USB Outlets - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 01-17-2015, 07:57 AM   #21

Trailer: 2015 17b "Shelly"
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7th Heaven View Post

do keep in mind that these receptacles will require a retrofit of the gang box as the stock electrical box was not deep enough so i had to replace mine
That's odd because the ones I used fit into the gang box with no problem. And it was a shallow box, but everything fit just fine.

sunrisetrucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 10:44 AM   #22

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2015 F150 Ecoboost
There are shallow receptacles with USB and deep ones, depending on the brand. I think the whole USB port issue is a non-issue. There are so many ways to get USB ports via an adapter that I see no need for built-ins. If we ever find ourselves in a "USB shortage" that's the time to consider leaving it behind and go hike, kayak, swim, birdwatch or some other "unplugged" activity. My two cents.

Old 01-17-2015, 02:22 PM   #23

Trailer: 2015 17b "Shelly"
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
If we ever find ourselves in a "USB shortage" that's the time to consider leaving it behind and go hike, kayak, swim, birdwatch or some other "unplugged" activity. My two cents.
You are 100% correct. As nice as these devices are, sometimes it's nicer leaving them off.
sunrisetrucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 09:20 PM   #24

Trailer: All Escape(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by akoaoka View Post
We just completed the build sheet last month for a 2015 trailer and was told the standard 12V outlet looks like this. Should be able to retrofit to existing 12V outlet?
Just to clarify, this 12V/USB outlet is fairly new and has replaced the standard single 12V outlet. It has not made it to the options list yet, therefore additional 12V outlets are still single 12V units unless otherwise specified.

Reace
reace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 09:59 PM   #25

Trailer: 2015 17B "Tody"
Quote:
Originally Posted by reace View Post
Just to clarify, this 12V/USB outlet is fairly new and has replaced the standard single 12V outlet. It has not made it to the options list yet, therefore additional 12V outlets are still single 12V units unless otherwise specified.

Reace
Oh no. Looks like we will need the adapters. Lots of them.
Old 01-17-2015, 11:40 PM   #26

Trailer: 2014 21 2013 Yukon
Why so many? When we were doing our build list we asked Kim at ETI about it and I forget the exact wording but it was in essence "you don't need it". And we don't. We have a Ventev 2.1A dual output car charger that has one USB plug plus the micro USB. After that we've used on occasion our AC charger while running the inverter.

We invested in solar to charge our battery. Having camped about 40 nights thus far we've found the single 12V Group 29 battery almost always fully charged. With our 17B/dual 6V/no solar we could only camp for 4 nights before needing a charge. So with the solar investment it made sense to get the inverter. We didn't add any 12V or AC plugs and don't miss them.
Rossue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 12:38 AM   #27

Trailer: 2015 17B "Tody"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
Why so many?
We noticed that we have been trying to charge at least 4 devices at night all at once so they will be ready by the morning. It's not about whether we have enough juice in the battery but we seem to run out of chargers all the time. We use our tablets for everything, from watching movies to reviewing homework. Besides, the kids (4 and 7) tend to get the "waterfall" devices and battery life of those devices are not so great.

We didn't order the inverter despite we have the solar. We have no A/C and no microwave. Tablets and phone aside we really don't *need* any 120v appliances. But I will bring a toaster oven as a treat if I know we will be camping with shore power.
Old 01-18-2015, 12:32 PM   #28
Site Team

Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape 19' PRAIRIE SCHOONER pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
Most of these devices will be charged within 2-3 hours, so a single 12v outlet or maybe 2 should handle your needs, except for having to unplug and plug another in occasionally.
Old 01-18-2015, 12:41 PM   #29

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19 & 15B
We have four 12v outlets in our 19'. One is setup for use with the TV but the others are used for charging stuff. Three outlets just meets our needs as there are always phones, cameras or iPads being charged. I personally would not go with less than four outlets, but others may have their own requirements.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 12:43 PM   #30
Site Team

Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape 19' PRAIRIE SCHOONER pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
In addition there are plug in multi adapters that allow 2-3 usb ports Amazon.com: Sanoxy Two-Way 12V DC Car Charger Double Power Adapter Socket Dual Splitter for Most Cell Phones - Retail Packaging - Black: Cell Phones & Accessories
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 31UBXMUp4jL.jpg (15.9 KB, 0 views)