Vacuum Cleaners - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 10-31-2014, 03:36 PM   #1

Trailer: 2015 5.0TA
Vacuum Cleaners

I know many people keep small hand-held vacuum cleaners in their trailers. Is there anybody out there that has installed the Dirt Devil RV Central Vacuum System in their Escape. If so, does it do a good job? I would also like to hear from hand-held vacuum users as to what brand they own, and why they chose their particular unit. I have been using a small dustpan and brush to pick up sand/debris from the floor but think a vacuum may have advantages, and want to have it when I finally get my new trailer.

"What a long, strange trip it's been....."
C&G in FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 03:43 PM   #2

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Bissell 3in1 vac at Walmart about 20.00 . My brother has one I used it and was amazed . Fits nicely under bed .

Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 03:57 PM   #3

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
It's not in an Escape, but we have an RV built-in vacuum - I think it's the same Dirt Devil model. It doesn't work very well, and the bags are both hard to find and expensive, so in that RV (which is large) we carried a lightweight home vacuum. I wouldn't bother with this model of built-in, in any size of RV; in a small unit, the long bulky hose would be annoying.

We have a couple of Black&Decker hand-held cordless vacuums. The latest one is quite good, due to more power and a useful configuration of nozzles and dirt compartment; I don't remember the model, and it's a few years old so it probably isn't current anyway, but it looks about like this one:
14.4V Cordless Hand Vac - MODEL # CHV1410
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 04:03 PM   #4

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2015 F150 Ecoboost
Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
I know many people keep small hand-held vacuum cleaners in their trailers. Is there anybody out there that has installed the Dirt Devil RV Central Vacuum System in their Escape. If so, does it do a good job? I would also like to hear from hand-held vacuum users as to what brand they own, and why they chose their particular unit. I have been using a small dustpan and brush to pick up sand/debris from the floor but think a vacuum may have advantages, and want to have it when I finally get my new trailer.
I would personally not waste my time installing a central vac in a unit the size of an Escape. We've owned homes with central vac systems, and our experience has been that they do not perform as well as standard vacs. As Brian has pointed out, the bags are a pain to find, are expensive, and the hoses are unwieldy. And considering the small space they have to clean, why go to the expense and hassle of installation?

We have a Shark Rocket Ultralite vacuum now and we love it. It's small enough that we can take it with us when we camp. Dual purpose -- I like that.
Old 10-31-2014, 04:08 PM   #5

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
We bought the Bissell Cleanview at Camping World, and like it a lot. It's AC, so we wait to use it when there's power. Has a very long power cord. I've had a number of handheld 12 volt vacuums....none of which has every lasted very long.

CleanView Deluxe Corded Hand Vacuum - Bissell Homecare Inc 47R51 - Handheld & Stick Vacuums - Camping World
2007 Norwegian Elkhound "Baxter"
santacruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 04:41 PM   #6

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Also the Bissell uses Ac too . Maybe why it works great .
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 04:50 PM   #7

Trailer: 2015 5.0TA
So far, all great answers. Thanks for the assessment of the Dirt Devil RV model Brian. As Robert stated, home built-ins seem to leave a bit to be desired, and you have confirmed that the RV model doesn't work well. And I don't want double duty as I will forget to bring it with me so I want something that works but I can dedicate it exclusively to the Escape. I will look into the Bissels and the Shark, but if someone else has other suggestions, please keep them coming.
"What a long, strange trip it's been....."
C&G in FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 05:30 PM   #8

Trailer: 2008 Escape 5.0
We have the Black & Decker Flex Cordless Mini and love it! It works great and fits nicely in the bottom step storage along with the water hose and water hookup stuff! No bags to mess with, just dump the contents in the trash.
Black & Decker Flex Cordless Mini Canister Vacuu... : Target
Sandia Park, New Mexico
FMLNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 05:59 PM   #9

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2015 F150 Ecoboost
Quote:
Originally Posted by FMLNM View Post
We have the Black & Decker Flex Cordless Mini and love it! It works great and fits nicely in the bottom step storage along with the water hose and water hookup stuff! No bags to mess with, just dump the contents in the trash.
Black & Decker Flex Cordless Mini Canister Vacuu... : Target
That looks like a very nice unit, and very compact so it's easy to store. I'm also liking it because it's a canister. In my experience they work better.
Old 10-31-2014, 06:27 PM   #10

Trailer: 2014 5TA/ *012 17B (previous)
We had a couple of dirt devils, weren't ever really happy with them.
We currently have a "Eureka- easyclean" we really like it, has really good suction and it has an attached pull out wand that is great for vacuuming around the screen door- which is the hardest place to get the pebbles out of. It's also small and portable.

'Have No Regrets'
Chapitre is offline   Reply With Quote