Victron BMV-712 battery monitor - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-03-2019, 11:50 AM   #1

Trailer: 2014 Escape 15B sold, 2019 Escape 19
Victron BMV-712 battery monitor

Installed the Victron BMV-712 battery monitor. I don’t have the front box so in order to keep the shunt close to the batteries I used an electrical box attached to one of the battery boxes. The cable from the shunt goes into the electrical area (under the driver side bench) and up the corner into the front driver side top cabinet where I installed the monitor, not in your face but still easy to keep an eye on. Fishing the monitor wire called for some patience but it wasn’t too bad. Didn’t camp yet after the install but tried few things in my driveway, really nice to know what’s going on with the electrical system and the batteries.
Next up - Solar.
Attached Thumbnails
Monitor.jpg   Monitor location1.jpg   Shunt1.jpg   Shunt box.jpg  
Effie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 04:52 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014
Are you using a Victron solar controller?

Have you added a temperature sensor?

Is there Bluetooth involved?

Any concerns about the shunt and protecting the connection and device from power mishaps?

Perhaps you can tell I have been looking at the Victron products. Most interest in going to 24 volt solar and their MMPT controller.
fudge_brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 05:24 PM   #3

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21; previously a 2012 Escape 19
I have a Victron BMV-712 battery monitor and a Victron MPPT 75/15 Smart Solar Charge Controller both with Bluetooth in our 21. They have been flawless.
Old 07-03-2019, 06:41 PM   #4

Yes I forgot to mention I installed the temperature sensor. I also started testing the Victron SmartSolar 100/35 controller I got, in addition to an older one I have on my portable solar panel. The monitor and the controllers can be viewed on a Bluetooth device and also when configured in what Victron calls “VE.Smart networking” the battery monitor will transmit battery voltage & temperature to the charge controller(see photo), works really nice and easy to configure, all done from the smartphone app.
I’m not sure about concerns for the shunt or the display, the shunt looks to be well made and the connection to the display uses what looks like a phone cable (RJ11), obviously if the cable fails the monitor will stop working but the RV will still have power. I also noticed that when the charge controller can’t receive the battery information from the monitor it uses its own battery voltage reading, not as accurate but still enable charging from the solar.
From all I’ve been reading and with my own (limited) experience I can highly recommend Victron. They do cost more than some other solution out there but seems to be well worth it.
Attached Thumbnails
VE.smart.jpg  
Old 07-05-2019, 08:55 AM   #5

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19'er + 2018 Highlander
Absolutely love our Victron BMV-712. I can even monitor the battery situation in the trailer on my iPad or iPhone from the island in my house's kitchen! Or from the tow vehicle. I put the meter next to our indoor/outdoor thermometer at the entrance of our 19'er.

For a small uncharge Escape ran the shunt-to-meter wire for me during the build of our trailer.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_4487.jpg   IMG_4488.jpg  
EscapeBoulder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 01:38 AM   #6

Yes this was the other location I was considering. I would definitely let Escape ran the cabling, only I wasn't set on the Victron when I placed my order.