TV Option - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 02-16-2009, 08:34 AM   #1

Send a message via Yahoo to Edgar
TV Option

Hi folks. I'm new to the forum and new to RV'ing when my Escape 19 gets built.

The TV option on the Escape is a 15-inch, 120 Volt unit. I'm thinking about requesting a 19-inch, 12-volt TV.
We'll typically watch DVD movies but may get into satellite dish lin future years.

What are thoughts and experiences of the forum on 12-volt TV operation and a larger screen?

Thanks!

Edgar
Edgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 09:27 AM   #2

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Re: TV Option

Hi: Edgar... The one thing the previous owners kept out of the trailer was the flat screen TV. We are looking for a replacement and would probably get a 19" as this seems to be almost the standard size for small flats!!! Before Christmas I saw a Samsung for(CDN$) $389. with a built in DVD player. We already have the swing arm attached to the wall so it should be an easy install. I dont think we will go for a 12V as we would only use it while plugged into a "current bush"!!!
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 02:33 PM   #3

Trailer: 2009 17B "Suite Escape" pulled by a 2020 Toyota Sienna

Welcome Edgar!
You are definitely on the right track in getting an Escape! Talk to Reace re: a larger TV. I'm getting a 19" with the swing arm on the fridge cabinet for both small and large (bed) dinette viewing.
Old 02-16-2009, 03:00 PM   #4

Trailer: 2006 Escape 5.0

"Before Christmas I saw a Samsung for(CDN$) $389. with a built in DVD player."

Heh Alf,
I've been checking out 19" TV's with DVD, and so far the problem I've found with most (owner reviews) is poor audio. I went to our local Best Buy and checked them out there also, with my own ear. Sure enough, the Sharp, Samung and Toshiba all had great pictures, but poor audio, particularily when you placed a DVD in it. I'd hate to get to a dramatic moment on a DVD, when all of a sudden, the AC or heat fan cuts in and ...... "what'd they say" Check out Best Buy's brand, INSIGNA. Seems to be built by LG, and the video and audio were very good on their 19" HDTV with DVD. Just my findings. Blessings
Hokie Escape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 03:23 PM   #5

Opps Edgar, I forgot to reference your question. I'm not familiar with a 12 volt model. Not sure how long your battery would last with that load. I turn the little 3" screen on, on my camera, and the battery is gone pretty quickly. I'd think a small generator would be more dependable if you like to watch TV. You'll find that the most fun camping is a good fire and the stars, with a good cup of coffee in your hand. You've made a great choice to invest in RV'ing, particularily, Escape-ing.
Old 02-16-2009, 04:49 PM   #6

Hi: HokieEscape... LG is a bad word here. My best friend has one and nothing but trouble. Two service calls and printed circuit boards changed and still not satisfactory. I know it might be an annomally but!!! I haven't made a decission yet, as the Mrs. says "We don't go camping to watch TV". BUT BUT BUT!!!
Old 02-16-2009, 05:14 PM   #7

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE

I have the Insignia 15" LCD, and it sucks. I bought it because the only other small TV I could find was a Curtis ( which doesn't inspire confidence ). You have to watch it straight on - the viewing angles are very narrow. Skin tones can be OK, or they can look like paint by colors, even within the same show. I don't recall the sound being good or bad.

I much prefer watching my 13" Sharp CRT, but I wouldn't want a tube TV in the Toad.

For any selection in flat screen TVs you seem to have to move up to 19". I would have liked a 7".

Anyway, since I don't have an antennae, the issue is pretty much moot. If I really want to watch something, I'll have to find a campsite with cable.
Old 02-16-2009, 06:17 PM   #8

Hmmmmmmm! May have to figure a way to boost the sound on the Toshiba or Sharp then : - ( Didn't know the problems with the Insignia (LG). Better keep looking I guess.
Old 02-16-2009, 07:11 PM   #9

Hi: All... I think the problem with small TV's are small speakers and amplifiers!!! Maybe earphones are called for
Old 02-16-2009, 09:56 PM   #10

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE

Quote:
Originally Posted by escape artist
Hi: All... I think the problem with small TV's are small speakers and amplifiers!!! Maybe earphones are called for
I have portable powered speakers ( Altec ) that I use with my iPod and Sirius Sat radio that could be used with a TV. There are lots of options for powered speakers that you could plug into the earphone jack. Check out the powered speakers made for computers too. Gamers need big sound when they blow things up, so that could be perfect for movies.

baglo
Old 02-16-2009, 10:40 PM   #11

Thanks for all the TV feedback.

We don't plan to get the antenna option or watch commercial TV while Escaping. But the New Jensen stereo (model UTCDV2007IP) in the Escape 19 has a DVD player with composite video out. I expect Netflix movie sound to come out of the stereo while relaxing in front of the big screen with my favorite honey. Appears that the Jensen stereo also has an output to a powered sub-woofer. Turning up the volume while watching Matrix will hopefully scare the bears away.

I'm not sure about the 110V TV vs. the 12V TV. Common sense tells me the 12V is more efficient while dry camping because we're not power converting. Any additional thoughts or feedback on a 12V TV would be helpful.

Sandra, I'm planning to have the TV mounted in the same location as you. Is Reace comfortable with the weight of a 19" TV on that wall panel?

Thanks again.

Edgar
Old 02-17-2009, 07:21 PM   #12

Trailer: 2009 17B "Suite Escape" pulled by a 2020 Toyota Sienna

Hi,
I think Reace is planning on anchoring the mounting arm near the aisle edge of the fridge, which is where I have seen another tv mounted, though it was a 15". Tomorrow, I will try to send a picture, but I gave pictures of the Escape that I saw in Eureka to Tammy. So, if you are nearby, you can scroll through those.
Since I am on my way out the door, I don't have the time to fiddle just now.

I just fiddled. Thanks Glenn. 2-21-09
Attached Thumbnails
Escape tv mount view-22.jpg   Escape tv mount-20.jpg  
Old 02-17-2009, 07:49 PM   #13

Hi: All... Was out shopping today and looked into Best Buy for 19" TV's. The problem I see is that most all the flat screen TV's have the speakers pointing down. This means that the sound is projected towards the floor . I also found the viewing angle of some quite narrow, but this won't affect much in the trailer. I still didn't buy one yet!!!
Old 02-17-2009, 09:01 PM   #14

Edgar, the stereo idea is a great one! I'll have to look into it. Most all the 19" HDTV's have really good pictures. The Jensen stereo would solve the audio problem, and save about $100 off the price of a TV that has a DVD attached. Thanks.
Old 02-18-2009, 08:03 AM   #15

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA

Lots of good input here. I am unsure yet exactly what I want to do with TV, and stereo.

I am mostly thinking along the lines that Edgar is. I don't plan on watching much regular TV, mostly movies and the such, so I will not be putting an antenna on. I will make it TV ready for whenever a hookup is available in a campground, though the majority of our use will be away from services.

I might just use my laptop for a bit while figuring out exactly what it is we want to do, though I would want to do as much preliminary wiring needed while the trailer is being assembled. I could just use a cable to USB type tuner. Any recommendations for one of these would be great too, I have not looked in to them much.

The UTCDV2007IP Under Cabinet Stereo/DVD Player that Escape is using does look like a nice stereo, and it would also double as a good DVD player. The drawback to this is that I would like to be able to listen to music outside without having a separate stereo. There does not seem to be any aux speaker out lines, other then for a subwoofer. If I could run a set of speaker from it, I would put jacks in the exterior hatch, and hook the speakers up there. I guess if it was dockable, that would solve the problem too.

Another conundrum I have is where I would eventually mount the TV, and/or stereo. It seems the side of the fridge cabinet would be the best bet, as plugs could likely be put there. It could then swing to face the dinette, or back around to be viewed in bed. I am thinking the stereo would be best front and center, if there is room for it there as it would direct out nice to the whole trailer. I will have to go over all this with Reace and Tammy, I guess.

One other idea I have been thinking about, is using something like a good iPod dock that has a clock and FM tuner, and a chargeable battery. I doubt I would be bringing CD's along, instead just burning them all to MP3. If I did have and Cd's, they could always be played on the laptop. This unit could also be used as aux speakers for a TV or laptop, and be used outside, or anywhere in the trailer. I could also get a DC converter to go from 12V to whatever the input is for the stereo. One that I was looking at that gets fairly good reviews is this [url=http://www.alteclansing.com/index.php?file=north_product_detail&iproduct_id=in motion_im600]Altec Lansing inMotion iM600.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 03:56 PM   #16

Sandra and Jim,

Sounds like we're all on the path of an Escape 19 (pronounced ES-ka-Pay, right?) in Spring. I just got a note from Tammy recommending that I bring the TV of my choice along and they will install for me on pick-up day. It'll probably be a lower cost way to go. And I can spec power and connectors early in the construction schedule.

Looks like the Stereo option is based on a good quality Jensen Marine radio. We'll be able to hose it down... I'm guessing the speakers are all connected with standard jacks inside the plastic cabinet. I fully expect to run switched speaker wires from the stereo to the outside for connecting portable speakers. It may be this new PC 5.1 surround sound technology that I'm too old to understand. The old Hi-Fi with R and L speakers were just fine back in college.

Sandra, where are you going to mount your Stereo option? I've never seen an Escape trailer and have no clue what the practical choices might be. Right now I'm thinking a good place is center aft under the cabinet, above the bed/window. Any thoughts from the veterans on what could work?

Edgar

Old 02-18-2009, 04:03 PM   #17

My Escape came with a tv - one that requires no power, very little mounting hardware, and delivers zero advertising. All I need to do is back up to something scenic, pull out the squeegee, and leave the blind open. Tada!! Cinema style seating and all the comforts of home.

(for times when that won't cut it, I take with me my Macbook - movies, internet, music, all in one place)
mosquitodirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 04:10 PM   #18

Edgar, that pronunciation sounds rather sophisticated.

Have you decided on a 12v, or 1120v TV? I still have not decided whether or not to install a TV at this time anyway, but definitely need to plan for it once I do want one in years to come.

Are you planning to spice in a selector switch for the exterior speakers? I would not care about anything more then simple stereo sound outside too.

Aft and center for the stereo does make the best sense sound wise, but I see using it other then with a remote a bit more of a pain there, having to crawl onto the bed to use it. This is why I was now thinking front and center. But, the closer to the TV for sound would be best.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 02-18-2009, 04:14 PM   #19

Dirk, that type of TV complete with surround sound that I intend to use the majority of the time. I have never had a TV in a trailer before, and have only ever watched a few movies on my laptop too. I just want to make sure all my options are covered for in the future when I would use one a bit more. My wife does get a bit of say in things, and she would like to see the option available should she want it.

Music is a given, my fingers can only handle so much guitar playing, I have to resort to others recorded music to fill the gap, and I appreciate a good sound. It does not have to be mind blowing, just good quality at a moderate volume.
Old 02-18-2009, 04:27 PM   #20

Hi: All... Jim here's a pic of our "Old fashioned" Lth.hand& Rt. hand Stereo in "Our Escape Hatch".
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie p.s. only one speaker showing!!!
Attached Thumbnails
phpEiQG2CPM.jpg