and I can't tell you the smile that came over me... to see hot water pouring out of a faucet instead of a pan was a sight to behold!

I'm indulging myself with all the luxuries available and a movie at night or a chance to check the news once in awhile is one of the beauties of owning the trailer.
Old 02-19-2013, 10:27 PM   #16

Trailer: 2016 21' Escape (usetaowna a 19, a Burro and 2 Casitas)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol A. View Post
All of your photos are very helpful! I'm still trying to decide what to do... I'd like to use an under-counter mount in this corner and tuck the tv right up there. There are bulkheads in the cabinets that don't allow me to see what is in there but it feels very solid. I might have the wiring just moved back to the corner...

The other possible solution is to just buy a smaller tv - a 15 or 16", as the 19 is just a little too long to fit neatly in the standard location. If I do that, I think I may put a board to reinforce the wall and just mount it "not" on the edge... I guess I just don't want the tv to stick out - I want to be able to tuck it in a corner.
I like the idea of the tv in the corner. Maybe the wires can be bundled in the overhead cabinet during the build and owners who don't have the luxury of visiting the factory (like me) can locate the tv where we want later? I have a problem figuring out where to put the satellite receiver. I made up a pretty respectable sat/dvd shelf in my Casita which might be doable in the Escape.
Greggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 09:01 AM   #17

Trailer: 2017 Bigfoot 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texscapees View Post
Here are pics of the tv mount & various cable connectors in our '09 19'. They are both on the driver side of the trailer. Also, the wires are run from the cd/dvd/radio player thru the cabinets (bundled together neatly along the bottom lip of the cabinet) to the connection location. The tv mount is near the edge but not on it. Hope this helps... Brad
This is almost exactly like the TV set up in our 19. How do you secure the TV for travel?
DeadEyeDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 09:23 AM   #18

Trailer: 19'
Quote:
.....and does anyone smash their head on the mount when getting in/out of the dinette? thanks! j
jamie beers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 10:21 AM   #19

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Quote:
Brad, your setup is almost identical to ours. We find it works well and is great for lying on the bed watching a movie on wet evenings or evenings where you do not feel like being outdoors.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 12:25 PM   #20

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19' #2
On our 19 the TV mount is designed to be mounted on the fridge wall. There is a stud in that corner to mount it to and the TV would fold back on the fridge wall on the bed side. Our antenna connection is in the drivers side upper cabinet. If I am understanding you correct yours is on the passenger side of the trailer?

If that's the case I would call Rease and see where he reinforced the wall for the mount. If you did not have the wall reinforced and made solid he probably made provisions for it to be mounted in a certain location.

You can see the stud in the corner of the fridge wall in these pictures of ours.