USB Charging Receptacle - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Old 10-21-2014, 06:24 PM   #11
Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
With the Inverter and the transfer switch, it'd always be available.
Given that the inverter isn't 100% efficient I'd still rather have some 12 volt USB outlets.

Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 06:44 PM   #12
Trailer: 2015 5.0TA
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
We don't actually have any need of the traditional 12 volt outlet.

I'd love to have at least two of the 12 volt type mounted to the table top under the window. That'd be a really convenient place for devices while they charge.

Actually, 99% of the time I am connected to the grid and charge devices with 110v. And I have no 12v devices that use the conventional cigarette lighter type plug, so I have no need for the conventional 12v plug in the camper, either, although those in the TV see heavy use. That being said, I would still rather use one of the small plugs with USB outlets that plug into a conventional 12v outlet. When not in use, they can be removed and there is no chance of a phantom draw on the battery. Still, each of us has to install that which we find aesthetically pleasing. If we all thought the same way, we would all be camping in stickies......YUCK!

2015 F150 2.7 EcoBoost (Big Spot)
2015 5.0TA (Little Elsie)
"What a long, strange trip it's been....."
C&G in FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 06:53 PM   #13
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
I wouldn't bother with USB ports that work only with shore power or the inverter, leaving 12V power as my preference.

My concern with built-in units (instead of the cheap and readily available adapters for accessory sockets) is obsolescence: if I had installed 500 mA ports and later needed to upgrade them to handle more power-hungry recent devices, I would be annoyed... but maybe at $11 per device it would only be a minor annoyance. Who knows what is coming next... but it will probably be available as a cheap adapter for an automotive accessory socket.

Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote