Want a better hub cap - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 03-24-2016, 09:54 AM   #1

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Want a better hub cap

The plastic, factory supplied hub caps bother me. They discolor with age pretty fast. I worry it won't be long before the next time a hub cap is removed the plastic snap-on lug jaws are brittle enough to crack. What then?

Sure, you can delay the obvious deterioration by painting the outside with Krylon. I have already done that to the yellowed stove vent and manual bath vent plastic. Seems a cosmetic solution merely delaying the inevitable. That's likely good enough for a hatch, but not for hub caps.

Anyone know of a non-plastic hub cap that would fit these wheels?
Attached Thumbnails
hubs1A.jpg  
Old 03-24-2016, 10:48 AM   #2

Trailer: A lovely 2017 Escape 21C
Myron,
Did a quick search and came up with a lot of different hubcaps including this.

Robot Check

I really need to figure out how to insert a link.

Steve M
edit: well golly, this time it worked.
Just noticed that these are 6 lug. but just search ebay has plenty of 15 inch available.
Steven M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 11:10 AM   #3

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Glanced at the two thumbnails and thought, at first, you'd sprayed them with Krylon, then I saw the date. I sprayed my propane tank cover a while ago and was tempted to spray the plastic hubcaps at the same time. I decided that, with the glossy surface, it'd be too much work to abrade them so I didn't bother.

I agree, from the the get-go they're on borrowed time. Haven't broken one yet but a good looking hubcab would be a nice alternative.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 11:15 AM   #4

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
One of mine cracked a while ago - so I have been going without.
jamman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 11:18 AM   #5

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
How about these?
Robot Check
tdf-texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 11:23 AM   #6
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Myron, you might do something like a Chrome hub cover and stainless lugs. It's trapped by the wheel, and the only way they come off is to remove the wheel. Should really dress it up too. Not sure of the size.

2 Trailer Lug Cap Sets Stainless Hub Cover 5 SS Lugs 3 25" Center Bore | eBay
Old 03-24-2016, 01:41 PM   #7

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven M View Post
Just noticed that these are 6 lug. but just search ebay has plenty of 15 inch available.
There are 6-bolt wheels in 15"... the important part is to match the centre, regardless of nominal wheel diameter. For caps which fit to the studs: an Escape has 5 bolts on a 4.5" bolt circle. For caps which go through the centre hole (such as the ones Robert linked), you need to match that hole - and not all wheels of the same diameter have the same centre hole.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 02:09 PM   #8

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Close look at the rim suggests they are made to not allow a snap-on hub cap of any size, unless it snaps onto the 5 lugs like the plastic ones. No other way? I really want the baby moon(s).

Seems only Steve's/TDFTexas' and rbryan's suggested options are an answer.

Very limited, disappointing. I see the hub cap not merely as something with which to cover and shield the lugs and hubs. (Not that there's anything wrong with that.) I see it as a proud style statement proclaiming and publicizing personal inner fantasies spinning and searching in circles for outlets, be they ever so humble.
Old 03-24-2016, 02:18 PM   #9

Trailer: Escape
Bling

Robot Check
Old 03-24-2016, 02:29 PM   #10

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
Close look at the rim suggests they are made to not allow a snap-on hub cap of any size, unless it snaps onto the 5 lugs like the plastic ones. No other way? I really want the baby moon(s).

Very limited, disappointing. I see the hub cap not merely as something with which to cover and shield the lugs and hubs. (Not that there's anything wrong with that.) I see it as a proud style statement proclaiming and publicizing personal inner fantasies spinning and searching in circles for outlets, be they ever so humble.
Myron what Robert posted looks like what is on our fancy aluminum wheels if you look there is a lip .mwhen I had to go fix a flat it goes behind the wheel rim and is held in place when you use the lugs . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 03:52 PM   #11
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
I see it as a proud style statement proclaiming and publicizing personal inner fantasies spinning and searching in circles for outlets, be they ever so humble.
Wow. Who knew a hubcap could have such profound significance?
Old 03-24-2016, 04:48 PM   #12

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
[QUOTE=MyronL;133983
I see the hub cap not merely as something with which to cover and shield the lugs and hubs. (Not that there's anything wrong with that.) I see it as a proud style statement proclaiming and publicizing personal inner fantasies spinning and searching in circles for outlets, be they ever so humble.[/QUOTE]

I want ones that look like wire wheels with the center knock-off.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 05:09 PM   #13

Trailer: 2015 19' - "Tramper"
This may work -

Phoenix USA, Inc. - QT545CHS
lancenadine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 05:24 PM   #14

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
[QUOTE=MyronL;133983]Close look at the rim suggests they are made to not allow a snap-on hub cap of any size, unless it snaps onto the 5 lugs like the plastic ones. No other way? I really want the baby moon(s).

Very limited, disappointing.
Myron
For what it's worth, I like baby moons too. On our 2010 19 we have 14 inch rims with the standard 5 on 4 1/2 lugs. We do have, however, very good fitting " beauty rings" on the outer rim depression. They dress the white wheels up somewhat and a good inner hubcap would complete the look. The rings are metal, chrome finish and snap,into the rim. They might have been an Escape option at one time, don't know.
Best of luck in your search.
Dave.
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 05:45 PM   #15

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
Good grief, have not heard the term "beauty rings" in eons! Thanks for the trip back in time...
'22 GMC Acadia Denali
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 06:45 PM   #16

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19' (sold), Escape 5.0 as of August 2019 (sold)
We met Nautilus a few weeks ago and he replaced his with nice chrome hubcaps. Can't remember where he got them. Hope he sees this tread and chimes in.
JStelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 07:31 PM   #17

Trailer: gone, 19 and 21 & 17B with 5.0 now. gone
hub caps

Dave and all the beauty rings are stainless from BOB DRAKE CO. in Grant's Pass, Or. He offers a choice of several styles and they are excellent quality as all of his parts are. Available in several sizes and I believe I may have switched to chrome lug nuts as well.
Jack
azjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 09:17 PM   #18

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Thanks Jack. I have them off right now because they need a good shining up. Lug nuts under the plastic hubcaps are steel but I've been thinking about chrome. I put chrome nuts , cap style on a city trailer once and got my butt chewed. Then I showed the director four ruined rims that a clueless seasonal employee had nutted down with the flat end of the lug nuts and left the centering taper out. Ruined the rim, studs and nuts, then maybe I wasn't being so wasteful. Have to get a chrome dust cover too. Hope this doesn't eat into my beer budget too deeply. Hope you're having a good spring with good weather.
Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 09:57 AM   #19

Trailer: 2009 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by JStelly View Post
We met Nautilus a few weeks ago and he replaced his with nice chrome hubcaps. Can't remember where he got them. Hope he sees this tread and chimes in.
I have purchased the egg-formerly-known-as-Nautilus. I popped the covers off to check the part number and they are the Phoenix USA ones listed above. They are also sold on Amazon.

Old 03-25-2016, 10:01 AM   #20

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
[QUOTE=FlaGman;134084]I have purchased the egg-formerly-known-as-Nautilus. I popped the covers off to check the part number and they are the Phoenix USA ones listed above. They are also sold on Amazon.

[IMG]http://i1140.photobucket.com/albums/n568/garlandmeyer/EAB775C0-0720-4C41-BD1E-4E49E4AC6E8D_zpsxpwhab7v.jpg[/IMG. Can you share what tire sensors are on your wheels ? Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote