WeBoost 4gx RV - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 08-02-2017, 08:46 AM   #1

Trailer: 2017 19
WeBoost 4gx RV

Hi all - I've learned a ton from reading threads on cell phone boosters and have purchased the WeBoost 4gx RV to be installed on our 19ft Escape. Production has not begun yet and except for this last item, our build sheet is complete. The nerdstick threads were very helpful.

So, the WeBoost comes with two antennas, one which is external and the other that is internal to the trailer. I'm thinking that the best place for the main electronic unit is to reside in an overhead bin at the rear of the trailer and that a hole could be drilled through the sidewall to run the coaxial cable externally. This would allow the maximum amount of cable to used for extending the antenna on a 'nerdstick'.

I'm having a 120v outlet placed in the over head bin to power the device. ETI said that they would be able to mount the antenna to a bracket on the side of the trailer. Down the road I may change that position, ie, build a nerdstick, if it is not working in remote areas. As a side note, it sounds like ETI will not be installing booster antennas going forward.

Is one side of the trailer better than another in terms of placement of the components?

So I'm just wondering where folks have placed their WeBoost components and whether they would have done something differently. All comments and thoughts on this are welcome, I'm just trying to sort out the details as best as possible.
SBuckner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 09:35 AM   #2

Trailer: 2017 5.0TA
We are also going to have our WeBoost cable run from the antenna to the dinette area overhead cabinet next to the fridge on the drivers side. We are having a 12 volt outlet installed in the cabinet, not 120v.
Z
Zahuta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 09:43 AM   #3
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
I mounted the antenna above an upper cabinet where it could be easily replaced if needed, with the cradle power inside the same cabinet using a 12V lighter socket. If you feel like a drive out to Hillsboro, Or you can check it out.

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 09:46 AM   #4

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zahuta View Post
We are having a 12 volt outlet installed in the cabinet, not 120v.
I have no comment on the mounting and wire routing as I do not have one of these devices, but I do agree that this should be powered by a 12V outlet since it is an option. This gives much greater flexibility and will keep the unit operational even during travel and when camping off-grid (which in my mind is where you would be more likely to need such a device to begin with).
Attached Thumbnails
In the box.JPG  
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 10:07 AM   #5

Trailer: 2017 5.0TA
Be careful about getting the exterior antenna too close to the booster unit interior antenna. Oscillation can become a real problem. I think a minimum of 8ft distance between them is recommended.
Zahuta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 10:22 AM   #6
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zahuta View Post
Be careful about getting the exterior antenna too close to the booster unit interior antenna. Oscillation can become a real problem. I think a minimum of 8ft distance between them is recommended.
True, but I mounted the booster underneath the ground plane of the antenna. No issues.

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 07:08 AM   #7

Trailer: 2017 19
Thanks for all of the input everyone!
SBuckner is offline   Reply With Quote