Twin bed in 19 instead of queen bed? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-10-2018, 03:58 PM   #1

Trailer: Will get an Escape 19 some day
Question Twin bed in 19 instead of queen bed?

Does anyone know if it would be possible to have a 19 built with a twin bed instead of the standard queen for the permanent bed? The queen bed is wasted space for me and I would be providing the mattress (an airbed with a pump, which would go in the space underneath). None of the appliances or tanks would have to be moved from their specified locations. I'm hoping the extra space could be used to push out the countertop and partition wall in the kitchen area and add a couple of drawers on the right side of the stove (I believe there's a tank in the lowest part, but that wouldn't have to be moved). I'd like to use the extra 20" generated on the other side of the refrigerator to put in a narrow cabinet, or even just some shelves.
Y is Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 04:03 PM   #2

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Y is Me View Post
Does anyone know if it would be possible to have a 19 built with a twin bed instead of the standard queen for the permanent bed? The queen bed is wasted space for me and I would be providing the mattress (an airbed with a pump, which would go in the space underneath). None of the appliances or tanks would have to be moved from their specified locations. I'm hoping the extra space could be used to push out the countertop and partition wall in the kitchen area and add a couple of drawers on the right side of the stove (I believe there's a tank in the lowest part, but that wouldn't have to be moved). I'd like to use the extra 20" generated on the other side of the refrigerator to put in a narrow cabinet, or even just some shelves.
Your plan is feasible. I would contact Escape though to see if they would do it. It would be a lot of customization from the standard layout, so I wouldn't be too hopeful, but only asking would let you know for certain.

Have you considered a reverse layout like some have done, swapping the bed and the dinette?
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 04:11 PM   #3

Thanks! I'm glad to hear that my idea is feasible since that modification would be perfect for me. I'm still kicking around towing configuration and model ideas and I'm two years or more out from placing an order, so I don't know if Escape wants to deal with all of the questions I'm coming up with as I read through forum posts and get ideas.
Old 03-10-2018, 04:21 PM   #4
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Jim's right, there's several that have reversed the layout with the bed upfront and a big dinette in the back. That's what I'd do if I had a 19'. But I've got both
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 04:25 PM   #5

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
In the past they have put in a twin in the front and rear dinette, if you wanted a twin in the rear then that is another story and ETI would be the best source of information.
Old 03-10-2018, 05:18 PM   #6

Thanks for the suggestion of the swapped layout, the twin bed in the front would be fine, but the big U-shaped dinette is wasted space for me. I guess I'll bug ETI with this question as I get closer to the time when I can place an order, or perhaps at a rally or RV show.
Old 03-10-2018, 05:43 PM   #7

What about the 17' Escape with the smaller dinette and full bed?
Old 03-10-2018, 05:45 PM   #8
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
What about the 17' Escape with the smaller dinette and full bed?
For a solo traveler, this is a good question. Smaller, lighter, and easier to tow. Personally, the one thing I would never ever give up on a 19 is the Queen bed, but then again, it's two of us.
Old 03-10-2018, 05:51 PM   #9
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
As a solo traveler, the one thing I wouldn't want to give up is the big dinette. When the weather is awful, it's nice to have a big spot to spread out, look out the windows and relax. It's about a close to a living room as one can get in an all-molded towable.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 05:53 PM   #10

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
“ I'm hoping the extra space could be used to push out the countertop and partition wall in the kitchen area and add a couple of drawers on the right side of the stove “

I believe the wall beside the stove is structural and is screwed into supports fiberglassed into the wall. I think this might have to stay. If you can work around that, then I think you would be fine. With the hatch in the bed your half way there in a diy job by just removing it.
I would slip in/over new cabinets on each side that could be removed for sale and returning the trailer back to the factory configuration.
Attached Thumbnails
E2FA8FDA-9954-4703-9ECA-7E001B2D7145.jpg  

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 05:57 PM   #11

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
It would be pretty easy to do as a retrofit if ETI wouldn't do it. The bed framing comes apart easily. Two storage units could fit in that area, one at the end of the counter and one beside the fridge. Minor relocation of the pex piping required. The bulkhead could also be modified to permit a longer counter. Lots of ways to skin a cat.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
IMGP0027_resize.JPG   IMGP0028_resize.JPG  
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 06:18 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
For a solo traveler, this is a good question. Smaller, lighter, and easier to tow. Personally, the one thing I would never ever give up on a 19 is the Queen bed, but then again, it's two of us.
That extra 2 feet of space really does make a difference, especially since I'm looking to live full time in this, or near as dammit. I can make do with only a small space, but the 17 is just too claustrophobic, even for me.
Old 03-10-2018, 06:24 PM   #13
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Y is Me View Post
That extra 2 feet of space really does make a difference, especially since I'm looking to live full time in this, or near as dammit. I can make do with only a small space, but the 17 is just too claustrophobic, even for me.
In that case, I'm thinking the best option is to just swap the bed and dinette locations. Escape has done this several times, so you're not asking for anything radical or that would affect the structural integrity. A nice full bed up front, and a nice large dinette in the rear. Make it a U-shape and you'll have under seat storage all the way around, and a nice lounge area as well. And, don't forget the quite large storage area under the front bed too. Drop a memory foam or latex mattress in the bed area and you'd have one fine setup. Many people prefer the rear dinette because at many campgrounds the view is better in the back. Changing the floor plan will cost you a bit extra, but it's well worth it if the layout works better for you.
Old 03-10-2018, 06:25 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
As a solo traveler, the one thing I wouldn't want to give up is the big dinette. When the weather is awful, it's nice to have a big spot to spread out, look out the windows and relax. It's about a close to a living room as one can get in an all-molded towable.
The big dinette sounds great for putting your feet up and lounging, but I was actually planning to put in a small rolling office type chair for that purpose. I'm one of those people who loves a rocking chair and that is as close as I'll be able to get in anything but a Class A or huge trailer that I'd need a full ton truck to pull.
Old 03-10-2018, 06:28 PM   #15

Jon V. spent just about 75% of the year living out of his 17' Escape for close to 4 years before upgrading both tug and trailer to his new 21'Escape.
Old 03-10-2018, 06:30 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggscape View Post
“ I'm hoping the extra space could be used to push out the countertop and partition wall in the kitchen area and add a couple of drawers on the right side of the stove “

I believe the wall beside the stove is structural and is screwed into supports fiberglassed into the wall. I think this might have to stay. If you can work around that, then I think you would be fine. With the hatch in the bed your half way there in a diy job by just removing it.
I would slip in/over new cabinets on each side that could be removed for sale and returning the trailer back to the factory configuration.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
It would be pretty easy to do as a retrofit if ETI wouldn't do it. The bed framing comes apart easily. Two storage units could fit in that area, one at the end of the counter and one beside the fridge. Minor relocation of the pex piping required. The bulkhead could also be modified to permit a longer counter. Lots of ways to skin a cat.

Ron
Eggscape and Ron, that sounds like it will be the best option if ETI can't do it. The only thing I'm worried about is the little bump underneath the bed that was shown in photos of the 2017 build.
Old 03-10-2018, 06:32 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Jon V. spent just about 75% of the year living out of his 17' Escape for close to 4 years before upgrading both tug and trailer to his new 21'Escape.
That's nice, but I'm not Jon V.
Old 03-10-2018, 07:02 PM   #18

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I think reclining chairs have been discussed in the past and that the benches are part of the support structure.
Old 03-10-2018, 07:09 PM   #19

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
I am afraid that the raised floor in the back of the 19, if that is what you refer to as bump, is there to stay. That is where the frame pops up.
Attached Thumbnails
0DEC0F7E-ECAE-4F22-A740-4BCDEDA992BA.jpeg  

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 07:11 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
In that case, I'm thinking the best option is to just swap the bed and dinette locations. Escape has done this several times, so you're not asking for anything radical or that would affect the structural integrity. A nice full bed up front, and a nice large dinette in the rear. Make it a U-shape and you'll have under seat storage all the way around, and a nice lounge area as well. And, don't forget the quite large storage area under the front bed too. Drop a memory foam or latex mattress in the bed area and you'd have one fine setup. Many people prefer the rear dinette because at many campgrounds the view is better in the back. Changing the floor plan will cost you a bit extra, but it's well worth it if the layout works better for you.
Actually, I had completely forgotten about the storage area under the front bed in a bed/dinette swap!

Hrmmm... Now that you mention it, I could have the larger dinette put in the back and keep the smaller dinette in the front. I think someone else mentioned the exterior access hatches to get to the spaces underneath the benches, so that would hopefully work for all 4. I could have ETI leave out the front table and table mount entirely so I could set up a board frame and thin sheet plywood across them for a bed frame for my airbed, which would leave the open area where the table would have been for easy access to plastic bin storage without having to kill my knees to get to it.

You guys are all great! Thank you for listening to me think out loud and give me ideas.