Want a better hub cap - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 03-25-2016, 10:26 AM   #21

Trailer: 2009 Escape 19
TireMinder model A1A. Don, the previous owner, had a set on Nautilus that he transferred to his new Bigfoot. He had a flat tire on the Escape once and said he would not have known if he did not have the tire monitering system. I already have a factory system in the tow vehicle which I like very much, so thought it prudent to get one for the trailer.

http://www.amazon.com/TireMinder-Tir...ilpage_o07_s00
Old 03-25-2016, 11:12 AM   #22

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
And they look pretty darn sharp. What are you going to name her now?
Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 11:45 AM   #23

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaGman View Post
TireMinder model A1A. Don, the previous owner, had a set on Nautilus that he transferred to his new Bigfoot. He had a flat tire on the Escape once and said he would not have known if he did not have the tire monitering system. I already have a factory system in the tow vehicle which I like very much, so thought it prudent to get one for the trailer.

http://www.amazon.com/TireMinder-Tir...ilpage_o07_s00
I see you have the 19 too . Are your wheels 14 or 15 . Maybe it doesn't make ant difference ? I hear you about the flat on trailer , my last trek to Washington , when I got home I had a flat on one tire . Do not know for how long . Another good reason for dual wheels I think . Thanks Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 03:17 PM   #24

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
I see you have the 19 too . Are your wheels 14 or 15 . Maybe it doesn't make ant difference ?
It has been quite a while since Escape has used any 14" wheels, and I think the 19 Foot and 21 Foot have always had 15" wheels.

The fit of this style of cap depends on the number and spacing of the wheel nuts, which 5 bolts on a 4.5" circle for all Escapes; it also probably depends on the shape and length of the nuts themselves. None of this is related to the wheel diameter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
I hear you about the flat on trailer , my last trek to Washington , when I got home I had a flat on one tire . Do not know for how long . Another good reason for dual wheels I think . Thanks Pat
"Dual" normally refers to two wheels and tires on the same end of the same axle, like a "dualie" pickup truck; a pair of axles is called a "tandem" configuration.

Tire problems can be caused by uneven loading, which tandem axles make worse, so it could also be an argument for a single axle. When a tire goes flat on one axle, the other tire on that side is then overloaded, so don't be surprised if that other tire fails, too. Again, not a problem for singles.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 04:05 PM   #25

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
It has been quite a while since Escape has used any 14" wheels, and I think the 19 Foot and 21 Foot have always had 15" wheels.

The fit of this style of cap depends on the number and spacing of the wheel nuts, which 5 bolts on a 4.5" circle for all Escapes; it also probably depends on the shape and length of the nuts themselves. None of this is related to the wheel diameter.

"Dual" normally refers to two wheels and tires on the same end of the same axle, like a "dualie" pickup truck; a pair of axles is called a "tandem" configuration.

Tire problems can be caused by uneven loading, which tandem axles make worse, so it could also be an argument for a single axle. When a tire goes flat on one axle, the other tire on that side is then overloaded, so don't be surprised if that other tire fails, too. Again, not a problem for singles.
Oh dear . Hope not . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 06:53 PM   #26

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
So I have been looking at my grubby yellowed plastic factory hub caps. Had found that a good rubbing with acetone actually cleans plastic right back to original white. Turns out that is easy enough for a small flat plastic part, but the process got old fast when I tried doing it on the yellowed hubcaps.

I checked out the Amazon listing for Phoenix plated chrome hub caps, 5 lug nuts on 4.5" bolt pattern. At $26.20 for four, a good price. Shipping added, however, jacks it up to $41 beans. It may be chrome plated but - still made of plastic. Thinking some Krylon chrome paint for plastic, under 5 bucks, makes a little more sense. Decisions decisions.
Attached Thumbnails
hubcaps.jpg  
Old 04-19-2018, 07:20 PM   #27

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
How about some baby moons?
Old 04-19-2018, 07:39 PM   #28

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Myron,
You were parked right next to me at Quartzsite and my newly painted hubs. I used the Fusion gloss white. Took about an hour to shoot them, dried overnight and off to Q with brand new look. Cost about $5 at Ace for the Fusion.
I also taped off and shot all the yellowed plastic. Never yellows again after the painting. Several people commented the trailer looked like I just picked it up.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 07:53 PM   #29

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Yes Greg, seems to make the most sense. So if they call it "Fusion" paint that must mean the paint fuses to plastic, therefore ...peeling nevermore(?).
Attached Thumbnails
IronRav.jpg  
Old 04-19-2018, 10:27 PM   #30

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
This is Heather, my garden doll. She was painted with a Krylon Fusion spray can several years ago and has been waiting for her better half ever since.
Dover White is a good match for Escape gel coat.
Attached Thumbnails
Heather.jpg  
Old 04-19-2018, 11:09 PM   #31

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
Yes Greg, seems to make the most sense. So if they call it "Fusion" paint that must mean the paint fuses to plastic, therefore ...peeling nevermore(?).
Made to bond with plastic. Yellow, peeling, plastic “Quoth the raven “Nevermore.”
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 06:52 AM   #32

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19 "Terrapin"
Just when you think you've seen it all......Heather, the garden doll.
Old 04-20-2018, 10:46 AM   #33

Trailer: 21' Escape - 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
This is Heather, my garden doll. She was painted with a Krylon Fusion spray can several years ago and has been waiting for her better half ever since.
Dover White is a good match for Escape gel coat.
1Oldman is offline   Reply With Quote