Under-bed storage area in 21' - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 06-27-2017, 12:14 PM   #1

Trailer: 2010 EggCamper (#083); 2017 Escape 21 (#053); 2016 F-150 5.0L FX4
Under-bed storage area in 21'

We are still considering various modifications to optimize utilization of the very large storage space under the permanent bed in our 2017 21' (there have already been some clever ideas scattered around in various previous threads). In the mean time, I didn't want my camp set-up stuff sliding too far away from the front outside hatch door, and my wife didn't want her house-keeping and shoe-storage stuff sliding too far from the interior access door at the foot of the bed. So at least temporarily, I added a simple, short 1" x 4" pine board barrier attached to a couple of the existing upright brace posts and anchored in a couple places to the floor. To those of you who have good ideas for customizing/optimizing that large storage space, this might be a good thread to pull those all together.
Attached Thumbnails
DSC09443.jpg  
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 01:40 PM   #2

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
I didn't do too much to that area as I didn't want to have to shove the bed up all the time. I think some have installed some sort of strut/lift or used a stick to hold the opening up. I decided early on that area wouldn't be utilized to the max due to lifting the bed.

I did get a shoe box installed by RV Widgets which I absolutely love. Photos attached of it.

At one time Charlie and I were discussing him putting a pull out drawer under the other part of the bed, but I decided not to go that route. Right now I have my broom shoved through the standard door (got an extra one added in anticipation of the shoe box). I can put my TV tray through the door, but usually it's on top of the bed when traveling. It just barely fits through the door so it's easier not to put in in there.
Attached Thumbnails
DSC05408.jpg   DSC05409.jpg  
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 02:17 PM   #3

Trailer: 2017-21' Escape (sold) Casita 17' (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Cat Owner View Post
I didn't do too much to that area as I didn't want to have to shove the bed up all the time. I think some have installed some sort of strut/lift or used a stick to hold the opening up. I decided early on that area wouldn't be utilized to the max due to lifting the bed.

I did get a shoe box installed by RV Widgets which I absolutely love. Photos attached of it.

At one time Charlie and I were discussing him putting a pull out drawer under the other part of the bed, but I decided not to go that route. Right now I have my broom shoved through the standard door (got an extra one added in anticipation of the shoe box). I can put my TV tray through the door, but usually it's on top of the bed when traveling. It just barely fits through the door so it's easier not to put in in there.
Oh i wish we had that.... at the last minute i foolishly deleted the wood door there, from ETI...and now wish I hadn't.

yeah that would be a great area for shoes...

I hate to think the cost of having ETI mail us a door, and I dont know how hard it would be to cut away the wood, and install it there

has anyone done it?

any guidance?

I'dbe happy with just the wood door..... i wear size 12 shoes, and hiking boots likely might not fit in a slider... i'd just like to have easy access to the space there. Be able to jam lots of shoes in....

thanks

john
Losangeles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 02:28 PM   #4

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
The dividers in the shoe box can be adjusted so it would probably fit your size 12 (dang!!) arranged differently than mine. They fit my size 11, which is a 9 in men's.

Charlie gives you the dividers loose so you can figure out where to put them once you shove some shoes in there as a test.

Well, if Reace is cutting into the cubby storage for the hose fix, I'm sure you could do the same for the bed area. Get some trim - maybe ETI will have some matching trim they can sell ya. I'm sure they would ship the door to ya.

Take photos!

Yeah, I really like that shoe box. I sit there as soon as I come in, take off my shoes and put my slippers on. Slippers come out and shoes go in the same spot. Nothing out on the floor for me to trip over.

I'll have to yell at (oh, I mean train) Dirk to put his shoes in there as he's used to flinging his all over the place. Won't work in the trailer.
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 02:35 PM   #5

Trailer: 2010 EggCamper (#083); 2017 Escape 21 (#053); 2016 F-150 5.0L FX4
While Reace was here, I asked him what it would take to add that extra door under the bed. He said it would be really easy to do (but then he's a professional at this). All I'd need to do is cut the hole and frame it for mounting the hinges and latch (I'm guessing that would take him less than 10 minutes), and he could ship the door and hardware for us to install. I didn't ask the price, but we'll probably keep considering it as we continue to think it would be handy.
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 03:53 PM   #6

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
If you plan ahead you can always ask a fellow Escapee who you may run into and who attends the rally in Osoyoos or even a new owner that is going to Chilliwack to bring back your door. I brought back some items I picked up in Osoyoos for other owners I'll see in my travels, sort of like networking. They are also available in Lowes and HomeDepot and the bed door is not near the others so a mismatched may not show.