Water Heater Indicator lights and 120V Switch. - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 08-06-2011, 01:23 PM   #11

Trailer: 2009 17B "Suite Escape" pulled by a 2005 Toyota Sienna
Re: Water Heater Indicator lights and 120V Switch.

Great ideas! Especially as to having the reminder for the electrical "on". Since I turn off my refrigerator before leaving, I try to remember "hot and cold" to turn the water heater off ads well. If I was closer, I'd stand in the "mod" line. In any event thanks for the inf, and when I locate a good electrician, I 'll do that for the "Suite Escape"

Old 05-11-2016, 10:29 PM   #12
GCS

Trailer: 1976 Aljo
Could you not just simply replace the plain on off switch with an on off switch that lights up when the furnace is on and goes off when it not on ?

GCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 07:42 PM   #13

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCS View Post
Could you not just simply replace the plain on off switch with an on off switch that lights up when the furnace is on and goes off when it not on ?
Jim's mod was for the water heater and it is possible to do it as you describe with an illuminated switch. I just did it today. This works exactly as you describe- light on when the water heater is on and light off when switch is off. The switch is hard to come by in white, but I found the perfect size in black. Looks fine. All that is needed is a jumper wire from the new switch ground terminal to the ground on the existing reset light right next to it.

https://pepboys.com/product/details/8320836/00040
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1653.jpg (222.5 KB, 24 views)
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 07:59 PM   #14

Trailer: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffZ View Post
For the lamp switch.. I know I'm American, but if the light's on doesn't that mean it's switched on..
The light being on does not always indicate that the switch is on.
Many switches have lighted handles which glow when the switch is in the off position so you can find the switch in the dark.
If you have two devices in a junction box that are fed off separate circuits they are often fed from a two pole breaker so that when you shut off the breaker both devices are deenergized.
Not a code requirement but some would assume that if the light went off everything in the box is dead.
Nice Job Jim !!
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 09:21 PM   #15
Site Team

Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape 19' PRAIRIE SCHOONER pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
The newer Escapes now have the water heater switch illuminated.
Old 08-07-2017, 10:08 PM   #16

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
The newer Escapes now have the water heater switch illuminated.
Good to know Jim. Nice that Escape is continually improving. Do you know what the electric mode functionality is for the 2 way water heaters? Still the clumsy switch buried in the outdoor compartment or something better?
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 07:56 AM   #17
Site Team

Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape 19' PRAIRIE SCHOONER pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
I do not have the electric option and there is no provision on the control panel for it.
Old 08-08-2017, 08:14 AM   #18

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
Good to know Jim. Nice that Escape is continually improving. Do you know what the electric mode functionality is for the 2 way water heaters? Still the clumsy switch buried in the outdoor compartment or something better?
Yes, that is the way they are done, but if you wish you can get a panel that switches the 120V too. All it requires is a relay on the water heater tank, and an extra wire run from there to the control panel. I have the parts, but this getting my house listed thing has had me too busy to look at doing it. And now, we take possession of our new house next door Friday, so........
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 10:05 AM   #19

Trailer: '87 Bigfoot 20DLX 5er (sold) - 2017 Escape 5.0 TA: Sep-17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Yes, that is the way they are done, but if you wish you can get a panel that switches the 120V too. All it requires is a relay on the water heater tank, and an extra wire run from there to the control panel. I have the parts, but this getting my house listed thing has had me too busy to look at doing it. And now, we take possession of our new house next door Friday, so........

Jim,

Can you give us the brand and part number of the panel with the electric water heater switch? I've looked and all I can find are panels with extra things like two gray water tanks.

I previously asked if I could use the same type of relay at the water heater that I use for the toe kick heater, but I thought you said the water heater already had a relay. I must have misunderstood.

Thanks!

Rich
ReagentGrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 10:53 AM   #20

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReagentGrade View Post
Jim,

Can you give us the brand and part number of the panel with the electric water heater switch? I've looked and all I can find are panels with extra things like two gray water tanks.

I previously asked if I could use the same type of relay at the water heater that I use for the toe kick heater, but I thought you said the water heater already had a relay. I must have misunderstood.

Thanks!

Rich
Rich, I have the parts packed away now for the move, with not much idea right now where they are. Work on my 5.0TA will be minimal in the next while, but it works just fine as is anyway. The parts were listed on here before, the water heater relay is a Suburban part that attaches to the water heater, and the panel is the same as the Escape supplied one, without the 120V switch.

You could use a relay like with the electric heater, tied into the electrical feed to the water heater, and put a low voltage switch wherever you like to switch it. Or, one could do just as I did in the original post here, and just put a 120V switch in line.

“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote