Two things bothered me about the water heater controls. The fact that to switch the 120V AC on one had to contort their fingers in the outside access panel to turn it on and off. As well, it was real easy to forget it is on. Secondly, have not indication that either the gas was on other than looking to see which way the switch was (and it is backwards to normal protocol), or that the electric was on.
So I did a trip to the BORG and The Source for parts. From The Source I picked up THIS 12V lamp
, and THIS 120V lamp
, and from the BORG I picked up a switch/plug combo and a plastic duplex cover.
To mod the existing gas switch I pulled it out, drilled a hole for the lamp, and connected the leads from the lamp to the terminals shown. That's all there is to it, it was then put back in place. About a 15 minute job. See the photo below for the lamp connections, polarity must be correct or it won't work.
The finished product. It seems my hands were dirty and the plate needs to be wiped.
As we never use the plug under the fridge anyway, I decided to give up one of the plugs on it, and use the other spot to switch the feed to the water heater.
I pulled the electrical panel out to get access behind, cut the cable to the water heater at an appropriate spot, and installed the ends into the box the plug was in using a proper connector.
I then wired the existing plug wires into the single plug, and the spliced the neutrals to the heater together, and the hots to either side of the switch. (NOTE that there is a bar on the hot side that connects the switch to the plug, this must be broken off. It is used for a single circuit to run both the plug and the switch and we don't want that in this application as they are separate circuits).
For the lamp I drilled a hole in the plate to install the lamp in. There was plenty of room to fit in the box beside the switch. I connected one lead to the switched (load) side of the switch, and the other into the wire nut that twisted the neutrals together.
Then just put the plug/switch in and install the plate. The electrical panel was put back in place. This part took me a bit over an hour to do.
Here is the result.
And here are the two together. In the second photo I had them both on, and the gas was still calling for ignition, thus the large (original) lamp was lit.
, no holes were made in this modification (except of course one more in the electrical box).