U-shaped Dinette - A Further Discussion - Page 4 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 03-15-2016, 11:09 PM   #31

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Yeah, I do read most, but definitely not all, posts on here. The term stooge table did sound like something I might have heard, I just could not recollect or make sense. Heck, even now, I still can't make sense out of it, now that I know what it is.

There is a tendency to acronyms and odd terms on this forum for some reason. Sometimes cute is okay, other times it is just confusing.

Now calling the support post a stripper pole, I got that one figured out, no problem.

“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 12:34 AM   #32

Trailer: 2015 Esc 21. Formerly, Casita LD (16 & 17)
Yeah. Donna D made up that "stooge table" term.

That's my story, anyway.

Pretty sure that's NOT what they were called on my build sheet.

Old 03-16-2016, 01:58 AM   #33

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19
Has anyone tried to put a small (say 18 inch round) table on one of the posts that come with the trailer? That way a person could put in a couple of filler boards and cushions and have a small table to put say a laptop or just a couple of nightcaps?
AKCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 02:43 AM   #34

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKCamper View Post
Has anyone tried to put a small (say 18 inch round) table on one of the posts that come with the trailer? That way a person could put in a couple of filler boards and cushions and have a small table to put say a laptop or just a couple of nightcaps?
Nifty idea ! Then you could have a u dinette or regular dinette by just changing your tables . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 07:13 AM   #35
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary F View Post
Yeah. Donna D made up that "stooge table" term.

That's my story, anyway.

Pretty sure that's NOT what they were called on my build sheet.
I learned the term from Jim (cpaharley). Here's a discussion: Flip-up tables in dinette

Kinda like elephant skin and rat fur. Our very own terms of endearment when discussing all-molded-towables.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 07:52 AM   #36

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21 "LollyPop", sold Coleman pop up
I will go ahead and post this here. I noted that in the discussion of the Toto modification of the U shaped dinette in the Escape 21 that the table top is 17.5" deep x 34.5" wide at the far end of the isosceles trapezoid It also mentions that the table rotates because of the Springfield pedestal and slides left to right because that is the standard way the tables are mounted from the Escape factory. Could the smaller table top be mounted on the Springfield pedestal to slide front to back? It seems that might be a more useful adjustment. Thanks.
casejh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 08:36 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
I learned the term from Jim (cpaharley). Here's a discussion: Flip-up tables in dinette

Kinda like elephant skin and rat fur. Our very own terms of endearment when discussing all-molded-towables.
Ah, that thread does ring a bell. Elephant skin and rat fur are both somewhat explanatory in their name. I still don't get the meaning behind "stooge". Would this be the person using it?

I guess where I come from to some degree, working in the renovation industry for many years, is that we come across many customers with their own terminology on our various practices. This can become very confusing, and can lead to errors. What we do is to get them to use the same terms that are used in the industry to avoid any misunderstandings.

Cute is cute, but good communication is much better.

Not that we don't use terms that are slang too.
- a spiker is an air nailer
- a genset is a generator
- a chis-all is a chisel dedicated to wrecking things
- a plumb stick is a level
- etc
Though all do have a descriptor to the names.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 03-16-2016, 08:46 AM   #38

Anyhoo, back on track.

I certainly have got a lot more ideas flowing. A few new considerations, and a few that have firmed thoughts I already have. This is a good thing.

What it comes down to at this point, is whether or not to do the U-shaped dinette, and if I do, how narrow I can make the back bench.

Even if I don't go U-shaped, I will likely do at least one filler board at the back, and likely have a table that can be made full width, converting to half width, and not be full depth. Although this takes away a bit of rear storage, it will also give more room for feet and stuff stowed underneath.

Heck, I could build in my own narrow storage. Hmmm..... gears turning again. I could customize it to hold the batteries just perfectly too.

Seeing I won't build the table until after I have the trailer in hand, I am sure once this happens I may see something else come to light, and make further adjustments then.

I also have to figure out how to construct the table top, but that is a topic for another thread.