What are these options/modifications? - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 05-14-2015, 10:32 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
NW Cat Owner's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Seatac, Washington
Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Posts: 2,838
What are these options/modifications?

Okay, I spent all day reading through the forum, while catching up on some of my TV shows I missed while I was on the month-long road trip in the rental RV. I've made oodles of notes. I was mostly reading about various options - both on and off the list options. Many of them I'm very clueless about (very new to this whole RVing life), so thought I'd ask what the heck they are or why you'd want 'em. Others I really like, such as adding another cabinet above the one there currently in the 21'. One can never have enough cabinet space in my opinion.

Thanks for any and all answers! Here they are, in no particular order:

1. Did the vents in the bathroom door help with heat/cold distribution as well as reducing any condensation?

2. Someone mentioned reversing the bed and dinette, but I forgot to write down which trailer it was and I'm not going back through 30+ pages of options from 3 different threads. Anyone know? And why reverse? Did it make a difference in towing as the weight distribution was changed?

3. Was the drawer under the 21' bed done by ETI? It looked great!

4. A few times it was mentioned removing the bathroom sink. Has this made a big enough difference in using the bathroom's shower and/or toilet? I never used the sink in the rental and just washed my hands in the kitchen sink.

5. Someone (Donna A, I think) mentioned getting a different kitchen sink and faucet. Has anyone supplied (or does ETI supply) a faucet with the lever instead of two handles? I have tendonitis and the lever type are far easier for me to use as I can use my wrist when my hands hurt.

6. Venting in enclosed storage cabinets. Was this really worthwhile?

7. I don't see it listed in the brochures - is there a black tank flush? Can it be added if there isn't? I don't see it listed as an option or a standard feature.

8. Are Umbra hooks really good? I kept seeing mention of them. As well as Command something-or-other. Are these the only kinds to use in an RV?

9. Several times a hinged dinette table was mentioned. I don't plan to take the dinette down very often to make into a bed (I told hubby he snores loud enough that being across the trailer won't make a difference, so it'd be better if he's in the same bed so I can keep poking him awake - HA!), but I'm wondering which would be better for my feet not to bang into - a hinged or pedestal table. As well as which travels better while on the road.

10. A foot pedal toilet is listed as an option. What is there normally? That's the only kind I've seen in RVs (granted, I don't have tons of experience with them).

11. Somebody reversed their sink and stove (don't remember which trailer it was). Why do this? Was it worthwhile? Or would others want to do that if they had thought of it?

12. Not having the range hood was mentioned. Why? The fan and light in the rental RV was pretty pathetic and I would always open the kitchen window and many times the door to vent out steam from cooking. The fan didn't do anything, so I could see not wanting it on there to save weight.

13. What's a battery monitor cable?

14. Double sink - is there enough room for it? Or even a larger than usual sink as it seems rather small. Gotta fit my waffle iron so it can get cleaned. (Hum, might take that tomorrow with me when viewing the 21 - good idea!)

15. LED indicator switch for hot water heater? Huh? Why? What is there normally?

16. This was not mentioned directly, although Donna did say she uses a double bed mattress in her 5.0 instead of a queen. Can the pedestal for the bed be smaller so a smaller bed would be up there and you could walk around it? It doesn't look like you can walk around the bed from the photos on their site. That looks very awkward, to say the least. I can't really crawl around on my knees to get into bed all the time.

17. What are stabilizer pads?

18. A screen room was mentioned and I saw it on their site. Having never seen one in person, how all do they work? Do you have a flap for going in and out that kind of keeps down the bugs from getting in? Is the flap magnetic? Does the screen room fit tightly against the trailer to keep the bug population down somewhat? If not, what's the point of one?

19. Do they have a pull-out sprayer kitchen faucet option or is that one you have to supply?

20. Custom graphics was mentioned. What were they and why? Just to make yours different looking from others? And where do you purchase them? (Any with cats?)

21. Flush mounted sink and stove. Why? Did you have to supply them yourself?

22. Wall switches by the door was mentioned. Where are they normally? Or do you reach up to turn off the lights in the ceiling instead of one main switch for all of them?

23. Winterizing t-value? What the heck is a t-value?

24. Digital thermostat - as opposed to what?

25. Someone said they didn't like the 9" vent in the bathroom as he didn't know if he'd be able to replace it if it got broken. Is this a problem? Either with breakage or replacement.

WHEW!
__________________

__________________
Laura, Dirk and Spike & Sam & Jasper (the cats)
www.UnderKittySupervision.com
My blog: https://www.underkittysupervision.co...upervisioncom/
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 10:40 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: SLO County CA, California
Trailer: 2014 21
Posts: 3,363
Hmm...are you sure you're not from Chilliwack? Or if not, and since you know how to start a few threads, and since you know Donna D. did a custom sink you must know most, if not all your questions have been asked/answered a time or two. Just wondering.
__________________

Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 10:47 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Signal Mountain (Chattanooga), Tennessee
Trailer: Escape 21 November 2014; 2016 Ram Eco-diesel 4WD Crew
Posts: 476
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Cat Owner View Post
Okay, I spent all day reading through the forum, while catching up on some of my TV shows I missed while I was on the month-long road trip in the rental RV. I've made oodles of notes. I was mostly reading about various options - both on and off the list options. Many of them I'm very clueless about (very new to this whole RVing life), so thought I'd ask what the heck they are or why you'd want 'em. Others I really like, such as adding another cabinet above the one there currently in the 21'. One can never have enough cabinet space in my opinion.

Thanks for any and all answers! Here they are, in no particular order:

1. Did the vents in the bathroom door help with heat/cold distribution as well as reducing any condensation?

2. Someone mentioned reversing the bed and dinette, but I forgot to write down which trailer it was and I'm not going back through 30+ pages of options from 3 different threads. Anyone know? And why reverse? Did it make a difference in towing as the weight distribution was changed?

3. Was the drawer under the 21' bed done by ETI? It looked great!

4. A few times it was mentioned removing the bathroom sink. Has this made a big enough difference in using the bathroom's shower and/or toilet? I never used the sink in the rental and just washed my hands in the kitchen sink.

5. Someone (Donna A, I think) mentioned getting a different kitchen sink and faucet. Has anyone supplied (or does ETI supply) a faucet with the lever instead of two handles? I have tendonitis and the lever type are far easier for me to use as I can use my wrist when my hands hurt.

6. Venting in enclosed storage cabinets. Was this really worthwhile?

7. I don't see it listed in the brochures - is there a black tank flush? Can it be added if there isn't? I don't see it listed as an option or a standard feature.

8. Are Umbra hooks really good? I kept seeing mention of them. As well as Command something-or-other. Are these the only kinds to use in an RV?

9. Several times a hinged dinette table was mentioned. I don't plan to take the dinette down very often to make into a bed (I told hubby he snores loud enough that being across the trailer won't make a difference, so it'd be better if he's in the same bed so I can keep poking him awake - HA!), but I'm wondering which would be better for my feet not to bang into - a hinged or pedestal table. As well as which travels better while on the road.

10. A foot pedal toilet is listed as an option. What is there normally? That's the only kind I've seen in RVs (granted, I don't have tons of experience with them).

11. Somebody reversed their sink and stove (don't remember which trailer it was). Why do this? Was it worthwhile? Or would others want to do that if they had thought of it?

12. Not having the range hood was mentioned. Why? The fan and light in the rental RV was pretty pathetic and I would always open the kitchen window and many times the door to vent out steam from cooking. The fan didn't do anything, so I could see not wanting it on there to save weight.

13. What's a battery monitor cable?

14. Double sink - is there enough room for it? Or even a larger than usual sink as it seems rather small. Gotta fit my waffle iron so it can get cleaned. (Hum, might take that tomorrow with me when viewing the 21 - good idea!)

15. LED indicator switch for hot water heater? Huh? Why? What is there normally?

16. This was not mentioned directly, although Donna did say she uses a double bed mattress in her 5.0 instead of a queen. Can the pedestal for the bed be smaller so a smaller bed would be up there and you could walk around it? It doesn't look like you can walk around the bed from the photos on their site. That looks very awkward, to say the least. I can't really crawl around on my knees to get into bed all the time.

17. What are stabilizer pads?

18. A screen room was mentioned and I saw it on their site. Having never seen one in person, how all do they work? Do you have a flap for going in and out that kind of keeps down the bugs from getting in? Is the flap magnetic? Does the screen room fit tightly against the trailer to keep the bug population down somewhat? If not, what's the point of one?

19. Do they have a pull-out sprayer kitchen faucet option or is that one you have to supply?

20. Custom graphics was mentioned. What were they and why? Just to make yours different looking from others? And where do you purchase them? (Any with cats?)

21. Flush mounted sink and stove. Why? Did you have to supply them yourself?

22. Wall switches by the door was mentioned. Where are they normally? Or do you reach up to turn off the lights in the ceiling instead of one main switch for all of them?

23. Winterizing t-value? What the heck is a t-value?

24. Digital thermostat - as opposed to what?

25. Someone said they didn't like the 9" vent in the bathroom as he didn't know if he'd be able to replace it if it got broken. Is this a problem? Either with breakage or replacement.

WHEW!
Laura,
If you're visiting the 21 owner I think you are, just take your list and go over all your items with him. He is exceptionally knowledgeable and will enjoy showing you all his modifications.
Plan to stay a good long while, and bring your camera or smart phone.
Bill
Bill and Earline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 10:56 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
NW Cat Owner's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Seatac, Washington
Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Posts: 2,838
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
Hmm...are you sure you're not from Chilliwack? Or if not, and since you know how to start a few threads, and since you know Donna D. did a custom sink you must know most, if not all your questions have been asked/answered a time or two. Just wondering.
Actually, no I do not know my questions have already been asked and answered. As mentioned to me on the phone this evening by the owner of the 21' I'm viewing tomorrow, one can spend months on this forum. And since I've only been here for a few days, I've not had time to read every single thread and post. So, sorry to ask questions again. Just ignore this thread then if you're not happy with my questions.

Gawd, what a way to kill a good feeling about this forum.

Signing off now for the night.
__________________
Laura, Dirk and Spike & Sam & Jasper (the cats)
www.UnderKittySupervision.com
My blog: https://www.underkittysupervision.co...upervisioncom/
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 11:15 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: SLO County CA, California
Trailer: 2014 21
Posts: 3,363
"Okay, I spent all day reading through the forum" was your opening statement. Sorry if I was wrong and offended you.
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 11:19 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Posts: 11,805
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Cat Owner View Post
16. This was not mentioned directly, although Donna did say she uses a double bed mattress in her 5.0 instead of a queen. Can the pedestal for the bed be smaller so a smaller bed would be up there and you could walk around it? It doesn't look like you can walk around the bed from the photos on their site. That looks very awkward, to say the least. I can't really crawl around on my knees to get into bed all the time.
RV trailers which go up over the truck box ("fifth-wheels") come in
  • high profile (height to walk upright around the bed in the bedroom)
  • medium profile (height to walk around the bed crouching)
  • low profile? (height to crawl into the bed)

The original fifth-wheels were all low. Combined horse trailers / RV trailers (which seems obscure, but there are probably more of them then there are Escapes) are all low. If the Escape 5.0 were high profile, it would be much taller and not practical to tow with a small truck.

The mattress is directly on the floor deck of the bedroom loft; there is no pedestal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Cat Owner View Post
17. What are stabilizer pads?
Pads or feet which are attached to the end of the stabilizers, especially useful for soft campsite surfaces.
BAL foot pad page

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Cat Owner View Post
23. Winterizing t-value? What the heck is a t-value?
"T-valve", not "t-value": a valve that allows pumping plumbing antifreeze into the fresh water system to winterize.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 11:25 PM   #7
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Spokane, Washington
Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Posts: 34
Laura, we just purchased a 2014 21' several months back, and our first trip will be going to the rally in Osoyoos. And even though I have been following this forum religiously ever since, I still was not able to answer a lot of your questions. So I very much appreciated them and look forward to any of the answers. If you come to the rally, please look us up. We hope we get to meet you and hubby.

David and Bonnie
ddeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 11:28 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
gbaglo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: North Vancouver, British Columbia
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B - "Toad". '08 Toyota RAV4 V6
Posts: 13,674
A lot of Escape owners have gone with the Umbra, so they must be attractive and practical.
I've gone with the 3M Command hooks. I like them because they can be removed and moved without damage to the surface. I started with white plastic and then replaced those with the brushed nickle ( except in the shower where they are still white ). I've put up hooks and then removed them because they didn't work as desired. ( for instance I had one on the side of the fridge above the bed, but found that I got tangled in a shirt hung on that hook while sleeping. OK for hanging a hat.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3M hooks and check list.jpg (141.7 KB, 17 views)
__________________
2009 Escape 17B "Toad"
2008 Toyota RAV4 V6 Sport
North Vancouver, British Columbia

What happens to the hole when the cheese is gone?
- Bertolt Brecht
gbaglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 11:57 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
currinh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Box Elder, South Dakota
Trailer: Escape 19' 2011
Posts: 346
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Cat Owner View Post
5. Someone (Donna A, I think) mentioned getting a different kitchen sink and faucet. Has anyone supplied (or does ETI supply) a faucet with the lever instead of two handles? I have tendonitis and the lever type are far easier for me to use as I can use my wrist when my hands hurt.

19. Do they have a pull-out sprayer kitchen faucet option or is that one you have to supply?
I'm not sure but I suspect a house faucet will work. If it fits the holes and isn't too big one could be substituted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Cat Owner View Post
11. Somebody reversed their sink and stove (don't remember which trailer it was). Why do this? Was it worthwhile? Or would others want to do that if they had thought of it?

12. Not having the range hood was mentioned. Why? The fan and light in the rental RV was pretty pathetic and I would always open the kitchen window and many times the door to vent out steam from cooking. The fan didn't do anything, so I could see not wanting it on there to save weight.
We have a 19 we obtained used. The previous owners had the stove and sink reversed. This would put the range hood near the door and interfere with getting in and out plus sight lines. But they took out the range hood also so everything is fine. The overhead fan seems to be enough ventilation for cooking so we haven't missed the hood. I like this arrangement but haven't used the stock set-up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Cat Owner View Post
14. Double sink - is there enough room for it? Or even a larger than usual sink as it seems rather small. Gotta fit my waffle iron so it can get cleaned. (Hum, might take that tomorrow with me when viewing the 21 - good idea!)
No, there isn't enough room for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Cat Owner View Post
15. LED indicator switch for hot water heater? Huh? Why? What is there normally?
There is no indication the water heater is on. If left on it'll use excess propane and, if the hot water tank were drained (for storage) it could hurt it. We've done fine remembering it's on and a glance at the on/off switch tell its state, but not as noticeable as a light.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Cat Owner View Post
21. Flush mounted sink and stove. Why? Did you have to supply them yourself?
I doubt ETI would install a flush mount sink, doesn't hurt to ask. We have one in our 1955 Shasta (renovated) and like it. As in the house, it's nice to wipe stuff right into the sink without a lip getting in the way. We had to look a long time, and jump through a lot of loops, to get and install a flush mount sink.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Cat Owner View Post
999. What about raising the dinette in the 19?
We raised the dinette in our 19 and its a pain after manufacture. It's an option that ETI will do and I suggest considering it. I don't think it can be combined with the cot option, but if you don't need that... Be sure to sit at the dinette of a 19 and see it the seats are high enough for you before ordering.

P.S. There is a fiberglass trailer rally in Bandon July 17-19. It's a good place to see other brands of fiberglass trailers if interested.

PPSS. You may be the only person to define their build list BEFORE deciding to purchase an Escape. This takes most people 6+ months after ordering. Way to go.
__________________
Hugh Currin
2011 Escape 19
2018 RAM 2500 Diesel
currinh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 12:31 AM   #10
Site Team
 
rbryan4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Canyon Lake, Texas
Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2018 F150 2.7L Ecoboost
Posts: 9,465
Did the vents in the bathroom door help with heat/cold distribution as well as reducing any condensation?
Don’t know. It’s a mod by an owner – not the factory.

2. Someone mentioned reversing the bed and dinette, but I forgot to write down which trailer it was and I'm not going back through 30+ pages of options from 3 different threads. Anyone know? And why reverse? Did it make a difference in towing as the weight distribution was changed?
You can reverse the bed and the dinette on the 19, which puts the bed (albeit a little smaller one) up front, and provides for a very large lounge area in the back. Some have done it.
3. Was the drawer under the 21' bed done by ETI? It looked great!
Owner’s mod.
4. A few times it was mentioned removing the bathroom sink. Has this made a big enough difference in using the bathroom's shower and/or toilet? I never used the sink in the rental and just washed my hands in the kitchen sink.
The sink is quite small, and therefore some don’t consider it useful. We use ours to brush our teeth instead of at the kitchen sink.
5. Someone (Donna A, I think) mentioned getting a different kitchen sink and faucet. Has anyone supplied (or does ETI supply) a faucet with the lever instead of two handles? I have tendonitis and the lever type are far easier for me to use as I can use my wrist when my hands hurt.
You can get a single lever faucet and/or custom sink (a bar sink works well) and have Escape install it. They don’t supply it. The only caveat is SIZE. Make sure the one you get fits.
6. Venting in enclosed storage cabinets. Was this really worthwhile?
Don’t know. Owner’s mod.
7. I don't see it listed in the brochures - is there a black tank flush? Can it be added if there isn't? I don't see it listed as an option or a standard feature.
Escape “may” install a Tornado or similar device if you supply it. Ask.
8. Are Umbra hooks really good? I kept seeing mention of them. As well as Command something-or-other. Are these the only kinds to use in an RV?
We have two sets of Umbra hooks, and yes, they’re “really good”. Command Hooks work well too. We liked the look of the Umbras. Again, you supply them to Escape.
9. Several times a hinged dinette table was mentioned. I don't plan to take the dinette down very often to make into a bed (I told hubby he snores loud enough that being across the trailer won't make a difference, so it'd be better if he's in the same bed so I can keep poking him awake - HA!), but I'm wondering which would be better for my feet not to bang into - a hinged or pedestal table. As well as which travels better while on the road.
Owner’s mod. Not done by Escape.
10. A foot pedal toilet is listed as an option. What is there normally? That's the only kind I've seen in RVs (granted, I don't have tons of experience with them).
The normal toilet is a lever flush, which is on the side of the bowl. The foot flush means we don’t have to bend over the bowl to flush. A small thing, but we like it.
11. Somebody reversed their sink and stove (don't remember which trailer it was). Why do this? Was it worthwhile? Or would others want to do that if they had thought of it?
Some like the sink by the bed or lounge area, and some like the stovetop there. Your choice. The standard location is sink by the door, stove by the lounge/bed.
12. Not having the range hood was mentioned. Why? The fan and light in the rental RV was pretty pathetic and I would always open the kitchen window and many times the door to vent out steam from cooking. The fan didn't do anything, so I could see not wanting it on there to save weight.
Some omit the range hood because they feel the Maxx Fan roof vent and an opening window are fine to eliminate cooking odors, or because they don’t cook a lot inside. It also makes the kitchen area feel a bit roomier, and means one less hole in the shell. We like the hood. Your choice.
13. What's a battery monitor cable?
A cable run so that you can attach a battery monitor.
14. Double sink - is there enough room for it? Or even a larger than usual sink as it seems rather small. Gotta fit my waffle iron so it can get cleaned. (Hum, might take that tomorrow with me when viewing the 21 - good idea!)
No room for a double sink, nor for a deep well sink beyond more than about 7 or 8 inches.
15. LED indicator switch for hot water heater? Huh? Why? What is there normally?
The LED switch means when the heater is on, you have a light. It’s just a reminder for those who might forget to shut off the water heater.
16. This was not mentioned directly, although Donna did say she uses a double bed mattress in her 5.0 instead of a queen. Can the pedestal for the bed be smaller so a smaller bed would be up there and you could walk around it? It doesn't look like you can walk around the bed from the photos on their site. That looks very awkward, to say the least. I can't really crawl around on my knees to get into bed all the time.
It’s not that awkward. There’s quite a bit of headroom considering it’s a compact 5th wheel. And no, you can’t make the “pedestal” smaller. Having a smaller mattress means space on the sides. It also makes bed making easier. Personal choice.
17. What are stabilizer pads?
Metal pads that attach to the stabilizer arms. They prevent the stabilizer arms from sinking in to the ground.
18. A screen room was mentioned and I saw it on their site. Having never seen one in person, how all do they work? Do you have a flap for going in and out that kind of keeps down the bugs from getting in? Is the flap magnetic? Does the screen room fit tightly against the trailer to keep the bug population down somewhat? If not, what's the point of one?
The flap isn’t magnetic. There’s a zipper as far as I know. It attaches to the trailer with snaps, and attaches to the awning.
19. Do they have a pull-out sprayer kitchen faucet option or is that one you have to supply?
You supply it. Again, make sure it will fit.
20. Custom graphics was mentioned. What were they and why? Just to make yours different looking from others? And where do you purchase them? (Any with cats?)
You have a choice of dozens of colors for the standard graphics (stripes and logos with a swirl design in the back). Escape supplies you with the color chart to choose. Some have also supplied or arranged for the graphic supplier used by Escape to apply a truly custom graphic. These are one offs, and you have to arrange it – Escape doesn’t.
21. Flush mounted sink and stove. Why? Did you have to supply them yourself?
You supply it. Some like the look.
22. Wall switches by the door was mentioned. Where are they normally? Or do you reach up to turn off the lights in the ceiling instead of one main switch for all of them?
Usually they control the central interior light and the exterior (porch) lights. The porch lights are an option, as are the switches. You can choose the location. Many put them on the door jamb. We put one there, and the other two on the end of the overhead cabinet. Your choice.
23. Winterizing t-value? What the heck is a t-value?
Allows you to winterize the trailer (fill the water lines with antifreeze) more easily.
24. Digital thermostat - as opposed to what?
As opposed to a manual one for AC and a separate manual one for Heat. The digital thermostat means you control both at one location, like in your home. If you don’t have AC, it controls the heat.

25. Someone said they didn't like the 9" vent in the bathroom as he didn't know if he'd be able to replace it if it got broken. Is this a problem? Either with breakage or replacement.
Don’t know. Ours works fine. It’s a push up vent with a fan. They’re common.
__________________
"You can't buy happiness, but you can buy an RV. And that is pretty close."
rbryan4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 12:41 AM   #11
Senior Member
 
float5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Denison, Texas
Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Posts: 5,156
Laura, many of the options you mention are very rare and may only have been done by one or two people. Different folks have different ideas about things that are important to them, and maybe only them, and they ask for them, or do them themselves.

We took a couple of years figuring out which trailer and getting it and the vehicle. Even after a few years lurking and on this forum, and after owning a 19' for years, there were still numerous questions on the 21'. Since you are new to RVing, you might stick with the important options that cannot be done later or not easily such as insulation and thermal package. I recommend A/C for resale as well as for yourself once in a while, and a dual water heater for electric and propane. If you familiarize yourself with the features lists and the options lists, that will help you because you can even forget which is which on those.

Sinks and faucets and stoves have to be supplied by you if you do not want the standards. I would guess that most people stick with the offered options except for maybe a thing or two. You may have some particular need such as folks who have CPAPs and want a certain set-up for that.

Seeing the 21' should help you a lot and we will look for your report on that.
__________________
Cathy. Floating Cloud
"Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air.... "
Emerson
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 01:05 AM   #12
Senior Member
 
gbaglo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: North Vancouver, British Columbia
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B - "Toad". '08 Toyota RAV4 V6
Posts: 13,674
This forum did not exist when I ordered my Escape 17B. Neither did the 19 or the 21 or the 5.0 TA.
I was only aware of the standard list of options, which weren't that many at the time. I mainly wanted to get my deposit in to snag the last build that would get me the trailer in time to use it all that summer.
Watching all these build lists, I've not really found anything that I would have ordered if I'd known about it. I would have gotten AC/ready, but they all have the reinforced roof now anyway. I'd probably have gone with dual 6V batteries and solar. I'd have added two or three 12V outlets ( which I could still do ).
Mainly, I would have gotten the 19, which didn't exist, and it would have had the standard upholstery, flooring and counter tops.
__________________
2009 Escape 17B "Toad"
2008 Toyota RAV4 V6 Sport
North Vancouver, British Columbia

What happens to the hole when the cheese is gone?
- Bertolt Brecht
gbaglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 01:18 AM   #13
Senior Member
 
float5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Denison, Texas
Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Posts: 5,156
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
This forum did not exist when I ordered my Escape 17B. Neither did the 19 or the 21 or the 5.0 TA.
I was only aware of the standard list of options, which weren't that many at the time. I mainly wanted to get my deposit in to snag the last build that would get me the trailer in time to use it all that summer.
Watching all these build lists, I've not really found anything that I would have ordered if I'd known about it. I would have gotten AC/ready, but they all have the reinforced roof now anyway. I'd probably have gone with dual 6V batteries and solar. I'd have added two or three 12V outlets ( which I could still do ).
Mainly, I would have gotten the 19, which didn't exist, and it would have had the standard upholstery, flooring and counter tops.
One thing I have noticed is that the build lists are incredibly long nowadays compared to the earlier years. Our 19' build sheet was probably half (by the owners we bought from) of our 21' build sheet. The difference though is no doubt reflected in the website option offerings which would have been a much smaller list a short few years ago.

The other reason our list is as long, well maybe, is the dramatic change of the U.S. dollar in our favor which was not the case for our sellers who bought in 2011. They paid some extra.

Of course, the increase in the number of options is directly due to what people have asked for and Escape has then included on the list. Some others, Escape has made standard, such as more lights, can take A/C, mud flaps.

So, Glenn, when are you getting the new TV and your 19'?
__________________
Cathy. Floating Cloud
"Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air.... "
Emerson
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 01:46 AM   #14
Site Team
 
rbryan4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Canyon Lake, Texas
Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2018 F150 2.7L Ecoboost
Posts: 9,465
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floating Cloud View Post
So, Glenn, when are you getting the new TV and your 19'?

A good question. When?
__________________
"You can't buy happiness, but you can buy an RV. And that is pretty close."
rbryan4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 01:56 AM   #15
Senior Member
 
float5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Denison, Texas
Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Posts: 5,156
There'll be room for all of those cameras.
__________________
Cathy. Floating Cloud
"Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air.... "
Emerson
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 02:04 AM   #16
Senior Member
 
gbaglo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: North Vancouver, British Columbia
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B - "Toad". '08 Toyota RAV4 V6
Posts: 13,674
I'm in the midst of doing my first mod. I'm changing the propane detector from grey to white.
First I had to go to North Shore RV and spend so much money on something I'm not supposed to notice if things are as they should be.
Then I had to go back and ask why I shouldn't get a ten per cent discount since the detector was dated Oct. 31, 2014. I learned and so did the shop, that the detector is good for five years from the time that it is installed ( never mind the date stamp ). Or that's what their supplier claimed. I'm saving my receipt.
Then I had to go to two auto supply places to get #18-#22 connector sleeves. Watched a YouTube video and managed to cut two of them in half trying to crimp them and realized my wire strippers don't have a crimping function. Searched Canadian Tire for a proper tool. Drove wife and daughter out to Dave's Bridal in Langley for alterations. Got a proper tool while they were at Dave's.
Tomorrow, I will cut the wires on the old detector, use a Dremel to enlarge the hole the wires go through ( so that the sleeves will also go through ), and complete my first mod.
By then, the pork shoulder butt should be about ready for more hickory chips in the smoker.
Or maybe I'll do the mod Saturday.
__________________
2009 Escape 17B "Toad"
2008 Toyota RAV4 V6 Sport
North Vancouver, British Columbia

What happens to the hole when the cheese is gone?
- Bertolt Brecht
gbaglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 02:33 AM   #17
Site Team
 
padlin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Southwick, Massachusetts
Trailer: 5.0 TA #6, 2012 F150 EB
Posts: 5,764
10. A foot pedal toilet is listed as an option. What is there normally? That's the only kind I've seen in RVs (granted, I don't have tons of experience with them).

Being tall, I never cared for the side mount handle, felt like I was sticking my head in the toilet when I flushed, so we went with the foot pedal. This may not be an issue with the Escapes, the marine toilet is set up higher then on our old trailer. Many prefer the familiar side mount.

12. Not having the range hood was mentioned. Why? The fan and light in the rental RV was pretty pathetic and I would always open the kitchen window and many times the door to vent out steam from cooking. The fan didn't do anything, so I could see not wanting it on there to save weight.

Had the hood before (non Escape), never used it, found the fan too noisy, didn't get one on the Escape. We find the Maxx Fan and the opening window do the job just fine, but then we don't cook much inside. ETI installed an extra light in it's place which I removed and put in a paper towel rack. Most folks do get the hood.

14. Double sink - is there enough room for it? Or even a larger than usual sink as it seems rather small. Gotta fit my waffle iron so it can get cleaned. (Hum, might take that tomorrow with me when viewing the 21 - good idea!)

We have the RV sized double sink, think I've only heard of 1 other with one. We like it as that's what we have at home and had in previous trailer. Fits fine in the larger 21 and 5.0 TA however most prefer more counter space over bigger sinks. Coming from a trailer with NO counter space, the double and the 3 burner stove still leave us with plenty of room. There are always the sink covers ETI provides as well as the stove cover for those times you need more room. ETI provides the double if you order it as opposed to the larger single bowls that you need to provide. We did find the push in stoppers did't work very well in the double, replaced both assemblies with a better screw down design. Larger singles would work well too, no wrong choices here, just your preferences. More sink, more counter, more burners, your choice.
__________________
Happy Motoring
Bob
padlin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 07:47 AM   #18
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Signal Mountain (Chattanooga), Tennessee
Trailer: Escape 21 November 2014; 2016 Ram Eco-diesel 4WD Crew
Posts: 476
We like a single lever kitchen faucet with pull-out sprayer, and so bought one at Home Depot or Lowes in B.C. and provided it to ETI in advance. Keep an eye on clearance from the window shade protusion if selecting a single handle model. They would need to know well enough in advance so they only cut one hole in the Formica. Speaking of Formica, special ordering your favorite color is an option -- usually $100.
On the double sink, bear in mind that the second sink bowl means having more drain piping underneath, and losing precious kitchen storage.
Bill and Earline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 08:45 AM   #19
Senior Member
 
Vermilye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Oswego, New York
Trailer: 2017 Escape 21, 2018 Ford F150
Posts: 3,437
I have a link that includes photographs of some of the modifications I've done to my Escape 17B. Many are now available as a factory option so the photos may help understanding them, and answer some of your questions.
__________________
Jon Vermilye My Travel Blog
Travel and Photo Web Page ... My Collection of RV Blogs 2018 F150 3.5EB, 2017 21
Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 12:13 PM   #20
Senior Member
 
NW Cat Owner's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Seatac, Washington
Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Posts: 2,838
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
"T-valve", not "t-value": a valve that allows pumping plumbing antifreeze into the fresh water system to winterize.
HA! Guess I can't read my own writing. V, U - big difference, huh?



Thanks Brian B-P for your answers.
__________________

__________________
Laura, Dirk and Spike & Sam & Jasper (the cats)
www.UnderKittySupervision.com
My blog: https://www.underkittysupervision.co...upervisioncom/
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off






» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Escape Trailer Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:53 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.
×