What does an Inverter add? - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 11-06-2014, 01:53 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 15
What does an Inverter add?

I don't quite understand what an inverter does. Can anyone explain? Do you need one to add solar? thanks
__________________

redhead23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 02:00 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Dave Walter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19 & 15B
Posts: 1,874
When you are not connected to alternating current power (i.e. 120V AC), an inverter converts your 12V DC battery power to 120V AC (when you are connected to AC power, there is no need to have an inverter). Usually the inverter is ok to run AC appliances having a relatively low power consumption. However, they do tend to drain your batteries fairly quickly. You do not need an inverter to use solar power on board your trailer. If you do not bring any 120V devices with you and rely solely on 12V devices, you would have no need for an inverter. Many people do this. Others, however, like to power their microwaves, coffee makers, or other devices using 120V, thus may prefer to have an inverter.
__________________

__________________
2013-19' & 2013-15B {avg is two 17's}, towed by 2011 Toyota FJ Cruiser

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 02:01 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: North Van., British Columbia
Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
Posts: 3,290
An inverter uses the 12 volt power of the trailer battery to make 110 volt AC. It allows the use of devices such as a microwave.

Some people have no use for them and others love being able to use 110 volt devices.

Lots of info on the forum. It's yet another item where there's lots of individual opinions. I've had them for years, don't use it too much but when you need it it's nice to have.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 02:05 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Des Plaines, Illinois
Trailer: 2014 Escape 19 (TV: 2007 Chevy Tahoe)
Posts: 111
Lets see if I get this right.... The inverter converts 12v dc to 120v ac. The inverter supplies power to your 120v outlets when your not plugged in to campsite power. For us, it means my wife can use her hair drier, and we can use the microwave, and use other 110 volt devices. Because the power drain will be significant when using 110 we don't plan to use it but for a few min. at a time, or for the day. We upgraded to a 1500 watt, pure sine wave inverter. The pure sine wave is significant for use of sensitive electronic devices. And, yes, we have solar to recharge the batteries so we don't have to be "plugged-in" to use electricity.
pkgman
pkgman51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 02:16 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Zardoz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Marana, Arizona
Trailer: 2017 5.0 TA
Posts: 1,050
Be sure to familiarize yourself with all your options before you make a final decision on how you want to set-up your system. Built in sine wave inverters are pretty costly. When we don't have access to 120V power, I only use an inverter for my TV and stereo. I bought small, relatively inexpensive plug-in inverters that have the advantage of portability and both include USB ports for charging mobile devices.
Zardoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 02:25 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
OneOleMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Seattle, Washington
Trailer: 2015 17B Sold 5/2016
Posts: 345
If you’re on the fence about an inverter think about what you may actually need one for. I was borderline for a while until it dawned on me there are times I need to charge the battery for an oxygen concentrator, (not a good idea to have a dead battery for that), and I may want to take my ham radio with me.
__________________
Pat
Life is Good
When "Escaping Reality" Sold 5/2016
2012 4Runner
OneOleMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 02:27 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Delta, British Columbia
Trailer: 2015 5.0TA
Posts: 272
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zardoz View Post
Be sure to familiarize yourself with all your options before you make a final decision on how you want to set-up your system. Built in sine wave inverters are pretty costly. When we don't have access to 120V power, I only use an inverter for my TV and stereo. I bought small, relatively inexpensive plug-in inverters that have the advantage of portability and both include USB ports for charging mobile devices.
I use a small (400 amp) inverter to power the speakers for the flip down DVD player. While the input for the speakers (Bose computer speakers) was 12 volts they didn't like the RV's 12 volts. An auto audio shop suggested I use an inverter to go from the trailers 12 volts to 110 and then through to the speakers via the small 110-12v transformer that came with the speakers. Works well.
GerriJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 02:58 PM   #8
Site Team
 
Donna D.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Portland, Oregon
Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Posts: 6,836
Housekeeping! I use a vacuum to clean Ten Forward. There's no electricity available where the 5er is stored. But, since I have an inverter and the batteries are fully charged, I can clean it anyway.

Okay, that's a lame excuse for needing one. But it works for me!
__________________
Donna D.
Ten Forward
2014 Escape 5.0TA
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 02:59 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: none, Washington, D.C.
Trailer: None
Posts: 1,083
transformer confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by GerriJ View Post
I use a small (400 amp) inverter to power the speakers for the flip down DVD player. While the input for the speakers (Bose computer speakers) was 12 volts they didn't like the RV's 12 volts. An auto audio shop suggested I use an inverter to go from the trailers 12 volts to 110 and then through to the speakers via the small 110-12v transformer that came with the speakers. Works well.
The trailer's 12 volt system is DC . A transformer only works on AC (AC in AC out) Are the speakers 12 volts AC or DC ? Just curious
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 03:36 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
rbryan4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: San Antonio, Texas
Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2015 F150 Ecoboost
Posts: 7,618
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkgman51 View Post
Lets see if I get this right.... The inverter converts 12v dc to 120v ac. The inverter supplies power to your 120v outlets when your not plugged in to campsite power. For us, it means my wife can use her hair drier, and we can use the microwave, and use other 110 volt devices. Because the power drain will be significant when using 110 we don't plan to use it but for a few min. at a time, or for the day. We upgraded to a 1500 watt, pure sine wave inverter. The pure sine wave is significant for use of sensitive electronic devices. And, yes, we have solar to recharge the batteries so we don't have to be "plugged-in" to use electricity.
pkgman
With one caveat - the inverter provides ac power to your 110V outlets when you have a transfer switch also. The transfer switch allows the 110V outlet to be "switched" from shore power to the ac power coming from the inverter. Otherwise, you plug your ac devices into the inverter directly.
__________________

__________________
"You can't buy happiness, but you can buy an RV. And that is pretty close."
rbryan4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off






» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:28 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.