Where do you keep your dulcimer? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 04-25-2019, 06:13 PM   #1

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Where do you keep your dulcimer?

So, hating wasted space and needing storage for an antique, wormy chestnut, Appalachian dulcimer I was restoring I realized that the space under the top stair of the 2017 5.0 TA was totally vacant, so, adding a 3/4 inch floor, laminating to form a 1.5 inch thick step, and voila, a secure, accessible and suitable home for the dulcimer.
Attached Thumbnails
F3087520-82F4-4E08-B7DD-222315E09719.jpg   D756187F-A20E-4288-9ACF-5FCE4B5751EB.jpg   2A168828-DDAE-4DA9-BBB5-4C4F65644DFF.jpg  
Ice Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 06:17 PM   #2
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Good job! In the Classic 5.0, ETI actually installed a door there. This is a lousy pic...
Attached Thumbnails
~Capture.jpg  
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 06:22 PM   #3

Top step space

Thanks Donna! So interesting that when you spend six months living in a trailer you see things and possibilities that the excitement of the “pick up” hid from you. So glad we got the 5.0 it has been a joy to own.
Old 04-25-2019, 06:41 PM   #4

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Sweet!
Attached Thumbnails
cupcakes.jpg  
Old 04-25-2019, 07:36 PM   #5

Trailer: 1998 Casita Spirit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Fox View Post
So, hating wasted space and needing storage for an antique, wormy chestnut, Appalachian dulcimer I was restoring I realized that the space under the top stair of the 2017 5.0 TA was totally vacant, so, adding a 3/4 inch floor, laminating to form a 1.5 inch thick step, and voila, a secure, accessible and suitable home for the dulcimer.
Very cool! Now if I can only figure out where to store my fiddle in my 17’ Casita. I’m thinking it will be a little easier if I get the 21’ Escape I’m dreaming of. In case anyone is wondering, it is possible to carry a 3/4 size upright bass in a Casita on the bed—the hard part is turning the corner coming in the door!
Lisa M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 08:10 PM   #6

Traveling with stringed instruments

When we had our 17 ft Casita Independence we had to get by using the front cupboard and under the bed etc -- tight and awkward. With the Escape 5.0 TA the spaces beside the upper level bed and under the upper stair allow me to take a dulcimer, Nikos Apollonio made Waldzither and a Fender Jazzmaster along with a Roland Microcube amplifier. What an upgrade! But where to put a piano ?
Old 04-25-2019, 08:14 PM   #7

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
My wife's keyboard just fits in the now accessible top stair.

My Uke fits about anywhere.
Old 04-25-2019, 08:28 PM   #8

Don't try that with a Rhodes

When I got a Rhodes Stage Piano in the 80s it was considered "portable". At 130 pounds and bulky as a small car it was not compatible with the Escape, so, it now has a new home.the new keyboards are a whole different experience and can likely be played with a 1/8 inch Jack through the trailer stereo.
Old 04-25-2019, 09:31 PM   #9

My guitar in case goes along my side of the bed. Other than the truck, it is the only place it fits.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 07:48 AM   #10

Its all about making you life fit your space

The Casita, and now the 5.0TA made me realize that guitars are like everything else — they come in different shapes and sizes. After trying to shoehorn my beloved Gretsch 6117 into our units it became evident that it was time to find something smaller and so, as we traveled I began visiting music stores and trying out everything I could in search of the right size, feel and sound. Eventually I settled on a Fender Jazzmaster and matching case. Lighter, and much thinner than the Gretsch it has made for a great replacement and is thin enough I could put two of the rectangular travel cases in the same space that the 6117 took up.
Old 04-26-2019, 08:10 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Fox View Post
The Casita, and now the 5.0TA made me realize that guitars are like everything else — they come in different shapes and sizes. After trying to shoehorn my beloved Gretsch 6117 into our units it became evident that it was time to find something smaller and so, as we traveled I began visiting music stores and trying out everything I could in search of the right size, feel and sound. Eventually I settled on a Fender Jazzmaster and matching case. Lighter, and much thinner than the Gretsch it has made for a great replacement and is thin enough I could put two of the rectangular travel cases in the same space that the 6117 took up.
Ah, the never ending quest for that right guitar for taking with the trailer.

I have looked at several other guitars, something smaller than my early 80's Fender Balboa, I have yet to find one quite right, with a combination of nice size, nice to play, and nice sound. While I found a few, none of them beat the action and neck size of my Fender. Having owned my guitar for near 40 years now, it just suits me. I do have a Martin Packpaker which is quite small and I take on canoe trips, which is okay for that, but not near as enjoyable to play.

Maybe someday...........
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote