Water filter system - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 12-08-2017, 06:35 PM   #1

Trailer: Deposit down on 21ft
Water filter system

I am looking for information on the water filter system. Is the option provided by "escape" sufficient or do I need to consider another option. My husband thinks it is a micky/mouse system. What else would be out there that would work.
B&B Prytula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 08:43 PM   #2

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
The big cold weather boots issued by the United States Army we’re referred to as Mickey Mouse Boots. They were good down to about -70F. You’ll need an in-line filter available everywhere. It’s blue and threaded for a freshwater hookup or can be used to fill your fresh water tank. About$10 to $15. Mickey was a lot tougher than he looked.
Iowa Dave
Old 12-08-2017, 09:09 PM   #3

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
If you are talking about the one that's listed under Accessories, then it's the same as what Dave mentions. It's sufficient, you hook inline with the water hose, it's not an inboard unit. There are a number of the same style out there if you do some on line searching, might find better, or worse, specs on others.
Old 12-08-2017, 10:16 PM   #4
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by B&B Prytula View Post
I am looking for information on the water filter system. Is the option provided by "escape" sufficient or do I need to consider another option. My husband thinks it is a micky/mouse system. What else would be out there that would work.
Brenda, the one offered by Escape is the Camco inline filter. I agree with your husband that it's mickey mouse - not very effective at all in making a noticeable difference in the taste or clarity of the water. The most effective system would be RO, but I didn't want to mess with that in the RV.

So, last year I switched to a different type of inline filter, one made by Systems IV. Model is F7R-GH. Made a big difference in the quality of filtration compared to the cheap Camco blue one. The Camco is supposed to be replaced every 3 months also. The Systems IV filters are good for a year. Highly recommended.

http://www.systemsiv.com/R_Recreation.html
Old 12-08-2017, 10:16 PM   #5

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Originally Posted by B&B Prytula View Post
Work to do what?
The above mentioned blue filter is charcoal based. It will remove excessive chlorine and trap sand and sediment that may be in the water, but it will not remove toxins or certain microorganisms. The first line of defense are the licensed operators who run the water production facilities, municipal and private. With the exception of the occasional unscrupulous politically motivated individuals who “cover up” deficiencies such as excessive lead in the water because they cannot or will not spend the money necessary to address the problem, water supplies in Canada and the U.S. are generally safe for drinking. These licensed operators follow the recommendations in various manuals published by the American Water Works Association. These recommended practices have been incorporated into rules and regulations in many States and Provinces, and are actually adhered to in developed countries throughout the world. So yes, the blue filter is “Mickey Mouse,” but it is not intended to protect human health; it is intended to make the water taste better by removing chlorine or other disinfectants and to keep particulate matter, harmless to ones health, out of the plumbing within the trailer. And while Robert mentioned reverse osmosis, RO systems are expensive and require frequent maintenance. Additionally, many people will tell you RO water tastes somewhat flat.
Old 12-08-2017, 10:23 PM   #6

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
The Camco is supposed to be replaced every 3 months also. The Systems IV filters are good for a year. Highly recommended.
I don't know that that is a good thing. Having your water filtered through a year's worth of pollutants.
But, I also can't help thinking about billions of people who just drink water and survive to talk about it.
Of course, mine is filtered at the brewery.
Old 12-08-2017, 11:15 PM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
I don't know that that is a good thing. Having your water filtered through a year's worth of pollutants.
Well in my case, about 4 or 5 trips' worth of pollutants, so nothing to worry about. And I agree - brewery filtered water is better.
Old 12-08-2017, 11:48 PM   #8

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Of course, mine is filtered at the brewery.
... and disinfected with a solution of at least 5% ethanol.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 05:05 AM   #9

I really don’t know that consuming water “filtered through breweries” improves the filtration process, nor would I say alcoholic content improves its safety. I can remember my father refusing to drink Pabst Blue Ribbon back in the 1960s because he had read that fecal matter of rats (lots of it) had been found during a health inspection in the supposedly sterile plumbing within the brewery, which I think was located in Newark, but it could have been the one in Milwaukee. That falls into the category of a childhood experience/memory that sticks with you for a lifetime!
Also, if you Google “the shocking ingredients in beer,” it may open your eyes. At least in Germany, where there is real beer rather than a bunch of beverages that claim to be beer, by law beer can only contain 4 ingredients......water, malt, hops, and yeast. I would be inclined to believe the products of the proliferating microbreweries falls somewhere between that of German breweries and the “big brewers” like Bud and Miller, etc.
Old 12-09-2017, 06:35 AM   #10

Trailer: 2014 5TA/ *012 17B (previous)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
Brenda, the one offered by Escape is the Camco inline filter. I agree with your husband that it's mickey mouse - not very effective at all in making a noticeable difference in the taste or clarity of the water. The most effective system would be RO, but I didn't want to mess with that in the RV.

So, last year I switched to a different type of inline filter, one made by Systems IV. Model is F7R-GH. Made a big difference in the quality of filtration compared to the cheap Camco blue one. The Camco is supposed to be replaced every 3 months also. The Systems IV filters are good for a year. Highly recommended.

Recreation - Systems IV
Robert,
Did you buy it from the company you linked to? What was the approx. cost?
Thanks
'Have No Regrets'
Chapitre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 07:52 AM   #11

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Another reason to use the on board 30 g fresh water tank, water from home always tastes better.
Old 12-09-2017, 10:16 AM   #12
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Another reason to use the on board 30 g fresh water tank, water from home always tastes better.
Particularly when one has an excellent well for water at home - makes for that familiar coffee taste.

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 10:49 AM   #13
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapitre View Post
Robert,
Did you buy it from the company you linked to? What was the approx. cost?
Thanks
Chapi, I think I got it on Ebay. There are other sellers as well. Camping world carries it to. About $30 average, although I've seen it as cheap as $23. Just do a search for F7R-GH Filter.

One other benefit I didn't mention: we don't notice any difference in flow with this filter, but we noticed with the Camco.
Old 12-09-2017, 01:12 PM   #14

Trailer: 2018 5.0 T/A "Escaper"
We have used the culligan in-line water filter for our previous rigs and have been completely happy with it but we know its limitations. I've only been in one RV park that they warned us about their potable water and we didn't even attempt high iron if I recall...

We have one rule with regard to potable water (filter or not) and that is never use a dump station potable water to fill up.
akmacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 01:33 PM   #15

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Because we travel with dogs and bring their water from home to prevent sickness, we also bring our own water for drinking. the onboard water is for use while in transit and the cg water is for use while camping, for dishes and bathroom.
Old 12-09-2017, 03:40 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
I really don’t know that consuming water “filtered through breweries” improves the filtration process, nor would I say alcoholic content improves its safety.
I wouldn't, either. Makes for good humour, though.

Quote:
At least in Germany, where there is real beer rather than a bunch of beverages that claim to be beer, by law beer can only contain 4 ingredients......water, malt, hops, and yeast.
I find this idea of "real" beer to be ridiculous. There is a rich history of brewing with various grains, various embittering ingredients (not just hops), and even locally appropriate alternatives to yeast. Ingredients are restricted for various reasons, not the least among them being political influence of hop producers. Even this German definition has changed over the centuries (it originally excluded yeast, and the only grain allowed for the malt was barley), so there is clearly no single "correct" definition. The basic common recipe certainly produces beer (including really bad beer); it's just not the only beer.

Just as ultra-filtered or distilled water tastes "flat", it is the other stuff in beer which makes it interesting. This is why it matters where beer, whisky, and whatever are made: the water contains different minerals.

Do you need your filter to take out absolutely everything other than H2O, to remove everything that affects the taste, or just to remove dangerous stuff?
Old 12-09-2017, 04:32 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
I wouldn't, either. Makes for good humour, though.

I find this idea of "real" beer to be ridiculous. There is a rich history of brewing with various grains, various embittering ingredients (not just hops), and even locally appropriate alternatives to yeast. Ingredients are restricted for various reasons, not the least among them being political influence of hop producers. Even this German definition has changed over the centuries (it originally excluded yeast, and the only grain allowed for the malt was barley), so there is clearly no single "correct" definition. The basic common recipe certainly produces beer (including really bad beer); it's just not the only beer.

Just as ultra-filtered or distilled water tastes "flat", it is the other stuff in beer which makes it interesting. This is why it matters where beer, whisky, and whatever are made: the water contains different minerals.

Do you need your filter to take out absolutely everything other than H2O, to remove everything that affects the taste, or just to remove dangerous stuff?
What you say is true, Brian, but German brewers do not use additives to promote or retain a head. Some of the additives used by many brewers are straight derivatives of petroleum. Almost anyone who has spent time in Germany will tell you that German beer is far superior to most of its North American counterparts.
Old 12-09-2017, 04:57 PM   #18

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Almost anyone who has spent time in Germany will tell you that German beer is far superior to most of its North American counterparts.
Something I have heard ad nauseam from a few German friends. While there is good beer produced there without a doubt, there is also a lot of great beer brewed here now too.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 05:53 PM   #19

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Something I have heard ad nauseam from a few German friends. While there is good beer produced there without a doubt, there is also a lot of great beer brewed here now too.
And for some of precisely here.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 07:39 PM   #20

Quote:
... German brewers do not use additives to promote or retain a head. Some of the additives used by many brewers are straight derivatives of petroleum.
That sort of additive would be bad, but there's a whole world of brewing between a restriction to the four ingredients and dumping any old crap in there.
I wouldn't buy any beer with that sort of crap in it; I generally only buy products of small Alberta breweries.

If you only look at the products of AB InBev, Molson Coors, and similar, then there's probably lots of questionable stuff in there.