weBoost 4G-X RV Cell Phone Signal Booster - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 03-24-2018, 01:27 PM   #1

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21' pulled with 2014 Silverado Crewcab
weBoost 4G-X RV Cell Phone Signal Booster

Is anyone using the the weBoost Drive 4G-X RV 470410 Cell Phone Signal Booster? We have a weBoost Sleek that works well but our phones have a snap on battery pack that gets in the way. The Sleek also runs very hot and tends to roast the phone. The Drive is multiuser as opposed to the Sleek that requires docking the phone in the cradle. According to weBoost we can use the Trucker Antenna we originally had installed by ETI. The reviews on Amazon vary from great to it does nothing. The nice thing is the phone doesn't have to be right on top of the inside antenna, although the closer the better. Apparently separation between the outside antenna and the inside can be important. With the Sleek, it seemed to work OK even though it was almost right under the outside antenna. Our outside antenna is mounted just behind the Frig on our 21'. Mounting the unit and running cables will be interesting. The inside antenna would probably be left loose so it can be moved around from one end of the trailer to another.

It's $500 USD so it would be nice to think it will workout before dropping that much coin. Thoughts?

https://www.amazon.com/weBoost-47041...+4g-x+rv&psc=1

The antenna pictured is ours and is no longer sold.
Attached Thumbnails
301119_x500.png   71-X+mkaMWL._SL1200_.jpg  

"Isn't it amazing how much stuff we get done the day before vacation?"
Zig Ziglar
skiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 01:59 PM   #2

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by skiman View Post
I

The Sleek also runs very hot and tends to roast the phone. The Drive is multiuser as opposed to the Sleek that requires docking the phone in the cradle.
Ours does run warm, that's for sure, but roast, not quite. We've been using the same phone in our cradle for 3 years and while the cradle runs on the warm side, it hasn't affected the phone.

We use our wi-fi signal booster much more but I've sometimes contemplated adding an antenna to the trailer and bringing the weboost from the truck to the trailer.

But we all like new electronics so you can test the unit and report back how well it works.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 03:17 PM   #3

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Carl- you really should call We Boost (Wilson) to get their expert advice. I don't see their products for less than they sell them for and you get 30 days to try it.

They're based in St. George, Utah and have always found them extremely knowledgeable and friendly to deal with.
800 204-1404
Old 03-24-2018, 03:36 PM   #4

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
I would also be interested in a review of the 4G-X RV booster. Like Carl, I have the Sleek booster and have the same issues with it. But I use mine with my hotspot, so there is no space for my cellphone; I'd like a booster to handle both. Unlike Carl, I'd put my booster antenna on yet another obnoxious telescoping antenna mast.

So if anyone buys the thing before we do, please post a review.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 03:38 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
Carl- you really should call We Boost (Wilson) to get their expert advice. I don't see their products for less than they sell them for and you get 30 days to try it.

They're based in St. George, Utah and have always found them extremely knowledgeable and friendly to deal with.
800 204-1404
I did talk to them about reusing the trucker antenna. Probably wouldn't hurt to discuss the antenna separation. I wonder if the 30 days only applies if you get it from them? I don't see any discounts anywhere else anyway. Thanks.

Zig Ziglar
Old 03-24-2018, 04:27 PM   #6

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
When/if I put my wife's phone is the cradle it overheats and goes into kind of a sleep mode, mine does not. Wilson told me they do run hot as it's an amplifier. I could have sent it in for a replacement but it was during a long trip, I forgot about it by the time I got home.
Old 03-24-2018, 04:53 PM   #7

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
When/if I put my wife's phone is the cradle it overheats and goes into kind of a sleep mode, mine does not. Wilson told me they do run hot as it's an amplifier. I could have sent it in for a replacement but it was during a long trip, I forgot about it by the time I got home.
I still use an older Sleek - not sure of the model number, but it is old enough that it requires using a switch to go between the AT&T & Verizon frequencies. It gets hot enough to shut down the charging of my AC791L Verizon Jetpack. I also have AT&T Mobley that seems to do OK in it.

I'd also like a whole house, dual antenna system, but I had terrible luck with the first one I had (A Wilson Car Kit from 2010). I had to have my phone or jetpack within inches of the internal antenna to get any gain, and that was with a 3 watt amplifier, larger than most of the current models.

If I get anything to replace the Sleek cradle, if will probably be a Maximum Signal Mobile, which has received good reviews at the Escapee Forum.
Old 03-24-2018, 06:14 PM   #8

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis View Post
Unlike Carl, I'd put my booster antenna on yet another obnoxious telescoping antenna mast.

Only way to go. And you were right to have your King antenna setup so that you could just raise it and use it. My separate poles and having to connect each time was a nuisance. So, like you, I've gone to the telescoping pole.

I like mounting things like my wi-fi antenna and TV antenna on poles because it eliminates drilling holes in the trailer and the way some electronics seem to become obsolete so quickly that's probably a good thing. Also my poles are long enough that it gets a bit higher in the air, better for when you have a sunblocker next to you.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 07:34 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
Only way to go. And you were right to have your King antenna setup so that you could just raise it and use it. My separate poles and having to connect each time was a nuisance. So, like you, I've gone to the telescoping pole.
Ron
Agreed. Since acquiring my telescoping aluminum mast I have encountered some alternatives. I saw these telescoping fiberglass masts on display at the Orlando Hamcation last month:

https://mgs4u.com/fiberglass-push-up-masts/

They looked nice. The mast sections are either four-foot or six-foot, and they are locked into place with UV-resistant plastic levers, not knurled rings like my TV mast. The trick is to buy one that is short enough collapsed so that you can reach the top lever. I think one of the four-foot section masts would do for me.

Getting the cellular antenna up in the air is important if you rely upon cellular voice and data communications when out in the boonies. The higher the better.

Besides, I need another antenna mast on my trailer anyway.
Old 03-25-2018, 12:04 PM   #10

Trailer: 5.0 TA 2017 Taj MaSmall
cell booster works

Had the trucker's antenna installed and goes to the inside Hershey bar interior antenna. I lean the phone against it and the cell dB goes from -125 to -75. Quite an improvement. I also shut off 4G and run the much better 3G HSDP signal. This makes a great wifi hotspot to download NetFlix
Bobnjudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 12:19 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis View Post
Getting the cellular antenna up in the air is important if you rely upon cellular voice and data communications when out in the boonies. The higher the better.
I might be wrong about this-- FCC regs might limit how high a cellular amp antenna can be above an RV; I'm not sure. In any event, the telescoping masts are good for TV and ham radio anyway. Gotta get another one.
Old 03-25-2018, 12:56 PM   #12

Info from Maximum Signal on antennas

I have more information on this. Maximum Signal sells its amps with a choice of three external antennas; you have to pick one with their order. I emailed them to ask if I could use my own antenna (a WireEng) on a telescoping mast. To my surprise a guy called me right back ("It's Sunday afternoon and I'm not doing anything, and I saw your email pop up on my screen"). He gave me the lowdown:

- Maximum Signal is required to sell their product as an amp/antenna system that has been tested with the FCC, hence the choice of three antennas when you buy their amp. What a customer does with the amp is beyond their control.

- I asked if my proposed configuration (amp, telescoping mast, WireEng antenna) would violate any regs. He said no, and if there was an interference problem their amp has 27 failsafe modes that would detect the problem and shut the amp down.

- The man said there was no height restriction for cellular amp antennas. He has customers in rural areas that have the antennas mounted on towers hundreds of feet in the air.

- He recommended the mag mount antenna, as it is easily relocatable. A friend of his found that a used circular saw blade makes a great ground plane for the magmount antenna.
Old 03-25-2018, 02:13 PM   #13

Trailer: Escape 1721
We added the Drive 4G-X which appears to basically be the same (or similar) to the 4G-X RV and it has been great for increasing service so we can work on the road.

I used the magnetic mount antenna that came with the kit and it has been great. There are others who full-time (i.e., Technomadia) who tested all types of antenna's and the magnetic mount performed very well.

I ended up using a coated plate which is intended to cover a round junction box. The plate is raised on small spacers and connected to the refrigerator vent. The wire goes down into the open space behind the fridge and enters in the upper drivers side cabinet above the dinette. I didn't want the booster to always be "on", so a switch was added. I'm very happy with the setup and have always been able to boost service (as long as there is something to boost from). The antenna hasn't moved yet.
Attached Thumbnails
Antenna_1.jpg   Antenna_2.jpg   Booster.jpg  
rotateclockwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 07:15 PM   #14

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
I still use an older Sleek - not sure of the model number, but it is old enough that it requires using a switch to go between the AT&T & Verizon frequencies. It gets hot enough to shut down the charging of my AC791L Verizon Jetpack. I also have AT&T Mobley that seems to do OK in it.

I'd also like a whole house, dual antenna system, but I had terrible luck with the first one I had (A Wilson Car Kit from 2010). I had to have my phone or jetpack within inches of the internal antenna to get any gain, and that was with a 3 watt amplifier, larger than most of the current models.

If I get anything to replace the Sleek cradle, if will probably be a Maximum Signal Mobile, which has received good reviews at the Escapee Forum.
Hey Jon- still using that unit you sold me and it works great in the trailer. It is the twin to the one we use in the car. We're using both less now that the network keeps expanding. Never had a problem with oscillation- the mag mount is near the passenger side rear of solar panel and the inside antenna is hanging on the wall between cooktop and dinette. Thanks again!
Old 03-25-2018, 07:15 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotateclockwise View Post
We added the Drive 4G-X which appears to basically be the same (or similar) to the 4G-X RV and it has been great for increasing service so we can work on the road.

I used the magnetic mount antenna that came with the kit and it has been great. There are others who full-time (i.e., Technomadia) who tested all types of antenna's and the magnetic mount performed very well.

I ended up using a coated plate which is intended to cover a round junction box. The plate is raised on small spacers and connected to the refrigerator vent. The wire goes down into the open space behind the fridge and enters in the upper drivers side cabinet above the dinette. I didn't want the booster to always be "on", so a switch was added. I'm very happy with the setup and have always been able to boost service (as long as there is something to boost from). The antenna hasn't moved yet.
Which inside antenna do you have? Where do you put it? Do you have interference issues between antennas? How close do you have to be to the inside antenna? Thanks.

Zig Ziglar
Old 03-25-2018, 07:46 PM   #16

Trailer: Escape 1721
Quote:
Originally Posted by skiman View Post
Which inside antenna do you have? Where do you put it? Do you have interference issues between antennas? How close do you have to be to the inside antenna? Thanks.
The inside antenna is the slim low profile antenna which came with the booster. It's loosely mounted inside the large rear cabinet over the dinette, passenger side. I did experience interference issues at first, but moving a little farther away eliminated the problem. We usually put a phone or Verizon jetpack right next to the internal antenna. This allows us to receive a great to decent signal on other devices (iPads, laptops, etc.) within ~20'. It's nice working outside in a camp chair overlooking a lake. Much better than being in a cube with no view.
rotateclockwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 04:48 PM   #17

Before I splurge on a new booster I think I'm going to give a Jetpack in my old Sleek a try. I can get a Jetpack on eBay for the cheaps. I can add that to our Verizon plan and take it off when we are not on the road. That should give us WiFi inside and outside close to trailer. I also may check into a separate antenna for the hotspot. Both our phones have WiFi calling. I wonder how that might work through the Sleek? Only downside is Jetpack has a 15 Gig limit so no movies through that.

Jon mentioned his Jetpack quit charging from the heat generated by the Sleek. Anyone have recommendations on a good Verizon jetpack? The Sleek could use a fan.

Zig Ziglar
Old 03-27-2018, 10:22 PM   #18
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
I've used an MHS291L for a few years now Carl, and have had zero issues in the Sleek cradle. It gets hot but doesn't affect charging. It's also small enough to fit within the little holder arms. I found if I center it, the micro USB port is accessible through the hole in the arm to charge it.
Old 03-27-2018, 10:56 PM   #19

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
I use my 5510 Jetpack in the Sleek, works fine. It does not seem to be susceptible to the heat the way my wife's phone is. I do power it all down when not in use.
Old 03-28-2018, 09:31 AM   #20

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
My Verizon branded Netgear AC791L is the Jetpack that stops charging when overheated. I solved the problem for all but the hottest weather by adding a spacer made of cardboard between the Sleek & the Jetpack. It didn't seem to have an effect on the gain. Adding a muffin fan would probably be a good idea.

By the way, my previous Jetpack had a bigger problem, although I'm not sure it was due just to the heat - the battery swelled until it pushed the back off the unit. I went through two batteries before I gave it up. I din't remember the brand, but it was the 4G Jetpack that came with the original Millicom plan.