TV Option - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-18-2009, 04:38 PM   #21

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Re: TV Option

Alf, I have entertained thoughts of just going with the in-dash type of stereo with separate speakers. They will take up some space in cabinets, but also leave it clearer under the cabinets. Do you have a second set of speakers as well?
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 04:47 PM   #22

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4

Hi: Jim... No second set of speakers!!! This system was put in by the previous owners thru Reace.
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
Attached Thumbnails
phpg5IehLPM.jpg  
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 06:41 PM   #23

Trailer: 2006 Escape 5.0

That looks good Alf! I'd asked Tammy about that type of stereo, and she said they discontinued it because it took up too much space in the cabinets. That's why they went to the undercounter style. One advantage of the automotive style however - it's powered by DC, so you can have your sweet music, even if you don't have shore power : - )
Hokie Escape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 06:51 PM   #24

Is the undermount stereo the Escape has gone with not 12V? If not, it would be of next to no use to me.

I had assumed that it was. The Jensen site does not show much for specs on the unit.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 02-18-2009, 06:59 PM   #25

Jim, I'd looked on the Jensen site as well, and since it didn't say, I assumed, with all the power and options (particularily the DVD player), that it was 110 AC. But, I may be wrong, and would hate to get that Kaluha in your tummy all churned up for no reason : - )
Old 02-18-2009, 07:11 PM   #26

No Kahula in the tummy tonight.

I found lots of Jensen owner manuals online, but not one for this unit. The more I have thought about it, the more I would consider it a no go then.

Edit: I just fired off and email to Jensen, hope to hear something tomorrow.
Old 02-18-2009, 07:33 PM   #27

I hope their online email form works, because both the customer and tech service emails I sent from Outlook got kicked back as undeliverable.
Old 02-18-2009, 07:43 PM   #28

If all else fails, ask the source - Tammy! She'll find out!
Old 02-18-2009, 09:21 PM   #29

Send a message via Yahoo to Edgar

Looks like a DV2007 AM/FM/CD/DVD Player is enclosed within the UTCDV2007IP. Here's some specs.

Features
Stereo, CD and DVD Player All-In-One
- 12 Volt DIN chassis
- Plays CDs, MP3 CDs, and DVDs
- Full iPodr controls from front panel with option al interface cable (#JIPDCBL)
- Composite video output/video input
- 4 speaker output
- 4 x 40W output power
- 4 channel Aux. output
- 1/8" Aux. A/V input for gaming use
- Selectable backlight
- Removable faceplate
- Infrared wireless remote control
- Full search capabilities through MP3 folders for video output
- Last-position CD/DVD memory
- Subwoofer output
- Power antenna output
- Station memory presets
- Preset scan and auto-store

At this point I'm planning to buy the Jensen JE1909RTL 19 in. Flat Panel LCD RV TV. 12V operation. It has the HDTV (1080p) tuner built in. I can also connect the laptop. Slick little TV.

Edgar
Edgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 09:57 PM   #30

Good sleuthing Edgar, that makes perfect sense, and of course you are right on the money. I could not find much doing a search on the UTCDV2007IP, and the one you showed kept coming up when I tried searching UTCDV2007. I never put it together/ I hadn't looked close at the dash mount types either.

Does anyone know what is meant by 4 channel Aux. output? Would this be a way of hooking up another pair of speakers? If not, I guess one could then just spice a 2 or 4-pole 2-way switch into one of the two sets of speakers to run to a set of speakers to be used outside.
Old 02-18-2009, 10:08 PM   #31

Here is the manual for the DV2007.

CLICK
Old 02-18-2009, 10:43 PM   #32

Send a message via Yahoo to Edgar

This is a really cool radio! I'll bet we could simply route the rear channel speaker outputs to outside speakers and use the Fade function to control volume of inside vs. outside speakers. Nice choice Tammy and Reace.

Edgar
Edgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 11:24 PM   #33

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE

Nothing to do with TV, but for audio I have a Sirius Stiletto 2 ( which still works although Sirius US is bankrupt ). It's a little bigger than my iPod and mounts in a dock in the car and plays through the radio. In the Toad it goes into the
Executive dock, a compact unit that requires AC. Decent sound for the price. It has a headphone jack so I can plug in my Altec Lansing iM speakers ( powered by AAA batteries or AC ) and use them outside. Also has Aux. in so I can plug in the iPod if I don't want to listen to Fox Talk, Howard Stern or NFL in the off-season.

The Exec dock comes with a stand or wall mount. I'm still deciding which to do. And, I plan to get an AC outlet installed outside so I have more options.

I'm not sure I understood the issue with AC versus DC. The Escape has AC outlets and an inverter that converts DC from the battery to AC. You don't need to be connected to have AC power. Not sure what the difference in draw would be.

Once you guys work out the TV issue, I might consider replacing the Insignia, but I figure if I'm that desperate to watch TV, I'll watch anything.

baglo
Old 02-19-2009, 12:25 AM   #34

Trailer: 2009 17B "Suite Escape" pulled by a 2020 Toyota Sienna

Since I don't want an obstructed view from where I think I'll mostly be while inside, I am having both the television and the stereo mounted on the passenger side with the TV arm mounted on the fridge cabinet (the bed side) near the aisle and the stereo under that cabinet between the light and the fridge cabinet.
HokieEscape, what is the surface behind your sink and stovetop? Is it magnetic?
Edgar, I sent you an e-mail to the address that you listed for this forum with pictures of the Eureka Escape that I saw. My attempted picture posts are rejected as being too large, and I haven't figured out how to downsize them. I normally am not a tv watcher except for about an hour in the evening and I do like having the ability to catch the news. Until I had one I never used one in an rv either.
One can order a 12 volt outlet. Just ask. I also understand that the interior lights run on both 12V and AC.
Old 02-19-2009, 05:25 AM   #35

Hi Sandra,
That's a stainless backsplash behind the sink, and the picture is from Alf's 5.0 (Escape Artist). We're picking up HokieEscape 5 weeks from today, and it too will have the stainless backsplash. Wheither it's magnetic or not stands to be seen. Depending on the composition of some stainless, it may or may not. I hope it is. Heh Alf, will your's hold a magnet?
Old 02-19-2009, 05:38 AM   #36

Oh yes, and Edgar, we're gonna keep you! That's a great solution! Thanks
Old 02-19-2009, 06:43 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo
I'm not sure I understood the issue with AC versus DC. The Escape has AC outlets and an inverter that converts DC from the battery to AC. You don't need to be connected to have AC power. Not sure what the difference in draw would be.
Glen, I have never heard that Escape supplies an inverter. I could be wrong though, it is just that I am sure it would be listed in the standard features.

I am by no means an expert on DC power conversion, but have been reading a bit lately, both for use with a trailer, and for an off-grid application at our land. Using an inverter causes some energy loss. The are anywhere from 75-95% efficient, and even worse when the draw is low. There are basically 2 types of inverters, Pure Sine and Modified Sine. The MS converters are cheaper to buy, but are less efficient, especially where motors are involved in that motors run even less effectively on them then they would on 120V. PS converters produce 'cleaner' power, but once you start getting above 300 watts, they really start to get expensive. 300 watts is enough to power most electronics, but not much electrical stuff. I have a 300 watt MS converter, and if the battery voltage drops very much at all, it tends to cut out if the load is near the top of the range too.

So, while inverters are great things where needed, I do prefer to try to stick to relying on the 12V system while off the grid, which would be at least 75% of the time.

I would be interested to hear what others have experienced with inverters as well.
Old 02-19-2009, 07:05 AM   #38

Hi: All...The stainless back splash covers the bathroom wall around to the edge of the range hood. I am sure I tried it and it is not fridge magnet friendly (good quality)...just my magnetic personality is!!!
Our 5.0 has a Parallax 7300 power supply " Most advanced 120V. to 12V. power system". That's the sum total of my knowledge of Watts n Volts... shocking Eh!!!
Old 02-19-2009, 07:36 AM   #39

I like the look of the Stainless backsplash Alf. Is that something Escape installed. Even though the better stainless is not magnetic due to the nickel in the mix, it would make for a good place to permanently mount something with sheet metal screws though.
Old 02-19-2009, 07:51 AM   #40

Hi: Jim...Yepper it was installed by Reace in place of the "Window over the sink". It also covers the wall of the bathroom beside the stove. I think the previous owners had it put there to deflect heat seeking "MISSILES"