U-shaped Dinette - A Further Discussion - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-15-2016, 10:24 AM   #21

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by escape artist View Post
More stuff can be stowed under the table and outa site.
Stowed stuff outta sight is definitely a goal for us.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 12:29 PM   #22

Trailer: Escape 21' 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Stowed stuff outta sight is definitely a goal for us.
If you go to FollowToto.com, you can see, in great detail, with photos, how Doug and Sooz configured their u-shaped dinette with a smaller table for lounging. That is how we are going to do ours when we get home, along with the four way mechanism from Dicor offers. We think... Maybe a larger table stored under mattress. Unlike Jim, we don't entertain much inside, mainly outside, so it would be the rare times that we would use a big table. The smaller table perfect for noshes and great wine and great scotch...(Jim?). Having said that, however, it would be nice to have a bigger table for the rare times! I like the idea of folding sides, as Jim showed in the train photos, but with our experience with Europe train tables,maybe folding under instead of on top, and held there with strong super magnets?? Just my two-cents worth. We only have a couple months experience in our 21' and the u-shape.

Regarding the back cushion, I like Jim's idea with taking the cushion out and using pillows. However, it seems that it would be much easier to temporarily remove the cushion if their were made in two pieces. They could just be laid on the bed.
2005 Toyota 4Runner
Carla Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 01:09 PM   #23

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Here's a post I made about trying out the u-shaped dinette with a filler board in place. There's a photo of the "stooge" table, which is some funky name for the flip-up counters that are in various areas of the trailers, such as the standard one at the end of the kitchen counter.

http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f4...ette-5674.html
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 04:30 PM   #24

Trailer: 2015 21ft Escape "Spirit of the Plains", 2014 GMC Sierra with max tow package
One decision we had a hard time making was the u-shaped dinette. In the end we felt that it would give the back of the trailer a more finished look. The one major conversion to be done is the Springfield pedestal. Loren
Loren & Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 06:59 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carla Jean View Post
If you go to FollowToto.com, you can see, in great detail, with photos, how Doug and Sooz configured their u-shaped dinette with a smaller table for lounging. That is how we are going to do ours when we get home, along with the four way mechanism from Dicor offers. We think... Maybe a larger table stored under mattress. Unlike Jim, we don't entertain much inside, mainly outside, so it would be the rare times that we would use a big table. The smaller table perfect for noshes and great wine and great scotch...(Jim?). Having said that, however, it would be nice to have a bigger table for the rare times! I like the idea of folding sides, as Jim showed in the train photos, but with our experience with Europe train tables,maybe folding under instead of on top, and held there with strong super magnets?? Just my two-cents worth. We only have a couple months experience in our 21' and the u-shape.

Regarding the back cushion, I like Jim's idea with taking the cushion out and using pillows. However, it seems that it would be much easier to temporarily remove the cushion if their were made in two pieces. They could just be laid on the bed.
I have perused their site, when Ross sent me there. I do like the look of the smaller table, but also love the function of a full sized table. As it is, when you sit down on both sides of a full sized table, if folks wanted to lean back against the backrests, they would be hard pressed to reach the table.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Cat Owner View Post
Here's a post I made about trying out the u-shaped dinette with a filler board in place. There's a photo of the "stooge" table, which is some funky name for the flip-up counters that are in various areas of the trailers, such as the standard one at the end of the kitchen counter.

http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f4...ette-5674.html
I see in that first photo, you are turned in to the center. Is there a reason for this. How would Dirk be able to sit? I must consider my dear wife in all decisions lounging. I see mostly sitting with my back to the fridge or dinette to get a better view outside, and just putting my legs along the bench, and that seat is plenty wide.

I have never before heard the flip up table being called a stooge table. Where does that name come from, 'cause like I said, I googled it and got nothing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loren & Cathy View Post
One decision we had a hard time making was the u-shaped dinette. In the end we felt that it would give the back of the trailer a more finished look. The one major conversion to be done is the Springfield pedestal. Loren
As mentioned, I do like the look. While I appreciate good looks in regards to the trailer, function will always be No 1 for me.

----------------------

I am starting to like my idea of making that rear bench as narrow as possible, yet fit in batteries and the other electrical stuff. If I were to forgo the battery box by using AGM's, and with the slope of the rear shell, I could always lift the batteries to where it is wider, closer to the underside of the seat.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 03-15-2016, 07:03 PM   #26

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I'm confused Bob,
Do you have the "U" set up, you mention the back seat sitting is unacceptable but then mention that you have the standard size table?
Not confusing to me... Yes, I have the U dinette, and it has the standard U dinette size table as opposed to the shrunk down versions some folks are coming up with.
Old 03-15-2016, 07:49 PM   #27

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carla Jean View Post
If you go to FollowToto.com, you can see, in great detail, with photos, how Doug and Sooz configured their u-shaped dinette with a smaller table for lounging. That is how we are going to do ours when we get home, along with the four way mechanism from Dicor offers. We think...
Carla, from what I've read here the Dicor seems to have a minimum depth greater than the Toto table which is 17".
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 08:07 PM   #28

Trailer: Escape 21' 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
Carla, from what I've read here the Dicor seems to have a minimum depth greater than the Toto table which is 17".
Thanks. Guess we didn't realize this. Thanks to Jim for opening this up again as this is the big conundrum for most of us. We thought that with all the mods we did on our Casita, we wouldn't follow that route again, but here we are. It's so much making these beautiful Escapes even more beautiful inside, but mostly fuctional to fit our needs. Looking forward to following this thread.
2005 Toyota 4Runner
Carla Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 08:26 PM   #29

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Join the club Carla....it never ends for many. We have two filler boards now and no table; the Toto table will add a benefit for us. Currently we keep the first filler board in place. but it will be nice to be able to raise it up as a table that will be 5" wider...then be able to add a 12" filler board for a full double bed. And all that very easily
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 09:47 PM   #30

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
(snip) I see in that first photo, you are turned in to the center. Is there a reason for this. How would Dirk be able to sit? (snip)

I have never before heard the flip up table being called a stooge table. Where does that name come from, 'cause like I said, I googled it and got nothing.
Dirk's got much shorter legs than I do, so he can fit with his feet against the frig or stove end. I'm turned into the center as I know the cats will want to get right next to me and that way there's room for me and the kitties.

Jim, I thought you've read every single post on this forum, or at least a vast majority of 'em. Donna D is the first person I saw use that term (stooge table) and that was back when I first joined this forum. I had to ask what it meant and I've seen it used multiple times since then by her and some other folks.
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 10:09 PM   #31

Yeah, I do read most, but definitely not all, posts on here. The term stooge table did sound like something I might have heard, I just could not recollect or make sense. Heck, even now, I still can't make sense out of it, now that I know what it is.

There is a tendency to acronyms and odd terms on this forum for some reason. Sometimes cute is okay, other times it is just confusing.

Now calling the support post a stripper pole, I got that one figured out, no problem.
Old 03-15-2016, 11:34 PM   #32

Trailer: 2015 Esc 21. Formerly, Casita LD (16 & 17)
Yeah. Donna D made up that "stooge table" term.

That's my story, anyway.

Pretty sure that's NOT what they were called on my build sheet.
Old 03-16-2016, 12:58 AM   #33

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19
Has anyone tried to put a small (say 18 inch round) table on one of the posts that come with the trailer? That way a person could put in a couple of filler boards and cushions and have a small table to put say a laptop or just a couple of nightcaps?
AKCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 01:43 AM   #34

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKCamper View Post
Has anyone tried to put a small (say 18 inch round) table on one of the posts that come with the trailer? That way a person could put in a couple of filler boards and cushions and have a small table to put say a laptop or just a couple of nightcaps?
Nifty idea ! Then you could have a u dinette or regular dinette by just changing your tables . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 06:13 AM   #35
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary F View Post
Yeah. Donna D made up that "stooge table" term.

That's my story, anyway.

Pretty sure that's NOT what they were called on my build sheet.
I learned the term from Jim (cpaharley). Here's a discussion: http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f4...tml#post122615

Kinda like elephant skin and rat fur. Our very own terms of endearment when discussing all-molded-towables.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 06:52 AM   #36

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21 "LollyPop" June 12, 2017, sold Coleman pop up
I will go ahead and post this here. I noted that in the discussion of the Toto modification of the U shaped dinette in the Escape 21 that the table top is 17.5" deep x 34.5" wide at the far end of the isosceles trapezoid It also mentions that the table rotates because of the Springfield pedestal and slides left to right because that is the standard way the tables are mounted from the Escape factory. Could the smaller table top be mounted on the Springfield pedestal to slide front to back? It seems that might be a more useful adjustment. Thanks.
casejh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 07:36 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
I learned the term from Jim (cpaharley). Here's a discussion: http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f4...tml#post122615

Kinda like elephant skin and rat fur. Our very own terms of endearment when discussing all-molded-towables.
Ah, that thread does ring a bell. Elephant skin and rat fur are both somewhat explanatory in their name. I still don't get the meaning behind "stooge". Would this be the person using it?

I guess where I come from to some degree, working in the renovation industry for many years, is that we come across many customers with their own terminology on our various practices. This can become very confusing, and can lead to errors. What we do is to get them to use the same terms that are used in the industry to avoid any misunderstandings.

Cute is cute, but good communication is much better.

Not that we don't use terms that are slang too.
- a spiker is an air nailer
- a genset is a generator
- a chis-all is a chisel dedicated to wrecking things
- a plumb stick is a level
- etc
Though all do have a descriptor to the names.
Old 03-16-2016, 07:46 AM   #38

Anyhoo, back on track.

I certainly have got a lot more ideas flowing. A few new considerations, and a few that have firmed thoughts I already have. This is a good thing.

What it comes down to at this point, is whether or not to do the U-shaped dinette, and if I do, how narrow I can make the back bench.

Even if I don't go U-shaped, I will likely do at least one filler board at the back, and likely have a table that can be made full width, converting to half width, and not be full depth. Although this takes away a bit of rear storage, it will also give more room for feet and stuff stowed underneath.

Heck, I could build in my own narrow storage. Hmmm..... gears turning again. I could customize it to hold the batteries just perfectly too.

Seeing I won't build the table until after I have the trailer in hand, I am sure once this happens I may see something else come to light, and make further adjustments then.

I also have to figure out how to construct the table top, but that is a topic for another thread.