Water in the Frame - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 06-13-2009, 03:24 PM   #1

Trailer: 2006 Escape 5.0
Water in the Frame

Interesting finding to day. Getting ready to take Hokie up to Lancaster, PA next week, I started to attach our bike rack, and found that it wouldn't fit with the spare tire. Ok, say's I, I'll take the spare off and just place it in the back of the truck when we travel. So, doing that, I also remove the spare tire holder. When I did, water starts gushing out of the bolt hole that goes through the bumper!!!!!! Lots of water!!! So, I'm thinking, "if I hadn't done this, that water would be in the frame, doing it's best to "rust it's way out"! How it got in there, I don't know, perhaps around the bolts?? It appears the bumper is an extension of the frame, and all closed up, but........ Anyway, I'm gonna put some silicone in the top bolt hole, and leave the bottom one open for any further intrusion of water to drain out. Don't know if it's something to check on others, maybe just a freak on mine?
Hokie Escape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 04:47 PM   #2

Trailer: 2009 17B "Suite Escape" pulled by a 2020 Toyota Sienna
Re: Water in the Frame

Thanks for the heads up! I'll try and remember to ask Reace on Monday!
Old 06-13-2009, 05:47 PM   #3

Send a message via Yahoo to Edgar

Sandra,

Please reconnect with the forum on this topic as soon as you can. We're picking up our 19' in 1.5 weeks. If there is a known issue or fix, it would be great to address it on delivery day. Like most, we also have the bike rack option and wish for only pleasant surprises.

Edgar
Edgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 07:36 PM   #4

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4

Hi: HokieEscape... The excess water storage is just one more unique feature of the Escape Trailer!!!If for some reason you're camped in the desert and run out of water you can always look in the back bumper I too have not had the spare tire off the trailer and we also have the receiver for a bike rack on the back bumper. I will be watching this thread for further instructions...Goin' out to have a look right now...Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie BTW Dan do you use a pressure washer to wash the trailer
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 07:58 PM   #5

Hi: All... just got back in from the driveway. Because our door step is made out of the same square tubing for a 2" receiver our step will fit into the bike rack receiver on the bumper( Old Style). Our spare tire mount is bolted thru the the bumper also. I will try to take some pictures tomorrow when the light is better and post them later. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
Old 06-14-2009, 06:25 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by escape artist
BTW Dan do you use a pressure washer to wash the trailer
Heh Alf, I have pressure washed it, but not always. I do have Hokie hooked up to shore power with the AC on, which pours condensation down the back right corner of the trailer. Definite source of water.
I've got to look further to see if the bumper and frame interconnect (ie. one continuous waterway, or if the bumper is only welded to the rest of the frame and thus contains it's own reservoir for that occassional time as Alf says, "you run out of water")
Old 06-14-2009, 06:53 AM   #7

Hi: HokieEscape...Dan. I thought that if using a pressure washer, it might force water into the frame via bolts holding the shell on!!! Maybe a couple of strategicaly placed drain holes in the bottom of the bumper might be required. Alf
Old 06-14-2009, 08:39 AM   #8

Heh Alf...possible, although the water wasn't soapy looking. Probably just rain water (and we've had plenty of that...you'd think the last few weeks we lived in the Pacific NW!). That's a lot of seeping though. I'm gonna check closer this afternoon. I also mounted a mirror on the tongue of the 5.0 to help line up (as we both know, it doesn't have to be too close, but heh, doesn't hurt either). I'll post a picture. Looks good. The hole was already there, just took a few minutes to bolt it on.
Old 06-14-2009, 10:15 AM   #9

Hi: HokieEscape... Dan; the only problem I have hooking up with the short box, full size truck, is the tail gate needs to be raised once it's past the pin. My wife is very good at doing that part but then...with a black pin, black hitch, black bed liner, and shadows created by the gate up... well "It's dark in there"!!! The only + is my hitch has a white arrow stuck to the cab side that I use to line it up.
No sweat yet...but maybe I should spray paint the pin Day-Glo orange, or Bulls Eye Red!!! Alf
Old 06-14-2009, 06:19 PM   #10

Went back and checked on the bumper. As you can see below, the bumper in one sealed tube, and the rest of the frame is welded to it, which means it doen't communicate with the rest of the frame (or so it would seem).
So, the only plausible answer to the orgin of the water must be seepage around the bolt that held the spare tire holder. If the spare tire holder remains in place, perhaps a neopreme washer would seal it?
Attached Thumbnails
burg9.jpg   burg10.jpg  
Old 06-14-2009, 06:26 PM   #11

Alf, my problem is that I added the storage box, so I can't see the hitch. I've been setting the pin at the right height, getting tongue centered in my rear view mirror, and backing up until I hear that "clank" of the hitch pin locking (isn't that a sweet sound). But, I'd feel better if I knew how close I was to the hitch as I'm backing up. So, to copy Gene's idea, I placed this replacement mirror on the tongue, angled so I can see the hitch as I back up. NICE! Like I said earlier, the hole was already there, I just had to find a larger washer and screw in on.
Attached Thumbnails
burg7.jpg   burg8.jpg  
Old 06-14-2009, 08:40 PM   #12

Oppps, that's Glen's idea, and it's bolted on. Thanks Glen for the idea, and thank you Advance Auto for the right mirror : - )
Old 06-14-2009, 09:42 PM   #13

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE

That's OK.

I've been called many things.

baglo
Old 06-14-2009, 10:00 PM   #14

Hi: HokieEscape... Dan I see what you mean. My storage box sits down in the box of the truck so I can see over it. Thats the difference + the rollers for the slider raise the hitch up some too!!! Alf
Old 06-14-2009, 10:35 PM   #15

Hokie;
Thanks for posting that info on the bumper. I will keep a close eye on mine. I'm either thinking of a drain hole at either end of the bumper or a good seal around the bolt. Glad that the bumper is not open to the frame.
Al
52 chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 06:47 PM   #16

Because my frame was extended about 10" it is different than most but the problem described can happen in any boxed or enclosed part of the frame. Boxed frames on trucks have holes all over them so they can't hold water and cause rust. Same is true with steel bicycle frames. If the frames where totally sealed it would not be a problem but they are not with many mounting holes through them. I would drill small drain holes in strategic locations to allow the water to escape (my Escape). Suggest they be drilled at the rear of each member then store the trailer in a slight nose high attitude. Thanks for the heads-up!

Alan
Ace Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 10:12 AM   #17

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 'Houdini 2'

Reace - do you have any wisdom on this issue, and any suggestions as to what we can do to ensure that Houdini doesn't get rusted underwear? Any particular place we should drill holes?
Thanks, Jenny
Old 07-11-2009, 01:09 PM   #18
Commercial Member

Trailer: All Escape(s)

Hi Jenny,

Reace said to look for 2 small drain holes in the bottom of the frame under the rear bumper. If you cannot find any then any place in this area would be perfect.

Tammy
reace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 03:39 PM   #19

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddys
Reace - do you have any wisdom on this issue, and any suggestions as to what we can do to ensure that Houdini doesn't get rusted underwear? Any particular place we should drill holes?
Thanks, Jenny
Something Ian doesn't likely suffer according to stories of bouncy beds (or something like that) we heard about.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 10:12 PM   #20

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA

Just came in from the trailer (getting ready to take off again)
and while I was filling the water tank I looked at the back bumper
and thought.... does mine have water in it from the spare
tire mounting bolt hole.
So I drilled a hole and yup lots of water came out.

Now looking at the tube that holds the sewer hose and realizing that
this also is bolted down through the frame I pulled the bolt and
no water , although I did put a shot of silicone down before
I tightened the bolt back down.