What are these options/modifications? - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 05-15-2015, 01:41 AM   #11

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Laura, many of the options you mention are very rare and may only have been done by one or two people. Different folks have different ideas about things that are important to them, and maybe only them, and they ask for them, or do them themselves.

We took a couple of years figuring out which trailer and getting it and the vehicle. Even after a few years lurking and on this forum, and after owning a 19' for years, there were still numerous questions on the 21'. Since you are new to RVing, you might stick with the important options that cannot be done later or not easily such as insulation and thermal package. I recommend A/C for resale as well as for yourself once in a while, and a dual water heater for electric and propane. If you familiarize yourself with the features lists and the options lists, that will help you because you can even forget which is which on those.

Sinks and faucets and stoves have to be supplied by you if you do not want the standards. I would guess that most people stick with the offered options except for maybe a thing or two. You may have some particular need such as folks who have CPAPs and want a certain set-up for that.

Seeing the 21' should help you a lot and we will look for your report on that.

float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 02:05 AM   #12

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B - "Toad". '08 Toyota RAV4 V6
This forum did not exist when I ordered my Escape 17B. Neither did the 19 or the 21 or the 5.0 TA.
I was only aware of the standard list of options, which weren't that many at the time. I mainly wanted to get my deposit in to snag the last build that would get me the trailer in time to use it all that summer.
Watching all these build lists, I've not really found anything that I would have ordered if I'd known about it. I would have gotten AC/ready, but they all have the reinforced roof now anyway. I'd probably have gone with dual 6V batteries and solar. I'd have added two or three 12V outlets ( which I could still do ).
Mainly, I would have gotten the 19, which didn't exist, and it would have had the standard upholstery, flooring and counter tops.

What happens to the hole when the cheese is gone?
- Bertolt Brecht
gbaglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 02:18 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
This forum did not exist when I ordered my Escape 17B. Neither did the 19 or the 21 or the 5.0 TA.
I was only aware of the standard list of options, which weren't that many at the time. I mainly wanted to get my deposit in to snag the last build that would get me the trailer in time to use it all that summer.
Watching all these build lists, I've not really found anything that I would have ordered if I'd known about it. I would have gotten AC/ready, but they all have the reinforced roof now anyway. I'd probably have gone with dual 6V batteries and solar. I'd have added two or three 12V outlets ( which I could still do ).
Mainly, I would have gotten the 19, which didn't exist, and it would have had the standard upholstery, flooring and counter tops.
One thing I have noticed is that the build lists are incredibly long nowadays compared to the earlier years. Our 19' build sheet was probably half (by the owners we bought from) of our 21' build sheet. The difference though is no doubt reflected in the website option offerings which would have been a much smaller list a short few years ago.

The other reason our list is as long, well maybe, is the dramatic change of the U.S. dollar in our favor which was not the case for our sellers who bought in 2011. They paid some extra.

Of course, the increase in the number of options is directly due to what people have asked for and Escape has then included on the list. Some others, Escape has made standard, such as more lights, can take A/C, mud flaps.

So, Glenn, when are you getting the new TV and your 19'?
Old 05-15-2015, 02:46 AM   #14

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2015 F150 Ecoboost
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floating Cloud View Post
So, Glenn, when are you getting the new TV and your 19'?

A good question. When?
Old 05-15-2015, 02:56 AM   #15

There'll be room for all of those cameras.
Old 05-15-2015, 03:04 AM   #16

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B - "Toad". '08 Toyota RAV4 V6
I'm in the midst of doing my first mod. I'm changing the propane detector from grey to white.
First I had to go to North Shore RV and spend so much money on something I'm not supposed to notice if things are as they should be.
Then I had to go back and ask why I shouldn't get a ten per cent discount since the detector was dated Oct. 31, 2014. I learned and so did the shop, that the detector is good for five years from the time that it is installed ( never mind the date stamp ). Or that's what their supplier claimed. I'm saving my receipt.
Then I had to go to two auto supply places to get #18-#22 connector sleeves. Watched a YouTube video and managed to cut two of them in half trying to crimp them and realized my wire strippers don't have a crimping function. Searched Canadian Tire for a proper tool. Drove wife and daughter out to Dave's Bridal in Langley for alterations. Got a proper tool while they were at Dave's.
Tomorrow, I will cut the wires on the old detector, use a Dremel to enlarge the hole the wires go through ( so that the sleeves will also go through ), and complete my first mod.
By then, the pork shoulder butt should be about ready for more hickory chips in the smoker.
Or maybe I'll do the mod Saturday.

What happens to the hole when the cheese is gone?
- Bertolt Brecht
gbaglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 03:33 AM   #17

Trailer: 5.0 TA #6, 2012 F150 EB
10. A foot pedal toilet is listed as an option. What is there normally? That's the only kind I've seen in RVs (granted, I don't have tons of experience with them).

Being tall, I never cared for the side mount handle, felt like I was sticking my head in the toilet when I flushed, so we went with the foot pedal. This may not be an issue with the Escapes, the marine toilet is set up higher then on our old trailer. Many prefer the familiar side mount.

12. Not having the range hood was mentioned. Why? The fan and light in the rental RV was pretty pathetic and I would always open the kitchen window and many times the door to vent out steam from cooking. The fan didn't do anything, so I could see not wanting it on there to save weight.

Had the hood before (non Escape), never used it, found the fan too noisy, didn't get one on the Escape. We find the Maxx Fan and the opening window do the job just fine, but then we don't cook much inside. ETI installed an extra light in it's place which I removed and put in a paper towel rack. Most folks do get the hood.

14. Double sink - is there enough room for it? Or even a larger than usual sink as it seems rather small. Gotta fit my waffle iron so it can get cleaned. (Hum, might take that tomorrow with me when viewing the 21 - good idea!)

We have the RV sized double sink, think I've only heard of 1 other with one. We like it as that's what we have at home and had in previous trailer. Fits fine in the larger 21 and 5.0 TA however most prefer more counter space over bigger sinks. Coming from a trailer with NO counter space, the double and the 3 burner stove still leave us with plenty of room. There are always the sink covers ETI provides as well as the stove cover for those times you need more room. ETI provides the double if you order it as opposed to the larger single bowls that you need to provide. We did find the push in stoppers did't work very well in the double, replaced both assemblies with a better screw down design. Larger singles would work well too, no wrong choices here, just your preferences. More sink, more counter, more burners, your choice.
Old 05-15-2015, 08:47 AM   #18

Trailer: Escape 21 November 2014; 2016 Ram Eco-diesel 4WD Crew
We like a single lever kitchen faucet with pull-out sprayer, and so bought one at Home Depot or Lowes in B.C. and provided it to ETI in advance. Keep an eye on clearance from the window shade protusion if selecting a single handle model. They would need to know well enough in advance so they only cut one hole in the Formica. Speaking of Formica, special ordering your favorite color is an option -- usually $100.
On the double sink, bear in mind that the second sink bowl means having more drain piping underneath, and losing precious kitchen storage.
Bill and Earline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 09:45 AM   #19

Trailer: 2016 Tacoma Off Road, 2017 21
I have a link that includes photographs of some of the modifications I've done to my Escape 17B. Many are now available as a factory option so the photos may help understanding them, and answer some of your questions.
Old 05-15-2015, 01:13 PM   #20

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
"T-valve", not "t-value": a valve that allows pumping plumbing antifreeze into the fresh water system to winterize.
HA! Guess I can't read my own writing. V, U - big difference, huh?

Thanks Brian B-P for your answers.