Water filter system - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-10-2017, 06:00 AM   #21

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Something I have heard ad nauseam from a few German friends. While there is good beer produced there without a doubt, there is also a lot of great beer brewed here now too.
Very true. That is why I mentioned proliferation of microbreweries in a previous post. It is, IMO opinion, not the “big guys” who are producing the “great” beer that is being brewed on this continent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
That sort of additive would be bad, but there's a whole world of brewing between a restriction to the four ingredients and dumping any old crap in there.
I wouldn't buy any beer with that sort of crap in it; I generally only buy products of small Alberta breweries.

If you only look at the products of AB InBev, Molson Coors, and similar, then there's probably lots of questionable stuff in there.
Again, the gold star goes to the little guys rather than the brewing giants. Actually, the quality of beer available in North America for so many years before the rise of microbreweries can be attributed to WWII. Prior to the “big one,” the corporate brewers made a decent product. When the men went off to fight the war, Rosie the Riveter (and lots of women) moved into the factories. Many assumed the afterwork habits of their husbands/boyfriends stopping at a bar to have a beer or two on the way home after their shift. Many complained about the full body/heaviness of the beer and the brewers reduced the amount of malted grain to provide a lighter taste. Less malt also results in lower production cost. However, the production of “light” beer cannot be entirely blamed on a predominantly female workforce. The war effort also resulted in some stress on the availability beer making ingredients. So I would simply ask, what path do you think the brewing companies chose after the war ended and life returned to pre-war normalcy? In answering that question, think about the money trail.
Old 12-10-2017, 10:13 AM   #22

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
I worked my summers at the Pabst brewery in Newark during the early 60's. Never saw a rat, and that includes the workers. I thought the beer was nectar.
Old 12-10-2017, 10:54 AM   #23

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
I worked my summers at the Pabst brewery in Newark during the early 60's. Never saw a rat, and that includes the workers. I thought the beer was nectar.
Myron - was it like the Pabst plant in Peoria where the workers got to "sample" Pabst all shift long?

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 02:10 PM   #24

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA!
Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
Work to do what?
The above mentioned blue filter is charcoal based. It will remove excessive chlorine and trap sand and sediment that may be in the water, but it will not remove toxins or certain microorganisms. The first line of defense are the licensed operators who run the water production facilities, municipal and private. With the exception of the occasional unscrupulous politically motivated individuals who “cover up” deficiencies such as excessive lead in the water because they cannot or will not spend the money necessary to address the problem, water supplies in Canada and the U.S. are generally safe for drinking. These licensed operators follow the recommendations in various manuals published by the American Water Works Association. These recommended practices have been incorporated into rules and regulations in many States and Provinces, and are actually adhered to in developed countries throughout the world. So yes, the blue filter is “Mickey Mouse,” but it is not intended to protect human health; it is intended to make the water taste better by removing chlorine or other disinfectants and to keep particulate matter, harmless to ones health, out of the plumbing within the trailer. And while Robert mentioned reverse osmosis, RO systems are expensive and require frequent maintenance. Additionally, many people will tell you RO water tastes somewhat flat.
This licensed water treatment plant operator THANKS YOU!!! The only time I worry about the water in campgrounds is when the incoming pressure is low (think below 20 psi). This usually indicates a large leak or a pump problem and can indicate a POTENTIAL for contamination. When I find this I fill up somewhere else and notify the management they have a problem.
Ian and Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 02:15 PM   #25

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Interesting contrast between this water filtration thread and the one on dry camping where some think it's OK to toss humane feces into the campground garbage.
Old 12-10-2017, 02:20 PM   #26

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Interesting contrast between this water filtration thread and the one on dry camping where some think it's OK to toss humane feces into the campground garbage.
Next time you fill up your water tank where this is common look to see if this dumpster is uphill of the well! I agree the bags are not a good way to deal with feces.
Ian and Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 09:28 PM   #27

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Eric, I wish I had a photograph of the Pabst lunchroom. It was buried somewhere in the middle of the plant - a dark, bare bones throwback to the 1920's is a good description. Everything they had running that week was always available on ice, free, all day long: cans, bottles. quarts, two kegs on tap. The only rule was you couldn't take any of it home with you. We didn't have breaks. Everyone called them "beer breaks."

Of course, I didn't have to eat lunch down there because of my boss, Joe Logan, who was beloved by everyone, (he used to work at the Milwaukee plant) and when the freight elevator opened steamfitters would show up with Ice, electricians brought up the beer, etc. So sweet. Never ever saw anyone drunk. Never.
Old 12-11-2017, 08:31 AM   #28

Trailer: New 21 Escape (not classic)10/16 Sold Lil Snoozy 7/16
Beer and water filtration?

My college summers were spent at the Schiltz,Piels, and Schaefer
Breweries .I worked in the Bottle shop or the warehouse moving beer around with forklifts .A very Fun job and we could bring Home a case for $2.00 I was a Hero out in the LI Hamptons on weekends . Today i like the smaller Breweries IPA's and such . I never worried about the quality of the water NYC had one of the best water supplies in the Nation at that time . We now have SW Florida well water which smells and tastes worse . So bottled water or bottled beer for me .That's my Story and I'm sticking to it.
jennykatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 09:07 AM   #29

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
We drink our water right out of the ground.
Filtering just ruins that fresh water taste.
The best water I ever drank was from the Schmidt's Brewery in
St Paul Minnesota.
The breweries well was over a 1000 ft deep and was drilled on the high bluffs over looking the Mississippi River.
We would fill 5 gallon jugs of Schmidt's water every summer for making pickles.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 09:45 AM   #30

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
The brew

Aaah yes, Schmitt beer “ The Brew that Grew with the Great Northwest” I really liked the animals and fish printed in the cans. There was a very nice exhibit at the Potosi brewery of Schmitt memorabilia a couple years ago when Rita and I were there one day. Growing up, my Dad looked in on an old Czech fellow and they would usually have a Schmitt or two. $.89 a six pack back then. A couple of coeds had sold old Joe a 6 magazine subscription. I sat in a straight backed oak chair next to the floor heater and read those magazines cover to cover. Field and Stream, Outdoor Life, Sports Afield, True, Stag, and Argossy. Willa Cather didn’t have anything on Jack O’Conner. Those were the good old days.
Iowa Dave
Old 12-11-2017, 09:46 AM   #31

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennykatz View Post
My college summers were spent at the Schiltz,Piels, and Schaefer
Breweries .I worked in the Bottle shop or the warehouse moving beer around with forklifts .A very Fun job and we could bring Home a case for $2.00 I was a Hero out in the LI Hamptons on weekends . Today i like the smaller Breweries IPA's and such . I never worried about the quality of the water NYC had one of the best water supplies in the Nation at that time . We now have SW Florida well water which smells and tastes worse . So bottled water or bottled beer for me .That's my Story and I'm sticking to it.
SW Florida well water quality degrades south of Tampa. Much municipal water south of Tampa comes from surface water rather than wells. Where I live, the source is the Floridian Aquifer and the water is very good, actually. Zephyrhills bottled water comes from the Floridan via the City of Zephyrhills. It is municipal water which is run through charcoal filters, then bottled.
Old 12-11-2017, 09:58 AM   #32

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
Aaah yes, Schmitt beer “ The Brew that Grew with the Great Northwest” I really liked the animals and fish printed in the cans. There was a very nice exhibit at the Potosi brewery of Schmitt memorabilia a couple years ago when Rita and I were there one day. Growing up, my Dad looked in on an old Czech fellow and they would usually have a Schmitt or two. $.89 a six pack back then. A couple of coeds had sold old Joe a 6 magazine subscription. I sat in a straight backed oak chair next to the floor heater and read those magazines cover to cover. Field and Stream, Outdoor Life, Sports Afield, True, Stag, and Argossy. Willa Cather didn’t have anything on Jack O’Conner. Those were the good old days.
Iowa Dave
We drank Schmidt's beer because we lived by the brewery, our neighbors worked at the brewery and you could buy 3 cases of Schmidt's beer for $7 plus deposit . If we had extra money and wanted to splurge , we drank Hamm's beer. Hamm's ,The beer from the land of sky blue waters and home of the Hamm's bear.
If we were broke, we drank Schell's or Cold Springs beer.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 12:08 PM   #33

Trailer: 2010 17B “MATT”, then 2017 19 “Lilly”
Quote:
Originally Posted by B&B Prytula View Post
I am looking for information on the water filter system. Is the option provided by "escape" sufficient or do I need to consider another option. My husband thinks it is a micky/mouse system. What else would be out there that would work.

We recently learned about a company that custom builds water filters for different municipal water supplies. They got started by building filters for Flint, MI, for free:

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-41967811

Santa will be bringing us a system from them for our house, but I also inquired if they can build systems for RV’s and the founder wrote back:

“Absolutely... we can do that (we have lots of systems in RVs). RVs tend to use standard faucet connectors, so it’s really easy. What we’d do for you is take a “broad coverage” approach.”

Company is HydroViv: https://www.hydroviv.com/