U-Shape dinette issue - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 01-26-2016, 02:24 PM   #1

Trailer: Escape 21' 2016
U-Shape dinette issue

We have the U-shape dinette, and had ETI install the table with the Springfield table base. When sliding the table side-to-side, it hits the fold down tables. Has anyone had this issue? I see nothing on the forum addressing this.

We are on our way to the SW as we speak in our new 21' for three months, so it will be first of May when we will be able to order the Dicor mechanism to slide back to front.
Carla Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 02:33 PM   #2

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA has gone to a good home in Manitoba. Now Class B+ owners sadly not an Escape
Does it hit the fold down tables when they are folded against the wall or just if they are extended?
Old 01-26-2016, 09:25 PM   #3

Trailer: 2016 21' Escape (usetaowna a 19, a Burro and 2 Casitas)
If the table length (not the width) was cut down 4 or 5 inches would it still be a problem?

G
Old 01-27-2016, 02:02 AM   #4

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Don't have the folding tables but our table slides front to back and couldn't hit them if we had them. Might be able to change the slider 90 degrees if you think that'd help.
Old 01-27-2016, 06:03 AM   #5

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carla Jean View Post
We have the U-shape dinette, and had ETI install the table with the Springfield table base. When sliding the table side-to-side, it hits the fold down tables. Has anyone had this issue? I see nothing on the forum addressing this.

We are on our way to the SW as we speak in our new 21' for three months, so it will be first of May when we will be able to order the Dicor mechanism to slide back to front.
On my 5.0TA, the table slid side to side. It was too close to the back bench )U shaped dinette) to actually use the back bench. It took me about 40 minutes to switch the sliders so that the table slid front to backl, allowing uncramped use of the back bench as well as easy access to the side benches. I believe making this easy mod would solve the problem of the table contacting the fold down tables, and can be done without purchasing additional parts.
Old 01-27-2016, 06:05 AM   #6

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Just curious as to why you would want a fold up table in the dinette area? I could see if there was no table, but with the table there it seems redundant to me.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 06:14 AM   #7
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
On my 5.0TA, the table slid side to side. It was too close to the back bench )U shaped dinette) to actually use the back bench. It took me about 40 minutes to switch the sliders so that the table slid front to backl, allowing uncramped use of the back bench as well as easy access to the side benches. I believe making this easy mod would solve the problem of the table contacting the fold down tables, and can be done without purchasing additional parts.
I thought about reorienting the sliders too Carl, but I moved them slightly back on the table instead, which gave us another couple of inches of sitting room along the back. Still not convinced that either arrangement is the ideal one, mainly because our dining area is smallish either way. Works for now.
Old 01-27-2016, 07:10 AM   #8

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
I thought about reorienting the sliders too Carl, but I moved them slightly back on the table instead, which gave us another couple of inches of sitting room along the back. Still not convinced that either arrangement is the ideal one, mainly because our dining area is smallish either way. Works for now.
I did it because my wife absolutely hated the side to side. I was not real happy with it either because when we had seen Alf's trailer, his slid front to back. We expected ours to be constructed front to back and were "surprised" on orientation day. Since we have switched it, we are both much happier with the way it slides. I've heard a few people say they like it better side to side. I guess it is mostly personal preference.
Old 01-27-2016, 07:22 AM   #9

Trailer: Escape
I wonder if the Dicor table sliding mechanism can be adapted to the Springfield pedestal ?
Jubal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 07:26 AM   #10

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jubal View Post
I wonder if the Dicor table sliding mechanism can be adapted to the Springfield pedestal ?
I just went and measured the Dicor slider, and you need a plate 8 1/2" wide to fit it on. I imagine even if the top of the Springfield was smaller, a thin aluminum adapter plate would work just fine. The slider itself raises the table top 2" above the top of the pedestal.

Can the Springfield pedestal be infinitely adjusted, or are there set stops like the Dicor?
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 09:00 AM   #11

Trailer: Escape 21 'Toto'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post

Can the Springfield pedestal be infinitely adjusted, or are there set stops like the Dicor?
Ours adjusts to any height.
Old 01-27-2016, 09:18 AM   #12

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
That would work. After replacing the original legs with the Springfield we ended up low and had to raise it. Including ETI's slider mechanism I ended up a total of 1.850" above the top plate to get back to the original height. The Springfield plate is just under 12".
Old 01-27-2016, 10:28 AM   #13

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21, 2016 GMC Canyon Duramax
Sounds like the ideal setup would be a Springfield pedestal with a Dicor slider. This is getting too complicated.
stephen99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 10:54 AM   #14

Trailer: 2015 5.0TA
Excellent suggestion (fix it to slide front to back). I have been 'annoyed' at the side to side sliding and so has my wife. If we have people over for dinner and they sit in the back they have to 'suck it in' when they are seated and eating. Not ideal. I'll fix that! Thanks.
MacMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 11:20 AM   #15

The table hits the fold down when they are open and the fold mechanism when they are closed.
2005 Toyota 4Runner
Old 01-27-2016, 11:21 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greggo View Post
If the table length (not the width) was cut down 4 or 5 inches would it still be a problem?

G
You still need the width to lay on the platform to make a double bed.
2005 Toyota 4Runner
Old 01-27-2016, 11:38 AM   #17

Quote:
Just curious as to why you would want a fold up table in the dinette area? I could see if there was no table, but with the table there it seems redundant to me.
Jim, I get your question and it's a very good one. Our only reason was that if we don't like the table, we can always remove it. Then we have the flip-ups when layin' around or watching TV. You know, it's a little perplexing when the trailer is many miles away being built. We just tried to visualize and plan ahead. Maybe the idea of reorienting the slide front to back might be a good one. The flip-ups were the only questionable option on our part, but everything else is perfect! Hey, in the whole scheme of things, it's not important, right? We LOVE our 21'!
2005 Toyota 4Runner
Old 01-27-2016, 12:08 PM   #18
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Each 'stage' can be adjusted to whatever height you like, until it reaches it's max extension. You just engage the clamp.