U-shape Dinette - can I have it both ways? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 01-25-2016, 08:03 PM   #1

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21
U-shape Dinette - can I have it both ways?

Hi all. We did not get the U shape dinette as we wanted the large table for when traveling with another couple, card games, puzzles, etc. We did get the Springfield pedestal.

I'm thinking of having a separate, smaller table built and a separate seat cushion to match the size of the table. Size-wise, it would have the same width, but lengthwise it would extend from the back wall of the trailer to the end of the pedestal mount. So the table would NOT be centered lengthwise on the pedestal.

When the pedestal is in the down position we throw the extra seat cushion on top, I use throw pillows for a back rest, and voila, we have a U shape dinette. The weight will be on the dinette side rails as well as the pedestal so it won't matter that the table is not centered.

When the pedestal is in the up position, we have a table that would be useful for the 2 of us if necessary. If we go on a trip where we'll need the bigger table we either reinstall it before we go, or bring both, depending on what we need and how easy it is to swap them out.

Has anyone done anything like this? Do you think it will be a problem having the table top not centered lengthwise on the pedestal?
Jill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 08:17 PM   #2

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Hi Jill- was commenting to Greggo the other day that I wonder sometimes of having the standard vs. u-shape dinette. We had the standard in our 17B so I know what that was like. Being that we don't use a table at all I would say this: one could have the standard dinette and have filler boards for the times you want a lounge. The only real difference to me is that A- in a 21 the batteries won't be stored in their new position in the rear bench in a u-shape configuration. B- you don't have the backrest- however that is a piece of plywood with fabric over upholstery wrap. It does provide some extra R value if someone is sleeping there.

Edit: the potential upside is that when you have the standard dinette configuration you have the long seat cushions all the way across.

If we had the standard dinette I would have three one-foot filler boards, or maybe one two-foot and a single one-foot. That gives you flexibility, and you can store them under the bed in front on a 21.

We keep the single 12" filler board we ordered at ETI mounted with a machine screw going into a threaded housing set into the rails so we can travel with it. We keep the second 12" board stored under the mattress when not using it.
Rossue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 08:19 PM   #3

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
I think your proposed solution would work fine Jill, and should fit your needs. There would be no issue with the offset smaller table, as it is really just a full sized one with a piece missing, so support would be no different.

I too was very hesitant to go U-shaped instead of having a full sized table. I am still not 100% sure I am going to get it myself. I would think that a 35"x29" table in the U-shape would be fine for 4 to play cards at. I certainly am planning on doing so myself.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 09:22 PM   #4

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21
Thanks Ross and Jim. Happy to hear that it should work. We'll add this to our project list and report back here once it's done.
Jill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 09:33 PM   #5

Trailer: 2016 21' Escape (usetaowna a 19, a Burro and 2 Casitas)
Interesting you should bring this up. Ross and I were just kicking this around. Im warming to his point of a regular dinette with a filler board and cushion spanning benches across the back of the dinette. Wigh a Springfield table pedestal and cut down the table length a little, esp after reading about it hitting the fold up extensions. Don't really need back cushions, we bought a couple of those padded bed things with the armrests.

As another incentive to do this, I realize it's awkward to access inside the benches. Ann and I started bringing smaller (14x24") Sterlite boxes and stashing the under the dinette with the table post held in them in place. We could still put them very nicely under the filler board and they'd be outta sight until we need them.