What are these options/modifications? - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 05-15-2015, 01:42 PM   #41

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeonW View Post
One of the nice things about the order/ build process is that when we first ordered, we told them approximately what options we wanted. but as we changed our mind, Escape would always send us an updated spreadsheet with our current decisions and a price. So we always knew where we were money-wise. I am sure that we tested the patience of the ETI staff, but it never showed. They were very gracious and very easy to work with, including answering many questions that mostly showed I wasn't very knowledgeable.
Ooo, this is good to know! I'm sure I'll learn lots more tonight and on Sunday from the owners.
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 01:47 PM   #42

Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014
No. 9 Hinged Table
This is an ETI installed option. It is useful for those who raise and lower the table frequently or those who may have difficulty raising the table onto the two metal legs (a difficult process for one person or someone with a back impairment). It does result in a slightly smaller table.
fudge_brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 01:50 PM   #43

Trailer: 2015 E'21 - 'Velocity'. Tow: Toyota Tacoma V6, 4X4, manual.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Cat Owner View Post
However, I was kind of wondering why everyone was deciding what to get after they had already ordered one. ...
It doesn't stop here. There are the listed options, the unlisted options, and finally, the owner supplied options.

Since Escape still doesn't offer the "combination microwave, dishwasher, washer-dryer option", I decided - as chief dishwasher - that I couldn't live without an oversized sink with a fancy faucet. (And I'm not the only one.) For scale, the frying pan is a rather large 12" diameter pan. The sink is "Franke" and the faucet is "Moen". A search of this forum should bring you to the details.

The point is: Escape - for a price that depends on the amount of labor - will install most user supplied parts if you bring (or mail) them to Chilliwack.

Your options have now become almost unlimited. And by time you are done, the trailer is completely, 100% yours. (But your bank account might become theirs.)

Stay in control and you will be alright.

--
Alan
Attached Thumbnails
kitchenA.jpg   kitchensink1B.jpg   kitchensink2C.jpg  
alanmalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 02:00 PM   #44

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Ding, ding, ding!

Royal or Impulse Blue, here we come!

Thanks for posting this.
Think about it this way. Would you paint all the walls in your living room Royal or Impulse Blue because you like blue, or would you buy some blue pillows and a blue vase?
Old 05-15-2015, 02:58 PM   #45

Trailer: Escape 21 2019
Could you share the size of your larger sink? What is the standard size sink? Working on a 21 build sheet and appreciate any help.
Thank you, Andrea
Andrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 03:16 PM   #46

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Think about it this way. Would you paint all the walls in your living room Royal or Impulse Blue because you like blue, or would you buy some blue pillows and a blue vase?
You haven't seen the walls in my crafting room (2 shades of lavender on alternating walls, kitchen (dark grey with light grey trim), hallway (sky/medium blue) and (formerly the) dining room (same blue). Or the ceiling in that room (different sky blue color for the sky with white clouds - and stamped airplanes). Hubby is standing firm on keeping the living room walls white, but that might change the next time he goes out of town. At least one, maybe two, of those walls. It hasn't been done as I haven't figured out what color to put in there - yet.

But I do understand your question and reasoning.
Old 05-15-2015, 03:23 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanmalk View Post
(snip)The point is: Escape - for a price that depends on the amount of labor - will install most user supplied parts if you bring (or mail) them to Chilliwack.

Your options have now become almost unlimited. And by time you are done, the trailer is completely, 100% yours. (snip)
--
Alan
Alan, thanks much for the photos! Greatly appreciate you taking the time to snap them (either now or in the past). I do like your reasoning and that actually would work better (for me) than a double sink (which there isn't room for, so it got crossed off my list). I'm quite intrigued by that sink and my waffle iron would probably fit in it for washing as it's a bit smaller than your pan.

So, when you supply the sink and faucet (or whatever), does a bit come off the price since they're not paying for their stock products? And yes, I know, it will cost more to have them install items that aren't stock.

Your photos also remind me - I've noticed that support pole in other photos. I understand why it's there. I was wondering if anyone has had two poles installed, so one is in the back and one at the front edge. I was wondering if that would be less prone to someone (like me!) banging into it all the time. If I can bang/walk/scrape/trip/whatever over/in/around/whatever something, I will.
Old 05-15-2015, 03:32 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by fudge_brownie View Post
No. 9 Hinged Table
This is an ETI installed option. It is useful for those who raise and lower the table frequently or those who may have difficulty raising the table onto the two metal legs (a difficult process for one person or someone with a back impairment). It does result in a slightly smaller table.

Oooo, thanks for this. Very helpful, to say the least. I know I'd have a heck of a time putting it back and since I lack patience, I'd probably end up flinging it on the floor when it didn't work, blistering the air blue with verbage and stomping off.

I could live with a slightly smaller table. If I don't go with the u-shaped dinette, of course.
Old 05-15-2015, 05:05 PM   #49

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
OK all this talk is giving me two foot itis. I might order a 19 ft , 21 ft, or a 5.0 TA in the next few years. I bought used so i didn't get the fun of the ordering /picking out all the goodies. But I am very happy with my little trailer!
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 06:46 PM   #50

Trailer: Bigfoot 25' 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox hunt View Post
OK all this talk is giving me two foot itis. I might order a 19 ft , 21 ft, or a 5.0 TA in the next few years. I bought used so i didn't get the fun of the ordering /picking out all the goodies. But I am very happy with my little trailer!
No, no. That's the wrong way to think about it. Buying a used Escape relieve you of stressing over the build options. Someone else already did all that work for you. Worked for us.
currinh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 08:37 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrea View Post
Could you share the size of your larger sink? What is the standard size sink? Working on a 21 build sheet and appreciate any help.
Thank you, Andrea
Here is a link to the sink. Home Depot had the best price.
FrankeUSA Top Mount Stainless Steel 19.125x17x8 2-Hole Single Bowl Bar Sink-BMSK802 - The Home Depot

I have lost the drawing of the standard sink that ETI sent me. I'm sure they would be happy to forward you a copy. From my porous memory, I recall the standard sink was an inch or two smaller in all dimensions.

Another poster asked about the support pole. ETI will be the best source of information, of course. But from what I know, they will be reluctant to make changes to the structural design of the trailers. All that furniture has a dual purpose: One is to provide a foundation for the fiberglass shell.

--
Alan
Old 05-15-2015, 08:53 PM   #52

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
ETI will be the best source of information, of course. But from what I know, they will be reluctant to make changes to the structural design of the trailers. All that furniture has a dual purpose: One is to provide a foundation for the fiberglass shell.
That sounds about right to me. As I recall, Chris who did the nice custom interiors in both a 17-foot (New inside mods, Escape 17) and a 5.0TA (2015 5.0 TA Modifications) bought the trailer with just the framework of the kitchen cabinet... but the factory did put in that framework.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 10:26 PM   #53

Quote:
Another poster asked about the support pole. ETI will be the best source of information, of course. But from what I know, they will be reluctant to make changes to the structural design of the trailers. All that furniture has a dual purpose: One is to provide a foundation for the fiberglass shell.
That was me that had a question about it. But, after viewing the 21' this evening, I can see that was a silly question. I thought the overhead cabinets went out farther than they did, but once I saw it, I can see why the pole is where it is.

It's also a good handhold when you wander past the kitchen towards the door!
Old 05-15-2015, 10:32 PM   #54
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Laura, just so you know we affectionally call that support pole... the striper pole

Just trying to help you out for your archive search....
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 11:01 PM   #55

Okay, we just got back from viewing the 21'. WOW!

Okay, learned lots of things, of which a few are:

The ceiling and walls are padded! Very nice to the touch and even better if I bang an elbow against the wall while in bed or the dinette. This is mentioned on their site, but I did not understand what it meant.

Lots more room in the bathroom than I thought there would be. Not even sure if I'd need to remove the sink, so that was great to see.

The bed fits!!!! That's a major concern for me and I was very pleased with it. Poor Tom did not quite realize what I meant when I warned him I'd be flopping on the bed. Now he does - it means I'm laying on that bed to see if it fits me. And flopping around from side to side and flinging my feet around to make sure they don't hang over the edge.

I can see the advantage of adding another cabinet on top of the one already there by the foot of the bed. I'm not a "watch TV in bed" sort of person and using my laptop at the dinette would work just fine for my DVDs. But seeing it in person made me realize the advantage of that modification. Spend money on the extra cabinet/shelves/drawers, but save money on not getting any of the TV stuff.

Definitely don't want the range hood.

One thing that did not thrill me in the least and I'm wondering what others have done to overcome this. When you sit in the dinette (standard, not u-shaped), how do you keep from banging your shoulder into the bottom of the curtain holder? Holy Cow - first thing I did was bang my shoulder in it. Not impressed, to put it mildly.

AND - I did not know the dinette table shifts from side to side to make it easier to get in and out!!!! WOW!!!! (Yeah, okay, I have not read all the threads here, but this is something that should be mentioned on their web site - holy cow!!! That was cooler than cool!)

We were there for 2.5 hours so we got a very thorough understanding of the 21' specifically and differences between it and the other sizes we're interested in. On Sunday we're viewing the 19' and 5.0TA. (Don't worry owners, I don't expect to spend that long at each of your trailers.) Gotta charge up the camera battery as one died while we were there this evening.

Tom - many from Dirk and I
Old 05-15-2015, 11:03 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Laura, just so you know we affectionately call that support pole... the stripper pole

Just trying to help you out for your archive search....
Yes, I was informed of that this evening. Too funny!

Maybe I should spiff up a B*#@ie doll as Stripper B*#@ie (don't want to spell the name out in full and get in trouble) and attach her to it.

Old 05-16-2015, 12:02 AM   #57
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zardoz View Post
Laura,

For me, the most frivolous option is a digital thermostat. I don't find moving the lever on the stock analog unit too onerous. But I assure you that I am in the minority.

- Rich
I prefer having the fan running only when the unit is in a heating or cooling cycle compared to roaring constantly whenever heat or cool mode is selected. The digital thermostat is required for that feature.

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 12:06 AM   #58

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Yes, we decided to go with it despite the cost after hearing that it is worth plenty to those who have it. I note that it is apparently now with the A/C as a package for the 2016's so do not know if there is a choice on orders not in yet.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 02:03 AM   #59
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post
I prefer having the fan running only when the unit is in a heating or cooling cycle compared to roaring constantly whenever heat or cool mode is selected. The digital thermostat is required for that feature.

Absolutely agree. Love that the AC only runs when it's actively cooling instead of constant. The digital thermostat wasn't frivolous at all.
Old 05-16-2015, 09:12 AM   #60

Quote:
Okay, we just got back from viewing the 21'. WOW!
Definitely don't want the range hood.
We skipped both the range hood and the A/C. In their place, ordered two Maxx Fans. When needed, we use one on intake and the other on exhaust. This seems very effective so far. They can hardly be heard on the lowest setting and take tiny sips of 12v battery power. The aesthetic improvement in my opinion was worth the potential downside of not visiting hot-humid parts of the country in summer.

--
Alan