Umbra Hooks in Escape 19 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 10-14-2014, 01:31 AM   #1

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19
Umbra Hooks in Escape 19

Can anyone post pictures showing where they placed Umbra hooks in their Escape 19?
Dave
Dave Whiting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 02:31 AM   #2

No pic handy but,

One above the thermostat over the bed ( fridge wall) and one on the outside bathroom wall I would also add one on the back of the bathroom wall next to the bench seat at the front. We had to trim one down one hook size less.
Dog as Navigator
DonM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 09:37 AM   #3

Trailer: 2013 19' Escape
Ordered ours off of Amazon and had them sent to ETI. They installed them in about 15 minutes during our orientation. We had them placed here and just around the corner to the right over the end of the dinette seat. Our wardrobe closet was somewhat limited after we had two drawers put in so the Umbra hooks make up the difference for the few items that we need to hang. Love em.
Attached Thumbnails
Escape trailer pix 018.jpg   Escape trailer pix 015.jpg  
lefttee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 11:37 PM   #4

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19
Thanks so much for the posts and photos. I have ordered an 8 hook Umbra flip hook today and will have it cut into two 4 hook sections and installed by ETI when picking up the trailer. Will instal one section on the wall beside the door as above and another around the corner.

dave
Dave Whiting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 01:00 PM   #5

Trailer: 2012 Escape 19 "Tortuga"
Quote:
Originally Posted by lefttee View Post
Ordered ours off of Amazon and had them sent to ETI. They installed them in about 15 minutes during our orientation. We had them placed here and just around the corner to the right over the end of the dinette seat. Our wardrobe closet was somewhat limited after we had two drawers put in so the Umbra hooks make up the difference for the few items that we need to hang. Love em.
do you know how these were installed? I'm a little nervous about drilling in this area and it would seem stick-on might be the ticket?

steve
flatpick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 01:20 PM   #6

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Quote:
Originally Posted by flatpick View Post
do you know how these were installed? I'm a little nervous about drilling in this area and it would seem stick-on might be the ticket?

steve
Steve, we already have one near the door on our 17B and just bought another to put in about that same spot. I think I can hit a wood framing piece it I put it all the way up at the top by the trim and angle to screws upward. The 19 may be different, but it does not feel like there is a framing piece on ours where that left side is attached in our 17B. I've also thought of using the adhesive from 3M Command hooks and attaching with those.

Baglo has been brave and a Command hook on the wood grain vinyl and pulled it off without damage.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 01:57 PM   #7

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
I spent the first year using my trailer with Command hooks, moving them around until I found the locations that worked for me. After that, I installed Umbra hooks. I used a combination of screws & glue. Still there after 2 1/2 more years.

If you do it yourself, and need to cut one it fit, be aware that there is a steel wire hinge pin that runs the length of the unit - cost me a power miter box saw blade.
Old 10-15-2014, 02:17 PM   #8

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
If you do it yourself, and need to cut one it fit, be aware that there is a steel wire hinge pin that runs the length of the unit - cost me a power miter box saw blade.
Yep - Jon save my radial arm saw blade with that warning! I owe him a good brew someday.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
Old 10-15-2014, 04:48 PM   #9

perfecto. I will prolly use very short wood screws AND Command double stick tape. and I won't be cutting thru any steel, think I'll just buy the size I need! ;-)

steve
Old 10-21-2014, 06:19 PM   #10

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Just installed my no-umbra.
Attached Thumbnails
coathang2.jpg  
Old 10-21-2014, 06:32 PM   #11

nice! so that's just small wood screws holding 'er in place? I'm thinking the ply is strong enough without hitting a backing frame piece?

steve
Old 10-21-2014, 08:07 PM   #12

No way that ply is strong enough. Don't even think about it... its surely an eighth of an inch thick, if that.

You must tap lightly along with a hammer until the sound tells you there's no hollow and a frame cross piece is behind the panel to screw into. Biggest worry is using too long a screw and popping through the bathroom shell, especially when drilling tiny pilot holes.

Thought about glue, but glue destroys the finish if you ever need to take the thing down. Thought about velcro but I doubt it will have long life and besides, you are still using glue. If I ever need to take this rack down I can always cover the tiny screw holes with putty or maybe better, the same brown buttons the factory uses.

The wood's a scrap cherry piece. Four coats of Deft clear semi-gloss brushing lacquer, my favorite cabinet finish.
Old 10-21-2014, 08:25 PM   #13

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
Myron,

Nice work, and a lovely piece of cherry...

A question regarding the finish: I've never used a lacquer, always preferred either oil or polyurethane. I believe in the days gone by, lacquers would go white when exposed to water. Is that still true? Are you concerned a wet jacket might leave a mark, or does it take a lot more water than that to leave a mark?

2013 Escape 19 ("The Dog House") , 2018 Ford F150
dbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 08:32 PM   #14

Nice looking piece Myron. The 19 must have more framing members in that bathroom wall than the 17. I don't think I'd hit any framing on my 17 where you found it on yours Myron. On the 17 I think if I put it all the way to the top I can angle the screws up to hit the framing piece along the top -- at least according to my tap tapping..

Old 10-21-2014, 09:02 PM   #15

got it! thanks!

steve
Old 10-21-2014, 09:46 PM   #16
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbailey View Post
Myron,

Nice work, and a lovely piece of cherry...

A question regarding the finish: I've never used a lacquer, always preferred either oil or polyurethane. I believe in the days gone by, lacquers would go white when exposed to water. Is that still true? Are you concerned a wet jacket might leave a mark, or does it take a lot more water than that to leave a mark?
No, Deft CWF is water resistant. In a former life I worked at a paint store and we sold a lot of it. One bar owner even used it to refinish a bar top. Good stuff.
Old 10-21-2014, 10:49 PM   #17

Trailer: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by flatpick View Post
nice! so that's just small wood screws holding 'er in place? I'm thinking the ply is strong enough without hitting a backing frame piece?

steve
Sometimes you can find the framing pieces behind the ply by looking for a row of the little staples ETI uses to tack on the ply...scan across the surface at a steep angle and you might pick them up.....
Sold both 7/22
FMLNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 07:27 AM   #18

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
I too put up a chrome coat hook bar where Myron did ages ago. A great spot for one. I had looked at the Umbra, but found them too fiddly, preferring to have my hook at the ready, and not folded away.

I think all the bathrooms will have a framing member along the top of the wall to attach to.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 09:08 AM   #19

For cabinets or tables I apply 6 coats. No water worries, like Rbryan sez, and since its lacquer each coat dries fast enough (almost too fast) to finish a job in a day. The really great thing about that is unlike polyurethane wood doesn't look coated, and it's dry before the bugs and the dust realize it.
Old 10-22-2014, 09:14 AM   #20

Trailer: 2018 Airstream Flying Cloud (Escape 19 & 5.0 previously)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
Just installed my no-umbra.
Myron,

I've enjoyed and followed your posts for quite sometime. Did I miss one where you apparently lowered your bathroom door to allow for better venting?

- Rich
Zardoz is offline   Reply With Quote