Under Step Storage 5.0 TA - Page 5 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 11-15-2016, 07:21 PM   #41

Trailer: 2015 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
With some help from Chris I just finished rebuilding the top step on my 2012. More work then I envisioned but I'm happy with how it came out. Carpet from HD matches fairly well, will redo the other 2 steps when we get back in the spring. Now for shrinking down the table.
looks good Bob, table should be easy after the top step

Old 11-15-2016, 07:22 PM   #42
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
I have better luck buying wood at HD than I do at Lowes. For whatever reason, during the wet months HD wood is dry and ready to be used. Stuff I buy at Lowes I need to leave in the garage for weeks and even then sometimes it warps out of shape.

My daughter sells fertilizer at HD and that's no bull...

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 07:24 PM   #43

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
For almost type of product, there is an ideal place to find the best products and selection, and it's not a broad-line retailer. So, do you buy that type of product often enough to know where to get it? For most things, for most people, no.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
Around here I've found HD pretty useless. You wander around for several minutes, can't find the item, ask a clerk, they look for several minutes, then come to find out they don't have it. Then you go to Ace Hardware or even Lowes, they have it, it's where you expected it to be, and you're set.
I sympathize with the Home Depot experience, but I find it no different at Lowes. There are no Ace Hardware stores here except in small towns, because they can't compete with the big stores. The equivalent here to what you might find at Ace Hardware is probably Home Hardware... but I wouldn't buy specialty wood at Home Hardware - that's what Windsor Plywood is for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
The BORG (Big Orange Retail Giant for those still wondering) has limitations, but does have some good product, no different than Lowes or Rona.
... or Totem. I agree.

Quote:
In fact, I have taken customers aside after cringing hearing what the associate gave them for advice.
Essentially the same here, although more commonly I've explained something that the associate simply didn't know about, rather than correcting bad advice... especially in hardware (fasteners).
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 07:31 PM   #44

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
... or Totem. I agree.
There is no more Totem. Rona bought them out a few years ago. While I still do shop there, and buy most of my framing materials there, they are nowhere near as good of company as they were before.

Though Rona was taken over by Lowe's Canada earlier this year, but is still flying the Rona banner for now.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 09:49 PM   #45

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
There is no more Totem. Rona bought them out a few years ago. While I still do shop there, and buy most of my framing materials there, they are nowhere near as good of company as they were before.

Though Rona was taken over by Lowe's Canada earlier this year, but is still flying the Rona banner for now.
Ah, right - I forgot about that. The Totem store has a Rona sign now, but I go there so rarely I hadn't noticed any meaningful change.

Home Depot bought Aikenhead's, Rona bought Revestoke, Lowes bought Rona - they're all just different labels for the same thing.

I don't know if the Lowes purchase of Rona has had much effect, as I rarely go to either. It's hard to believe that there is difference between Rona/Lowes and Home Depot, since they are doing the same thing in the same market with the same suppliers.

Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote