Vinyl protection for under sink cabinet - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-29-2018, 12:42 PM   #1

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Vinyl protection for under sink cabinet

Didn’t like how the under sink area was getting beat up from years of use. Had some left over high end sheet vinyl flooring from my house that made a perfect covering. Took quite a bit of effort for a perfect fit, but it is up under the front lip and under the right side divider so I didn’t feel the need to adhere it with adhesive.
Attached Thumbnails
12BFA358-A875-4DAC-9169-F3C7C11670F1.jpg   FE22FF7B-504F-4B07-9BA9-B440C422227B.jpg   8A0D8517-6BFB-4427-83F9-4620EFEFB1AC.jpg   58605DC0-4139-4B01-89E7-2A4E96485535.jpg  
Old 12-29-2018, 12:51 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
nice work and a nice improvement....
Old 12-29-2018, 01:19 PM   #3

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
Didn’t like how the under sink area was getting beat up from years of use. Had some left over high end sheet vinyl flooring from my house that made a perfect covering. Took quite a bit of effort for a perfect fit, but it is up under the front lip and under the right side divider so I didn’t feel the need to adhere it with adhesive.
Very nice ! Noticed you didn't change the drain valve to the Hepo Is there a reason . I trust your opinion. Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 04:17 PM   #4

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Great idea! thanks for sharing
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 06:12 PM   #5

Trailer: Escape 21
Quote:
Looks good!
Old 12-29-2018, 06:14 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Very nice ! Noticed you didn't change the drain valve to the Hepo Is there a reason . I trust your opinion. Pat
Those are nice. Casita offers Hepo drains as standard. I think.
Old 12-29-2018, 08:27 PM   #7

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Well done! A very attractive upgrade.
Old 12-29-2018, 09:25 PM   #8

Quote:
Thanks Pat. Regarding the Hepvo I just really didn’t want to get into the surgery. The 21’s were having a slow draining issue, but the 19’s (atleast ours) has a vent just below the cabinet that splits off to the wheel well. Never had a draining issue even with faucet on full to fill the gray tank for a good flush. Also, while there is space savings it isn’t enough to convince me to commit.
Old 12-30-2018, 12:00 AM   #9

Quote:
Thanks Pat. Regarding the Hepvo I just really didn’t want to get into the surgery. The 21’s were having a slow draining issue, but the 19’s (atleast ours) has a vent just below the cabinet that splits off to the wheel well. Never had a draining issue even with faucet on full to fill the gray tank for a good flush. Also, while there is space savings it isn’t enough to convince me to commit.
Good points Dave . One thing though because I think trying to save water when boondocking , we have had a smelly drain , a couple times ,I have to use bleach or chemicals . When we have hookups no problem with water washing down drain . I think I may have read somewhere that you have to replace in a few years because of the seals . Have you ever had that problem ? Or forget it and just do what I have been doing to not have any smells ? Because the most water goes down bathroom sink and shower never had any problems with those drains . Pat
Old 12-30-2018, 06:16 AM   #10

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Good points Dave . One thing though because I think trying to save water when boondocking , we have had a smelly drain , a couple times ,I have to use bleach or chemicals . When we have hookups no problem with water washing down drain . I think I may have read somewhere that you have to replace in a few years because of the seals . Have you ever had that problem ? Or forget it and just do what I have been doing to not have any smells ? Because the most water goes down bathroom sink and shower never had any problems with those drains . Pat
No seals, just water. The plumbing "J" trap under the sink serves this purpose, filled with liquid while in use, it prevents sewer gas from entering the living space, just like at home. You have to occasionally insure the trap has liquid for it to function, otherwise the smells invade.
Old 12-30-2018, 07:11 AM   #11

Quote:
Pat: We just use a little bleach if needed down the kitchen drain. Seems to work well and gets to the root cause of the issue. If someone puts on the Hepvo and still has the open vent under the closet without an air admittance valve they will very likely get smells anyway. Thankfully when I looked through the hole that the furnace switch mounts I saw that we have the AAV. This is related to this other thread that I’m sure you’ve seen...
http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f7...lly-11025.html
Old 12-30-2018, 07:16 AM   #12
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Pat: We just use a little bleach if needed down the kitchen drain. Seems to work well and gets to the root cause of the issue.
I use liquid black tank chemicals. I rinse the bottle out in the bathroom sink. That bit of chemicals seems to take care of any gray water smells.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 08:04 AM   #13

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19' (sold), Escape 5.0 as of August 2019 (sold)
Great idea! It looks really good. Another item to add to my list. [emoji4]
JStelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 11:36 AM   #14

Quote:
Pat: We just use a little bleach if needed down the kitchen drain. Seems to work well and gets to the root cause of the issue. If someone puts on the Hepvo and still has the open vent under the closet without an air admittance valve they will very likely get smells anyway. Thankfully when I looked through the hole that the furnace switch mounts I saw that we have the AAV. This is related to this other thread that I’m sure you’ve seen...
http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f7...lly-11025.html
Ok Dave guess if water isn't washing out the drain because needing to be frugal with the water, just go on as before with the bleach or chemical.
The seals I was referring to were in the the replacement valve not the existing drain . Having to periodically change that valve out was the reason I never did that mod. That valve is not cheap in price either.
I don't know if we have the special valve cap in closet air Vent pipe . Hard to see but I guess will take care of it , if it is missing . Pat
Old 12-30-2018, 12:39 PM   #15

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
Quote:
Having to periodically change that valve out was the reason I never did that mod. That valve is not cheap in price either. Pat
I haven't heard of a need to periodically change the seal in a Hepvo valve before. I've never done it on any of the Hepvo installs that I have done and the manufacturer states that it is not necessary.

From the Hepvo site: "Installed correctly can be expected to have a life expectancy at least equivalent to current water sealed traps. In addition Hepvo is guaranteed against defects in materials or manufacturing for a period of 3 years."

Where did you hear that the Hepvo seals need to be periodically changed?
Old 12-30-2018, 12:42 PM   #16

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Perhaps they do need to be changed, if you pour bleach into the drain.
Old 12-30-2018, 01:52 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdf-texas View Post
I haven't heard of a need to periodically change the seal in a Hepvo valve before. I've never done it on any of the Hepvo installs that I have done and the manufacturer states that it is not necessary.

From the Hepvo site: "Installed correctly can be expected to have a life expectancy at least equivalent to current water sealed traps. In addition Hepvo is guaranteed against defects in materials or manufacturing for a period of 3 years."

Where did you hear that the Hepvo seals need to be periodically changed?
Years ago not sure where I read about needing to replace, but it is not the same as a open drain so I didn't question what I read . For the gain in space and cost at least for now just stick with what we have . We don't have any issues with sink draining . Bleach won't hurt the abs but If you used on the seals in a Hepvo valve ,probably not a good idea . Pat
Old 12-30-2018, 02:53 PM   #18

Quote:
I don't know if we have the special valve cap in closet air Vent pipe . Hard to see but I guess will take care of it , if it is missing . Pat
Pat: My suggestion is to pull out the water heater switch and see if you can see the pipe. I got lucky and saw the AAV right through the hole. I bought one before I realized I didn’t need it. I’ll ship it to you if you need it. Unfortunately you’ll probably need to cut out a section of the bottom of the closet to install. This is the item:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000H...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 12-30-2018, 02:53 PM   #19

The Hepo valve shouldn’t let tank smells through like the p-traps, aka j-trap drains. J-traps keep the stank out when they have enough water in them to seal, per what Jim said. If they’re not often used, the water will evaporate, and the stank will permeate the air. Maybe a few vigorous bounces could slosh some of it out.

That won’t happen with the Hepo, because of how it lets water drain through it. There is no curly-que, trumpet shaped p-valve in a Hepo unit to collect water; therefore, no need to add water for an effective seal against the stank.

I’m probably going to install one under the sink on my 21’er when I get it, so that I can slide some extra pots, pans, baskets, or other supplies under my cabinet without hitting the blasted p-trap. For me, it’s worth the $20-$30 bucks and a couple hours, to have less stank and more undersink room.

Edit: I searched for slow-draining sinks, and re-read the sticky about installing these bad-boys. http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...all-12288.html

Good thread, tdf!
Old 12-30-2018, 03:02 PM   #20

Quote:
Pat: My suggestion is to pull out the water heater switch and see if you can see the pipe. I got lucky and saw the AAV right through the hole. I bought one before I realized I didn’t need it. I’ll ship it to you if you need it. Unfortunately you’ll probably need to cut out a section of the bottom of the closet to install. This is the item:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000H...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Thankyou Dave . Can't right now but I did cut a new cabinet like Ron and others under the furnace . I also have a little inspection camera I could maybe look up there . I hope it is on there . Keeping fingers crossed . Pat
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0481.jpg