Under Step Storage 5.0 TA - Page 4 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 06-22-2018, 07:27 PM   #61

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
It's possible the flex I feel is the tread, maybe I just need to lose weight.
LOL. So could many of us.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 02:45 PM   #62

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
I want to thank all who went before me for the insight on opening up the top step of the 5.0. Also, special thanks to those I sent PM's to for their help.

This was a huge undertaking from the very first step of getting (destroying) that carpet off. But worth the effort. My original intended use was for the deep storage intending to use for lawn chairs or something needing the depth. But making it into a shelf for the storage of our rear seat extension worked out to be best use for us. For the seat extension see posts 605 and 606 of
https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...tml#post330457
Click image for larger version

Name:	Building the Top Step !!removing carpetinga.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	399.4 KB
ID:	46064

Name:	CarpetAfterRemoval.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	225.8 KB
ID:	46060

Name:	TopStepAlmostFinished.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	196.7 KB
ID:	46061

Name:	Top StepFinishedClosed.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	245.5 KB
ID:	46062

Name:	Dinette Bench Extension Storage.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	237.3 KB
ID:	46063
Old 04-09-2020, 04:21 PM   #63

Trailer: 5.0 TA #9
Your step modification looks great.

I did a similar one for mine. I store my portable solar panel in that space, along with a collapsible shower tent.
sleepy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 05:46 PM   #64

Trailer: 2017 50 TA, 2016 F150, 2.7 Ecoboost
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronn View Post
I want to thank all who went before me for the insight on opening up the top step of the 5.0. Also, special thanks to those I sent PM's to for their help.

This was a huge undertaking from the very first step of getting (destroying) that carpet off. But worth the effort. My original intended use was for the deep storage intending to use for lawn chairs or something needing the depth. But making it into a shelf for the storage of our rear seat extension worked out to be best use for us. For the seat extension see posts 605 and 606 of
https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...tml#post330457
Attachment 46064

Attachment 46060

Attachment 46061
Attachment 46062

Attachment 46063
🤔You could still go fo the deep storage, hang your seat extension vertically against the back.
Chotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 06:49 PM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotch View Post
🤔You could still go fo the deep storage, hang your seat extension vertically against the back.
Yes, that's a great idea Cliff.

At this point my folding chairs are about an inch too high for the area, but once we get out with the trailer I may find that I have something else that'll work in that space and I will want to incorporate your idea. Thanks
Old 04-10-2020, 05:24 AM   #66

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
With a number of people modifying the third step to create additional storage, perhaps ETI should consider building the 5.0TA’s third step hinged with a separation between it and the “floor” in front of the wardrobe closet. That would allow for so-called “deep storage” toward the rear of the second step or owner installation of a “floor” on between the top of the second step and the bottom of the third, depending on the owner’s preference. I personally would not go through all the work required to complete this mod for the storage space gained; kudos to those who have. But I did utilize the space under the third step for installation of a 12v light to illuminate the second step’s storage area, with a one of the struts used in the cabinets to hold the step open while accessing its contents. The light is controlled by a normally-on plunge switch that cuts power when the step is down. It sure would have been easier to install the light and wiring working above with visibility rather than from below and working by feel. I could be wrong, but I wouldn’t think constructing the third step that way would cause much of a production slowdown.
Old 04-10-2020, 06:28 AM   #67

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
When Reace was asked about it, he said the step is built solid for a reason, it's needed for structural strength. Those of us who modified it at the time did so knowing this.

FWIW, I did mine 3 or 4 years ago and can see no ill effects, at least none I can see.
Old 04-10-2020, 06:58 AM   #68

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
So called distancing!!!

Hi: All... FWIW... The more items stored ahead of the axles the heavier the pin weight. I used to travel w/ our heavy 0grav's on a tarp on the bed. Now I put down the table/bed and store them there. IMO our 5.0TA tows better with a full fresh water tank too!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 07:47 AM   #69

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by escape artist View Post
Hi: All... FWIW... The more items stored ahead of the axles the heavier the pin weight. I used to travel w/ our heavy 0grav's on a tarp on the bed. Now I put down the table/bed and store them there. IMO our 5.0TA tows better with a full fresh water tank too!!! Alf
A Cargo Bin like I built on the rear end will bring more weight behind the axles you know. Have at 'er.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 08:26 AM   #70

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
LOL. So could many of us.
Hi: Jim Bennett... I have some loose wait that seems to settle in the left front seat!!! Alf
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 10:40 AM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
When Reace was asked about it, he said the step is built solid for a reason, it's needed for structural strength. Those of us who modified it at the time did so knowing this.

FWIW, I did mine 3 or 4 years ago and can see no ill effects, at least none I can see.
Ah, did not know that about the step being needed for structural strength.

I believe when you did your step, you kept a solid piece of wood to the front of your hinge. That may well provide the structural support he was referring to. It seems that the wall between the front hatch / propane tanks would take care of that but I will look into adding either an aluminum or wood support under the step.

I will be anxious to hear any reports from others who have done this mod as to their structural concerns.

Thanks for updating this thread Bob.
Old 04-10-2020, 10:47 AM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
But I did utilize the space under the third step for installation of a 12v light to illuminate the second step’s storage area, with a one of the struts used in the cabinets to hold the step open while accessing its contents. The light is controlled by a normally-on plunge switch that cuts power when the step is down.
I have used battery operated motion / dark sensing lights in the bath, wardrobe closet and under the step. Works great, no wiring, switches. Have had batteries in for a year now and still going strong. Bathroom is great, it is not as bright for those middle of the night trips and it goes on when you open the door.