U shaped dinette in a 17B - yea or nay - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 11-01-2016, 09:18 AM   #1

Trailer: Escape 17B - Sept 2017
U shaped dinette in a 17B - yea or nay

Was just reading the comments on the thread "u-shape dinette in 19". This is one of the most difficult of the decisions I am mulling over.... I see from the "19" comments that the side benches are narrower than the standard configuration - is that the case in the 17B? I am guess yes but am curious as to why?

17B folks - why did you choose or not choose the U-shape dinette??
parfsten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 11:30 AM   #2

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Where would you put a U-shape dinette in a 17B?
This is the front dinette, as normally set up with table in our trailer. The rear dinette is our bed.
You could remove the table at the rear, but where you going to keep it, and what would you gain?
Attached Thumbnails
Charly.jpg  
Old 11-01-2016, 01:01 PM   #3
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
A bed maybe, but not a U-shaped dinette. Escape will convert it to a permanent bed for a fee, which results in a bed that's narrow on one end and wide on the other, and requires the removal of the wardrobe - ok for some folks I guess. That way, you can convert the dinette in the rear (normally used for a bed) into a U-shaped dinette.

EDIT: If you are a solo camper, you might be able to have Escape turn the front dinette into a permanent bed without deleting the wardrobe - a single narrow bed. Perhaps a reasonable option.
Attached Thumbnails
17EscapeFloorPlanB2016-1.png  
Old 11-01-2016, 05:17 PM   #4

Trailer: Escape 17B - Sept 2017
Yes, mostly I am a solo camper. I will be using the front dinette as a bed and the back as a lounge area with table as needed. I want the option of converting to a bed as needed - the smaller table of the u-dinette will fit under the front bed set-up. I am curious to know if the benches in the U-dinette are narrower... anyone know??
parfsten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 05:28 PM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by parfsten View Post
Yes, mostly I am a solo camper. I will be using the front dinette as a bed and the back as a lounge area with table as needed. I want the option of converting to a bed as needed - the smaller table of the u-dinette will fit under the front bed set-up. I am curious to know if the benches in the U-dinette are narrower... anyone know??
OK, now I see. You want to convert the REAR dinette to a U-shape, and sleep up front. Sure, why not? Only option you'd have to order is the U-shape. Everything else is stock.
Old 11-01-2016, 05:39 PM   #6

I still can't see any advantage of a U-shape dinette at the rear of a 17B. For a short time we converted the bed to dinette during the day. Generally would sit leaning against the corners where the rear and side walls meet, resting an arm on the dinette table, within easy reach of a coffee mug or a beer.
How do you imagine you are going to use the bottom of the U? If somebody sits there, where are they going to put their feet?
I believe the 17 is four inches narrower than the 19, making for a wider aisle. This picture of storage under the dinette/bed should give you an idea of the space you are looking at. Adding a bench at the back will only make it smaller.
Attached Thumbnails
Storage.jpg  
Old 11-01-2016, 05:54 PM   #7
Site Team

How deep is that floor area Glenn? The specs say the dinette/bed area is 52" deep. If you added a bench, you're down to about 36", but with the slight taper in along the back of the trailer, you might lose 4" of that. So, roughly 32"?
Old 11-01-2016, 06:23 PM   #8

From the edge of the raised floor to the back wall ( which is sloped ) is 42 inches. I have stuff piled on the bed/dinette right now and it's pouring rain, or I could open it up and take a pic. In any event it's not a lot of room.
I see that ETI offers U-dinette in the 17' on their site. All I know is I wouldn't get it. Need the table to play cards, for my laptop, etc.
Old 11-01-2016, 06:38 PM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
From the edge of the raised floor to the back wall ( which is sloped ) is 42 inches. I have stuff piled on the bed/dinette right now and it's pouring rain, or I could open it up and take a pic. In any event it's not a lot of room.
I see that ETI offers U-dinette in the 17' on their site. All I know is I wouldn't get it. Need the table to play cards, for my laptop, etc.
Ok, so 42" minus the depth of the bench. Maybe 26" max. Sure sounds small.
Old 11-01-2016, 08:47 PM   #10

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
How are the specs 52" if you are only getting 42"?
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 08:53 PM   #11

The back wall slopes toward the front. I measured from the lip to the back wall. It is what it is. That slope would be contained within any bench along the back wall, so I don't know how significant it is.
No matter, I'm still trying to understand what advantage is gained with a U-shape dinette, especially in such a small space.
Old 11-02-2016, 11:25 AM   #12

Trailer: 2012 17B
I like to lounge with my legs up, which the U shaped configuration allows. I dont even have the table in my Escape, its stored. I Use stooge tables for coffee and meals. This allows lots more room for my pets to be up with me, too. As Donna says, YMMV.
Sally P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 03:49 PM   #13

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
How about this: The stock table has a folding center leg attached to the table. The back of the table is attached, but easily removeable from the back wall of the 17. As others have said, the dinette is not so large that you would gain much from a center portion making it a U. So, just go with the stock dinette, and remove the table.

Escape Trailer Owners Community - dfandrews's Album: 17A Final Build Photos - Picture

You use the filler piece, that's normally in front of the table when folded down for use as the stock bed, up against the back wall, and add a cushion, pillow, etc.

Or, you could add an upholstered piece that spans across at the back. Make it as wide or narrow as is comfortable.
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 06:32 PM   #14

Trailer: 2014 Escape 17B
Like your way of thinking, great practical solution without being tied to a permanent arrangement which you may regret later when you start to use it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfandrews View Post
How about this: The stock table has a folding center leg attached to the table. The back of the table is attached, but easily removeable from the back wall of the 17. As others have said, the dinette is not so large that you would gain much from a center portion making it a U. So, just go with the stock dinette, and remove the table.

Escape Trailer Owners Community - dfandrews's Album: 17A Final Build Photos - Picture

You use the filler piece, that's normally in front of the table when folded down for use as the stock bed, up against the back wall, and add a cushion, pillow, etc.

Or, you could add an upholstered piece that spans across at the back. Make it as wide or narrow as is comfortable.
2019 KC the Beagle
David H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 07:32 PM   #15

Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014
Don's suggestion is very nice, we have the hinged table as I believe he is referring to . It does need to be planned ahead as wood blocks are molded in to the wall during the build process. The blocks are necessary to support the table.
fudge_brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 09:10 AM   #16

Trailer: 17B Picked up 4/19/16
Quote:
Originally Posted by parfsten View Post
Was just reading the comments on the thread "u-shape dinette in 19". This is one of the most difficult of the decisions I am mulling over.... I see from the "19" comments that the side benches are narrower than the standard configuration - is that the case in the 17B? I am guess yes but am curious as to why?

17B folks - why did you choose or not choose the U-shape dinette??
We ordered the U-shaped dinette in the rear our 17B. We had ETI not mount the table or the floor bracket, but all parts were in the trailer when we picked up so they could be mounted in the future.

There is one large cushion across the back of the trailer and two small cushions on the side. These three cushions and the table and hardware reside in a closet at home and could be used in the future.

The bed is made by using slats of one by six that I cut to fit. These slats go under the passenger side bench when not in use.

This setup may not be for everyone but works well for the two of us, and makes the trailer seem more open and spacious. I will attempt to attach a picture.

Good Luck
Otter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 09:16 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
Ok, so 42" minus the depth of the bench. Maybe 26" max. Sure sounds small.
The floor measures 31 inches front to back and 27 inches wide.
Old 11-03-2016, 09:21 AM   #18

U-shaped dinette 17B

This is the first time I have tried to load a picture.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1036.JPG  
Old 11-03-2016, 09:25 AM   #19

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otter View Post
This is the first time I have tried to load a picture.
Looks good. Nice pillow collection.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 09:51 AM   #20

Trailer: Escape Wanna Be
That is so pretty and comfortable looking!
vanwinkp is offline   Reply With Quote