Water filter system - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 12-08-2017, 07:35 PM   #1

Trailer: Deposit down on 21ft
Water filter system

I am looking for information on the water filter system. Is the option provided by "escape" sufficient or do I need to consider another option. My husband thinks it is a micky/mouse system. What else would be out there that would work.

B&B Prytula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 09:43 PM   #2

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 pulled by a 2010 Highlander Anderson hitch,
The big cold weather boots issued by the United States Army we’re referred to as Mickey Mouse Boots. They were good down to about -70F. You’ll need an in-line filter available everywhere. It’s blue and threaded for a freshwater hookup or can be used to fill your fresh water tank. About$10 to $15. Mickey was a lot tougher than he looked.
Iowa Dave

Old 12-08-2017, 10:09 PM   #3

Trailer: 5.0 TA #6, 2012 F150 EB
If you are talking about the one that's listed under Accessories, then it's the same as what Dave mentions. It's sufficient, you hook inline with the water hose, it's not an inboard unit. There are a number of the same style out there if you do some on line searching, might find better, or worse, specs on others.
Old 12-08-2017, 11:16 PM   #4

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2015 F150 Ecoboost
Quote:
Originally Posted by B&B Prytula View Post
I am looking for information on the water filter system. Is the option provided by "escape" sufficient or do I need to consider another option. My husband thinks it is a micky/mouse system. What else would be out there that would work.
Brenda, the one offered by Escape is the Camco inline filter. I agree with your husband that it's mickey mouse - not very effective at all in making a noticeable difference in the taste or clarity of the water. The most effective system would be RO, but I didn't want to mess with that in the RV.

So, last year I switched to a different type of inline filter, one made by Systems IV. Model is F7R-GH. Made a big difference in the quality of filtration compared to the cheap Camco blue one. The Camco is supposed to be replaced every 3 months also. The Systems IV filters are good for a year. Highly recommended.

http://www.systemsiv.com/R_Recreation.html
Old 12-08-2017, 11:16 PM   #5

Trailer: 2015 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by B&B Prytula View Post
Work to do what?
The above mentioned blue filter is charcoal based. It will remove excessive chlorine and trap sand and sediment that may be in the water, but it will not remove toxins or certain microorganisms. The first line of defense are the licensed operators who run the water production facilities, municipal and private. With the exception of the occasional unscrupulous politically motivated individuals who “cover up” deficiencies such as excessive lead in the water because they cannot or will not spend the money necessary to address the problem, water supplies in Canada and the U.S. are generally safe for drinking. These licensed operators follow the recommendations in various manuals published by the American Water Works Association. These recommended practices have been incorporated into rules and regulations in many States and Provinces, and are actually adhered to in developed countries throughout the world. So yes, the blue filter is “Mickey Mouse,” but it is not intended to protect human health; it is intended to make the water taste better by removing chlorine or other disinfectants and to keep particulate matter, harmless to ones health, out of the plumbing within the trailer. And while Robert mentioned reverse osmosis, RO systems are expensive and require frequent maintenance. Additionally, many people will tell you RO water tastes somewhat flat.
"What a long, strange trip it's been....."
C&G in FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 11:23 PM   #6

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B - "Toad". '08 Toyota RAV4 V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
The Camco is supposed to be replaced every 3 months also. The Systems IV filters are good for a year. Highly recommended.
I don't know that that is a good thing. Having your water filtered through a year's worth of pollutants.
But, I also can't help thinking about billions of people who just drink water and survive to talk about it.
Of course, mine is filtered at the brewery.

What happens to the hole when the cheese is gone?
- Bertolt Brecht
gbaglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 12:15 AM   #7

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2015 F150 Ecoboost
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
I don't know that that is a good thing. Having your water filtered through a year's worth of pollutants.
Well in my case, about 4 or 5 trips' worth of pollutants, so nothing to worry about. And I agree - brewery filtered water is better.
Old 12-09-2017, 12:48 AM   #8

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Of course, mine is filtered at the brewery.
... and disinfected with a solution of at least 5% ethanol.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 06:05 AM   #9

Trailer: 2015 5.0TA
I really don’t know that consuming water “filtered through breweries” improves the filtration process, nor would I say alcoholic content improves its safety. I can remember my father refusing to drink Pabst Blue Ribbon back in the 1960s because he had read that fecal matter of rats (lots of it) had been found during a health inspection in the supposedly sterile plumbing within the brewery, which I think was located in Newark, but it could have been the one in Milwaukee. That falls into the category of a childhood experience/memory that sticks with you for a lifetime!
Also, if you Google “the shocking ingredients in beer,” it may open your eyes. At least in Germany, where there is real beer rather than a bunch of beverages that claim to be beer, by law beer can only contain 4 ingredients......water, malt, hops, and yeast. I would be inclined to believe the products of the proliferating microbreweries falls somewhere between that of German breweries and the “big brewers” like Bud and Miller, etc.
"What a long, strange trip it's been....."
C&G in FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 07:35 AM   #10

Trailer: 2014 5TA/ *012 17B (previous)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
Brenda, the one offered by Escape is the Camco inline filter. I agree with your husband that it's mickey mouse - not very effective at all in making a noticeable difference in the taste or clarity of the water. The most effective system would be RO, but I didn't want to mess with that in the RV.

So, last year I switched to a different type of inline filter, one made by Systems IV. Model is F7R-GH. Made a big difference in the quality of filtration compared to the cheap Camco blue one. The Camco is supposed to be replaced every 3 months also. The Systems IV filters are good for a year. Highly recommended.

Recreation - Systems IV
Robert,
Did you buy it from the company you linked to? What was the approx. cost?
Thanks

'Have No Regrets'
Chapitre is offline   Reply With Quote