Umbra Hooks - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 06-24-2015, 09:28 PM   #21

Trailer: Escape 19, 2018: Last Best Escape
We've successfully used VHB tape on nearly everything in the Escape. In 4+ years of camping, the tape has both held & not harmed or pulled off the laminate covering. The Command tape may work but not for heavier items. Been there & tried that, 4 years ago.

Honda Pilot 2019
ksitte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 09:42 PM   #22

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Klaus, are you actually putting items such as a coat? Seems someone has pulled the wall covering which I thought was a papery stuff? I guess they did not mean the laminate. Maybe, we will go with the VHB then on everything since it has worked for years for you.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 09:55 PM   #23

If I could figure out how to post a pic from my iPhone on Taptalk, I'd would show you what's on one of our 5-hook Umbras now. Instead, I'll describe: 3 towels, 2 rain jackets, 1 LL Bean medium toiletry bag, 2 hoodies and 2 hats. Still holing well.

Honda Pilot 2019
Old 06-24-2015, 10:00 PM   #24
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Umbra Hooks

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksitte View Post
If I could figure out how to post a pic from my iPhone on Taptalk, I'd would show you what's on one of our 5-hook Umbras now.

Click the "+" sign just to the left of the text window then click on the icon that looks like a mountain. From there you can choose and upload a photo.
Old 06-24-2015, 10:03 PM   #25

Trailer: 2007 17
So I will need to chop one hook off because umbra is 20in long.
Groma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 10:04 PM   #26

Quote:
If I could figure out how to post a pic from my iPhone on Taptalk, I'd would show you what's on one of our 5-hook Umbras now. Instead, I'll describe: 3 towels, 2 rain jackets, 1 LL Bean medium toiletry bag, 2 hoodies and 2 hats. Still holing well.
That is obviously a lot!! Thank you.
Old 06-24-2015, 11:21 PM   #27

Thanks, Robert! I loaded a few more things on the hooks just for kicks. Tried to get all 3 5-hook sets in the pic

Honda Pilot 2019
Old 06-24-2015, 11:24 PM   #28

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floating Cloud View Post
Also may try the backing that comes with Command hooks as there is extra in a package.
You can also buy just the strips separately (as extras to re-use Command hooks, or for this sort of application).
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 11:49 PM   #29

Quote:
Thanks, Robert! I loaded a few more things on the hooks just for kicks. Tried to get all 3 5-hook sets in the pic
Klaus, that definitely convinces me! I have ordered the VHB tape. The hooks we have themselves weigh a good bit and then add all of that to them. Thank you so much!

Thanks, Brian, did not see the separate strips and will look for those next time for little light items.
Old 06-25-2015, 12:38 AM   #30
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Quote:
Klaus, are you actually putting items such as a coat? Seems someone has pulled the wall covering which I thought was a papery stuff? I guess they did not mean the laminate. Maybe, we will go with the VHB then on everything since it has worked for years for you.
I use a lot of VHB tapes in my products; my favorite is 3M RP45, which is also great for bath and outside. I use the 0.045 thick version so it can be slit with a thin knife if something needs to be removed. If you let it fully cure (72 hours) you cannot peel it off. Data sheet is here:

Â*Â*3M™ VHB™ Tape RP45

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 12:48 AM   #31

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
3M Command Hooks are intended that you can move or remove them without damaging the wall surface. VHB tape is designed to be extremely difficult to remove without damaging the surface.
The Command Hooks are designed to hold up to 5 lbs. I have one 5 lb and several 3 lb. hooks.
It's a major benefit to be able to change your mind when you realize you don't want your walls covered in clothing.
Attached Thumbnails
3M hooks and check list.jpg  
Old 06-25-2015, 01:19 AM   #32

Glenn, I am thinking about that with regard to the 21' layout. We have the rod in the closet as you do and use it for jackets and shirts, however, I expect we might want to hang some things that are wet in the bathroom and could use some hooks there for heavy items and even a shelf. We returned a shelf and will look for another. We have that wall that also backs the bedroom reinforced for very heavy items.

Thinking on the 21' of putting a couple of hooks on the unseen bed wall and possibly a shelf there also, as well as hooks for the area between door and bath, at the dinette which would also be unseen from the door and really for smaller items, and maybe something in the kitchen such as a sturdy basket that could take a bunch of cups or spices. Don't want glass spice bottles falling down. We take very little glass or breakables but do have a few items.

We have no Umbras, only individual hooks, and they will all be essentially hidden when looking from the door other than maybe the one near bath, which I don't mind having seen as it's a bird! The main concern is that we have been in so much wet weather and expect to have heavy wet towels and clothes when we don't get them in before rain. Yes, we use bath micro towels but have other smaller ones, and when wet, the weight of what is on our clothesline or on us can be considerable. We do have some Command hooks.

Charlie, glad you mentioned 72 hours and we will go by that. I was thinking 24. May want to get something from you after we bring the Escape home.
Old 06-25-2015, 01:38 AM   #33

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
3M has a line of Command Hooks for use in wet areas like showers. I used the regular hooks in the show for washcloth etc. and they still stick.
I put one hook on the wall next to the bed ( head end ) with the intention of using it to hang my clothes when turning in. Found that even a shirt hangs down too far and I get entangled while thrashing in the night. Now, I just use it to hang a small flashlight.
Being able to change your mind is a huge bonus. I'm still trying new storage ideas after seven years.

Spice racks can be decorative, but spices are supposed to be stored in a cool, dark place. I keep mine in the original container ( as in buy small, fresh amounts ), which is already labeled.
Old 06-25-2015, 06:49 AM   #34

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19' #2
Quote:
You did not have that wall reinforced, did you? Do they just tap on the wall to see where a stud is or you put those up?
I did have that wall reinforced so it was easy for me but can be screwed to a wall stud.
Old 06-25-2015, 07:44 AM   #35
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
3M has a line of Command Hooks for use in wet areas like showers. I used the regular hooks in the show for washcloth etc. and they still stick.
We use these too, for the soap dish, squeegee holder, and a small shaving mirror. They work very well.

Quote:
Spice racks can be decorative, but spices are supposed to be stored in a cool, dark place. I keep mine in the original container ( as in buy small, fresh amounts ), which is already labeled.

Same here. We store spices in a small box in a lower cabinet. Love the look of the shiny chrome and wire mesh racks we've seen that would mount high on the cabinet face, but that's the last place you should store spices.
Old 06-25-2015, 11:12 AM   #36

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kountrykamper View Post
I did have that wall reinforced so it was easy for me but can be screwed to a wall stud.
Our wall is reenforced there too and I pre drilled and added screws to hanger . For all hangers in the trailer they are screwed in . The only place we have used 3 m is for a plastic clock and a hook by door to put rod for awning . Will put up pics later for hangers for heavier items . We got every wall that we could reenforced . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 11:44 PM   #37

Quote:
I put one hook on the wall next to the bed ( head end ) with the intention of using it to hang my clothes when turning in. Found that even a shirt hangs down too far and I get entangled while thrashing in the night. Now, I just use it to hang a small flashlight.
Being able to change your mind is a huge bonus. I'm still trying new storage ideas after seven years.

When I finish using the spice in a glass bottle, I wash it and then transfer a little spice from a new bottle. That way we only have enough in there for a few trips. I figure any container I use that holds the bottles will keep them covered enough as it is only the bottom area that matters.

If you're going to thrash around, you'll knock the hooks off of the wall anyway. . Yes, we need a place to hang such clothes also. Can't have too many hooks. Have quite a few and still looking for more.